Continuious Furler Question

Young Entertainer

Go a continuious furler that I have connected to the code zero. Al held out at the end of the prod on the tack line. Tack line has a clip that can swivel. Problem is that eevery now and again when unfurling the sail the furling line keeps wrapping arounf the furler. i.e the whole furler twists not just the drum.

I am putting reasonable tension on the Luff but do I need more, or do i need to swap the clip for one that cant rotate?

I put another block in the endless line system and lash it tight against the furler so that it can't rotate around the stay. It needs attention as things stretch, especially during a coastal. But it works well.

Yes Craig what Boo Boo said two to one tack line with the attachment points separated and a non rotating clip or I have on Danaide a fixed tack of non rotating line, give me a call if you want a look.

just stick a block in the endless loop. sorts the problem and keeps in it reach. thought about a 2:1 tack to stop clutch slippage but it just worked out too much of a hassel, cruising boat so has bow cleats. end up with a loop that catches on stuff on its way out. non swiveling snap shackel? dont think that will fix the drum spinning around problem to be honest the small amount of line after the block on a 1:1 tack line will still be able to twist up a few times.

2:1 with a non swiveling snap shackel? what happens when you pull the thing out there and find its got a 180 twist in it?

a block in the loop is the cheapest easiest fix i recon.

Sticking a block in the endless loop is easier said than done! Antal do some really nice little 'twist to open' snatch blocks. Get in touch with Tim from Hall spars. I'm sure he'll sell you one. Saves unsplicing your loop.

ant-63819.jpg

One of these little snatch blocks attached to a bungee is a nice way to stop the furler line tangling.

You still need the 2:1 to stop the whole drum spinning.

One of the Antal 9030 is $42 including GST. We have stock.

One of the best things we did was to make the furler line longer. On the AC45 they run the furler line right to the back beam, this way any crew member can help furl from anywhere on the boat, rather than having to go right forward.

Then we have a retractable bungee system to keep it out of the way when not in use.

Hall Spars and Rigging 09 427 5472 (ext 3)

Tim Willetts

I have had a bit to do with these things.

Just remove the swiveling shackle. Stop the drum turning. Try that first, could be cheapest option.

The idea of the block in the line on a bungy works well but suggest try option one first.

www.beaumarine.co.nz

Archived