Auck vs Tauranga

Fogg

A mate is importing a 40ft fast motor boat from the US, can elect either Auck or Tauranga for shipping. Auck is preferrable as it's final destination but for some reason a lot more expensive.

So, any ideas on the following appreciated:

1. Approx. cost of hauling a 40ft motor boat via road from Tauranga to Auck?

2. Distance (by sea) from Tauranga to Auck?

3. Who the best outfit is for servicing/recommissioning 2 x large Mercruiser inboard engines - in Auck and/or Trg?

4. What kind of card we need for a Northstar plotter to get local NZ charts and where from?

Cheers

Of course the question is academic since under the treaty obligations accepted by the crown at Waitangi in 1840, no launches are permitted on the east coast of the North Island.

Absolutely, the northern Maori tribes were very forward thinking, two coasts, one coast for yachts and one for launches. yachts on the east, launches on the west.

They believed that when the combustion engine would be invented, it's noise and wakes from vessels using it would stir up no end of Taniwha and would disturb the spirits of the dead. All and all the west coast was a much better place for them as the dead wouldn't be seen dead over there.

Curiously they added a codasyl in 1848 that jetskis and politicians weren't permitted outside of Wellington.

Give Bruce Goodchap a call at Turanga Bridge Marina Travelift. 021 685 438

When the Port of Auckland saga was on he commissioned a few Caribbeans in from Oz.

Errr, yeah it's bascially a drug-runners boat. It'll probably be one of the fastest vessels in the area with top speed over 60kts, assuming we can get it back around from Tauranga in one piece. Hitting one of those containers doesn't really bear thinking about...

3925346_-1_20120516102425_0_0.jpg

Errr, yeah it's bascially a drug-runners boat. It'll probably be one of the fastest vessels in the area with top speed over 60kts, assuming we can get it back around from Tauranga in one piece. Hitting one of those containers doesn't really bear thinking about...

3925346_-1_20120516102425_0_0.jpg

recent reports have that the remaining Rena containers no longer float.

That's good news. Never sailed out of Tauranga before. Is there much space in the harbour for sea trials before we depart?

I used to look after something like one of those about 24yrs years ago. Twin 454 chevy motors on mercruiser legs. The owner said to me, "take it out with your wife anytime you like". I went home and told my wife and she asked, "oh wow, where can we go??". My reply was, well with what that thing drinks, to the end of the Marina and back. We never did take the owner up on the offer. The owner took a trip from Picton to Nelson with it once. $600 in petrol one way and remember, that was 24yrs ago. The thing sure could tramp though.

Yeah don't think the target market for these boats is particularly cash conscious - not when they're only doing a one-way trip from Colombia to Florida with $10m of coke stashed under the floorboards.

That's good news. Never sailed out of Tauranga before. Is there much space in the harbour for sea trials before we depart?

Depends upon what sort of trials - today you would not have wanted to go out of the harbour - twas a bit lumpy.

If just running the boat at 20knots I would say plenty of space in the harbour as long as your wake is not going to trash things.

Come to Tauranga AC, a far nicer place than Jafaland!. Plenty of spare berths at the bridge marina until its delivered to Auckland. Tga harbour has room for seatrials, but take note of where the channels are! Lots of areas get dry at low tides.

And let me know when ya going out for a speed trial :P

What motors do the merc's have on them?

Anything electrical, I find that Rutherfords are pretty good in Tga, as far as a merc mechanic goes, probably better to ask on a eggbeater forum.

Looks like we're getting the engine servicing sorted, some ex-raceboat guy or summink.

Think they're twin 500s or similar, apparently good for "70 mph". :shock:

Looks like we're getting the engine servicing sorted, some ex-raceboat guy or summink.

Think they're twin 500s or similar, apparently good for "70 mph". :shock:

Pair of 502's? I used to race a jet sprinter with one of them in it. Powerful beasties, but an immense thirst!.

Archived