Fire at McMullen & Wing boat building premises

rigger

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10826401

Up to 90 firefighters have spent the night battling a huge blaze on a luxury yacht moored in an east Auckland boat building warehouse.

Fire Service northern communications centre shift manager Jaron Phillips said emergency services were called to the McMullen & Wing boat building premises on Gabador Place, Mount Wellington, about 1.10am.

Hmmm, I often wonder with Fires, once they become major like that, are they worth putting out. You end up with a huge mess to clean up rather than a Loader and a Dump truck to clean up the ashes.

Anyone know what the boat was??

They finished Big Fish a couple of years ago and this was a bigger one , believe it was called Starfish 52 metres or so, sure hope its not a start again deal and the insurance was all paid up :thumbdown: Might be a few subbies sweating right now :thumbdown:

Hmmm, I often wonder with Fires, once they become major like that, are they worth putting out. You end up with a huge mess to clean up rather than a Loader and a Dump truck to clean up the ashes.

Anyone know what the boat was??

When they're like this one it's more a case of its being too dangerous to send guys in so let it burn itself out. Apparently (don't quote me on this one) it was a barrel of resin being nicely heated for the next day that went up in smoke, and it just happened to be underneath that big boat

A steel boat with alloy superstructure JH don't think there would be a barrel o resin anywhere near, unless there was some composite walls or something and even then they would probably be built to exact measurments off site and installed closer to finish :silent:

I really feel for the MMW guys. So much time, money and effort. I hope they're well covered and the hull structure is in a state where some degree of recovery can be made. This is a really unique and interesting design also. Just the kind of project that keeps NZ marine companies up on the world stage.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10827309

So whats the deal? Here is an article saying 100 guys might be out of work but in the article is this....

Commercial manager Michael Eaglen said staff were being kept up to date about the project, which has been stalled for several months.

So were they working on it or not, if not why not? What were the 100 guys doing for the last few months?

Archived