A question for the chain guru

John B

Sailor suit?

Oh yeah, i can remember that too. I have an old black and white somewhere buried deep. Reaaaal Deep.

Wheels, I think a shrink could make some good coin out of you.. Either that, or run screaming from the room! :D :D

Yeap know all about the DB30, .....

The third pic was taken not far from where your pic was taken I think.

I've got a copy of that vid of the runaway reel, I think it might be on you tube as well. Lots of sparcks at night.

Jeeze. Small world. Have to watch what you say on here!! That photo was right outside the dive shack on the DB30. Yeah, the runaway reel is the sparks at night one. It's a goody! I can't get U tube here or I would post it. Don't tell anyone in the offshore world how long I spend on crew.org... :oops: :oops: :oops:

I've got a copy of that vid of the runaway reel, I think it might be on you tube as well. Lots of sparcks at night.

Jeeze. Small world. Have to watch what you say on here!! That photo was right outside the dive shack on the DB30. Yeah, the runaway reel is the sparks at night one. It's a goody! I can't get U tube here or I would post it. Don't tell anyone in the offshore world how long I spend on crew.org... :oops: :oops: :oops:

I've been out of the offshore for a little while now, working closer to home, do you know the Waynes, that is the Aussie one and the Kiwi one?

I've been out of the offshore for a little while now, working closer to home, do you know the Waynes, that is the Aussie one and the Kiwi one?

Not sure. What are their positions on board? I was on the 30 in West Australia 2007/2008, and Vietnam late 2008 with the Saturation diving crew.

Not sure. What are their positions on board? I was on the 30 in West Australia 2007/2008, and Vietnam late 2008 with the Saturation diving crew.

They were anchor foremen when I worked with them, they might be on the 26 or KP-1.

Were Jono or Stu still there on 07/08, pos barge Super?

They were anchor foremen when I worked with them, they might be on the 26 or KP-1.

Were Jono or Stu still there on 07/08, pos barge Super?

Yeah Jono and Stu both on that job. Jono's fault that the jacket tipped over like that. He couldn't wait for calm weather, and when they launched it they broke one of the seals on the legs and flooded it. He also wouldn't turn the barge bow to the weather when it got rough (Too much lost time) and consequently the waves destroyed a purpose built gangway they had lashed to the stern.. Cost him a bit of time that did! (Pic below)

Anyway talk about thread drift!! Very small world though!!!

walkway.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: You 2 like someone to book a Motel room. Can do it just for an hour if that helps :lol: :lol: :lol:

That last photo looks like an expensive cock-up.

Jeeze KM. You're fixated on motel rooms at the moment. You been looking at other sites? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Yeah, Jono, the Kiwi Barge Superintendent, wouldn't turn the Barge bow to the waves, gambling that the weather would drop. It got worse, and the straight walkway that was complete with built in welding leads, lighting cables etc, got turned into an inverted U.. Got cut up for scrap and the built a new one there on the barge.

It's always a worry these supervisors who fixate on the bottom line. The last time they did it, (Finish the job no matter a typhoon is coming) they lost the barge and killed a bunch of people (DB29). Including 6 (I think) divers who were in saturation and couldn't lock out before the barge sank. Wrote notes to their loved ones and strapped them to their bodies. They knew what was going to happen.. Heard it directly from a Kiwi who was on board and broke his back getting off...

Just watch for something* in the wider H Gulf that is staining some metals. It looks exactly like rust and even dribbles on your deck like rust but it isn't rust. We are trying to find out what it could be but no joy so far. It's that bad in some spots a 2 month old perfectly fine galv chain looks like it's 5 years old and needs regalving. It's weird as the staining will be on top of galvanising that is still 100%. When I slipped my boat last year my bulb was rusty as a rusty thing even though it's lead. The water blaster removed a lot of it but some stayed. *I took a sample of the goop from the marina under my boat but the lab said it had so much different shite in it they couldn't really pin it down to something specific. The search continues. So make sure your rust is actually rust 1st I think. It's almost like a semi-water soluble dye. No specific spots as to where but it appears Ponui way is one of them.

I love a nice bit of thread drift.

but that comment has me wondering a bit.

This is the photo of one of my kids swimming with dolphins that caused the chain guru to comment on its 'rusty' state

IMG_6283_1.jpg

Now I think about it more it was a sudden sort of occurence.. fine at the beginning of the season and the crissy cruise and then one weeked at Rakino I think and it looked like that. Got me wondering a bit. The chain is wearing its galv but that did surprise me.

2 important things 1st.

1 - Galv does wear off from both rubbing in seabeds and as it's supposed too being a sacrificial layer. Some bottoms like Coral sand for example have torn the galv off inside 6 months on occasions.

2 - Grinna is right, I'm also bloody sure that's knot a Dolphin :lol:

It could be the staining, hard to say via interweb. Get in and have a close suss by scratching a link a little. Maybe a good scrub with a plastic steelo thing. If it's bare steel underneath you have rust, if knot it could be just stained. Or of course it could be a bit of both.

Don't forget the bit that is in contact with the seabed will have the least amount of galv left.

That's a funny looking dolphin.

Did you mean the dogphin. :lol: :lol:

I can actually be more specific about the species .... a golden dogphin.

This type can be trained to retrieve. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Meanwhile, back at the chain shop on the hard, I was reading my new book last knight.

Yes I know, joined up words and sentences of more than 6 words are difficult. Luckily there are pictures every so often.

=> "RENEWING CHAIN

Re-galvanising is expensive.

To restore chain whose galvanising has been worn away,

end for end the cable,

wire brush it throughly,

and soak it in boiled linseed oil for as long a possible."

From Sailing Secrets Advice from the Masters, page 9

by Michael Badham and Robby Robinson

ISBN 0-07-039088-6 or Paperback ISBN 0-07-134869-7

My $62.50 paperback copy came from Borders Sylvis Park.

Any body been here, done this :?: :think:

'course its a dolphin, too damn small for an orca .

kNo it's knot too small, it's the wrong colour :!:

How do you train a clever dog like that kNOT to jump over the side for a swim when you are sailing along :?:

Meanwhile, back at the chain shop on the hard, I was reading my new book last knight.

Yes I know, joined up words and sentences of more than 6 words are difficult. Luckily there are pictures every so often.

=> "RENEWING CHAIN

end for end the cable,

wire brush it throughly,

Knot me but I don't think that would be a long term 'repair'. I'm of the thought that it'll wash off sort of thing sooner rather than later. If you used some sticky as shite like motorbike chain lube I'd be far happier. That stuff sticks like a daughter to your wallet, it's horrendous.

Shows D1 Johns photo and she's sure it's knot a Dolphin either. She thinks the Lab wouldn't look so happy if that was a big fish just behind it. And then it all went 'fish verse mammal'.

=> "RENEWING CHAIN

end for end the cable,

wire brush it throughly,

not with linseed oil but with fish oil,

every year we did it to both chains, it was part of the annual maintenance when vessel was on the slip (~150ft vessel)

We would lay the anchors and chain out for inspection and measuring, change out any worn or damaged shackle lengths, re mark the chain, and as it was being restowed it went through a fish oil bath, a messy and smelly job.

Not sure how long it lasted on the chain that ended up in the water but the chain that never left the chain locker was always in good condition or at least the same condition as it went into the locker. This was ungalvanised chain.

Last October we put several coats of linseed oil on LD's chain, just the first 5-10 metres or so up to the anchor swivel where it was beginning to rust. When it dried, the rusty bits went all black and we put it back into the chain locker.

The coating has just ... only just .. survived the summer, hence my interest in the preceding comments.

As a temporay fix, it wasn't too bad, but definitely not long term. No apparent staining in the chain locker either.

Archived