Replacement boom

Norwegian Blue

In near perfect conditions (10 to 12 knts) on Sunday the boom decided it had had enough and bust in half at the mainsheet end :?

Does anyone have a suitable lightish one lying around looking for a new home? Whiting 26, so no huge loads. 3.9m to 4.0m

Most of the fittings would be transferable. I would like to be sorted in time for the next SSANZ if possible.

Suggestions welcome......

yippie i mean ah damn. nathans got an old 727 boom...... bit short me thinks. there was a blue ross 930........

iv snapped 2 booms. cursed? one crusing the 930 when i was a baby (ok it was dad driving) and another gybing at tapeka pt on the way back from the coastal on the S34 (ok it was already cracked at the mainsheet padeye), passed the chico 40s under trisail/number 2.

I went through this recently for nearly the same length boom.

Grant jenkins had one that might work but is a bit short of 4m.

I eventually had Quarterback (John Bennet, Sparloft) make one and his turnaround was less than a week (I painted it myself) and the cost seemed reasonable.

Good luck!

just as an aside, do the insurers write down the value of your rig every year? Seems fair to payout on a broken boom if it was only 6 months old, but if it was say, 25y old, a little corroded with 57 different holes from old and new fittings etc I wouldn't really expect my insurance to pay. How does it work? I never looked into teh details having never lost a rig.

I went through this recently for nearly the same length boom.

I eventually had Quarterback (John Bennet, Sparloft) make one and his turnaround was less than a week (I painted it myself) and the cost seemed reasonable.

Ditto. John did a splendid job in no time at all. Extremely happy with the result and price. :clap: :clap: The new boom is MUCH stiffer.

Insurance did cover the cost less an inflated excess because we were racing at the time :thumbup:

Archived