please be active and help to stop the Bastard trawler.

idlerboat

....This is the second largest trawler in the world...ITS HUGE !!

Now here is the joke....it will "only" catch within set management quotas....

OK..but its going to catch it in the ONE area...that is where the bloody boat is.

Now that is just not scientific...thats a case of lying with statistics.

The people who are going to get the money say it is "a modernisation of the fishery, that makes economic sense".. well I totaly agree with that statement.....cheaper to run and takes way more...

This dosnt mean that it is in anyway responsible or has long term fisheries at heart.

PLEASE ADD YOUR VOICE.

THIS IS THE SECOND LARGEST IN THE WORLD , AND ITS FISHING YOUR PATCH TOO...SURE...JUST THE OTHER SIDE OF THE IMAGINARY LINE....BUT THAT IS THE POINT..FISH DONT LIVE IN CONVINENT AREAS FOR OUR PRODUCTION OR THEIR SURVIVAL.

SMALL WORLD...

Super trawler arriving amidst high security

MICHAEL FIELD

Last updated 13:29 30/08/2012

One of the world's largest super trawlers is due in Australia today to take Tasman Sea jack mackerel in an operation that terrifies environmentalists.

The 9500 tonne 142 metre Dutch owned Margiris is in Port Flinders in South Australia with a quota from the Australian Fisheries Management Authority to take 18,000-tonnes of mainly mackerel and some redbait, due this morning.

The ship, twice the size of anything that has ever fished in the Tasman, comes from a Dutch fleet that is now banned on West Africa's coast after destroying the fishery there.

It has also severely damaged fishing in the North Atlantic and the mackerel fishery off South America.

Margiris has caused a political uproar in Australia and there is industry speculation that it could operate here.

There would be little in New Zealand law to stop it once it obtained a quota.

The biggest deep sea trawler operating out of New Zealand, Sealord's chartered Aleksandr Buryachenko, which also takes mackerel, is about half the size by displacement of Margiris.

A Matamata dairy farmer, Matthew Zonderop, has worked on the super-trawlers and says everything should be done to keep them out of our waters.

"We are asking for trouble, they will just plunder us, take everything and go," he said.

Margiris will operate as a joint venture between Seafish Tasmania and Seafish Tasmania Pelagic, a fully owned subsidiary of the long established Dutch company Parlevliet and Van der Plas BV.

One of the directors of Seafish Tasmania is Auckland multi-millionaire Peter Simunovich whose family is on the NBR Rich List worth $180 million.

The late Ivan Simunovich made the family fortune on the scampi trade before selling it out to Sanford Fishing in 2004 for $137 million.

Zonderop, who began on North Atlantic super-trawlers as a deck hand and rose to become a mate, says a single super-trawler could take in just under a month New Zealand's entire 120,000 tonne hoki annual allowable catch. It could take one of the key southern blue whiting annual quotas in a single voyage.

"These ships are really efficient, they take everything they target," he said.

"Our New Zealand fishery does not have the sustainability of the North Sea and North Atlantic.... We don't have that and our fish stakes wouldn't sustain a trawler of that size."

Zonderop said when he first went into a herring fishery north of Iceland, they were taking fish as big as his arm; within five years they were only as big as his hand.

"It was pure greed; the people who ran the boats did not know the word sustainability."

In cold waters, such as the North Sea, the super trawlers had very low by-catches and he believed it would be the same chasing pelagic species around New Zealand.

"They are very efficient and very ruthless."

Zonderop said super-trawlers had 1500 metre long nets with very wide openings and powerful engines. With their sonars they could quickly identify mid-ocean schools of fish and sweep them in.

Each net shoot would take around 1000 tonnes of fish - against around 100 tonnes for the average sized trawler in New Zealand. The net cod-end was never hauled up onto a factory deck; super-trawlers pump fish straight from the net, as it lay astern.

The fish would not be damaged as occurs when nets are hauled onto decks.

The nets could be quickly reset and a super-trawler could do around 18 shots over three days - 18,000 tonnes of fish in that time.

"If they came here they would take everything in a year and then be gone.

"What would happen to the rest of the fishing industry after them?"

Much of their catch was destined for third world African markets or as pet food or fishmeal.

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation says South Australian port authorities have now confirmed the trawler has requested a berth in Port Lincoln.

Environmentalist from Greenpeace managed to delay its departure from the Dutch port of Ijmuiden for five days.

The Tasmanian Conservation Trust says that ''the fish the Margiris will target are a vital food source for important species like the critically endangered southern bluefin tuna, seabirds, marine mammals and game fish.

"Trawlers of this type have a horrendous record of by-catch and the ship itself represents a direct threat to marine mammals like dolphins and seals."

Tuna Club of Tasmania vice president Martin Haley says there is strong opposition to the "ocean-going vacuum cleaner's impending arrival".

Greenpeace say the ''bloated fleet'' of heavily subsidised European trawlers have fished their own waters to near collapse and they've ''brought fisheries to their knees everywhere they've been since''.

Radical environmentalists Sea Shepherd say Margiris will have a huge impact.

"If overfishing does not stop, the world's fisheries will completely collapse by 2048," they claim, adding ''allowing this super trawler to operate in Australia's waters would be a further sealing of humanities fate."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/ ... h-security

Holy :wtf:

Unbelievable it can have done so much damage elsewhere and yet still be able to move into new territories.

The petfood aspect is the ultimate insult. :evil:

I don't exactly see a difference with the size. There is little difference between a fleet of Fishing Ships or one big Ship. They all act like vacuum cleaners. Both large and small Fishing trawlers take entire schools, no matter how big the Ship. I really don't see the argument being the size of the vessel.

The real argument should be what is being caught, how it is being caught, how much of it is being caught and and what it is being used for. I feel it is totally wrong that Fish should be caught on mass and turned into fertilizer. I feel it is totally wrong that any Fishing vessel should be able to use nets that can take entire schools, that long lines in the miles of length should be allowed to be used, and that our NZ waters should be allowed to be fished by other countries.

There is a big differance.....

firstly...The Super trawler is big !

As such it employs far fewer people and catches far more.

It has far larger nets...Sure ten small nets may equal the width of one large....but those smaller ones dont run exactly parralel to each other at the same time on the same trawl line.

Wider nets make it harder for larger species to escape because they have to travel sideways further and faster to get past the encroaching net. Think dolphin.

If the super trawler was simply a unrelated statistic, why is it that it has been kicked out from other fisheries AFTER it has been there.

HUGE nets have heavy gear and do much more damage to the sea bottom when they touch..Can you imagine for a second the lines and power behind these setups ?

So called targetting....Sure, its what all fisherman try and do. Whats left over is so called Bycatch...or mostly DEAD fish that gets thrown back in the water.

"We didnt take any endanged species because we are not allowed"....pity that a few went back mangled or dead.

Try this as a wiki quote

In 1997, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) defined bycatch as “total fishing mortality, excluding that accounted directly by the retained catch of target species”. Bycatch contributes to fishery decline and is a mechanism of overfishing for unintentional catch.[1]

Super BIG trawlers need to get the nets shot away as quickly as possible so they suck the fish out of the cod end !! they dont land it ..So what happens to the bycatch ? How do you release a turtle down the side shoot ?

I can tell you that some turtles have been caught so many times that they know the way out the shoot themselves...Not sure what they would think of a bloody big suction pipe...

There is a very good reason to make it MORE expensive and HARDER to catch wild fish. It creates an economic value. It means that its better to allow the fishery to mature and be sustainable rather than being a quick source of cheap protein for commercial cat food.

Remember big fish need little fish to eat ! Plenty of fish stocks have collapsed because of the over fishing of so called "Low Value" small size stocks.

I could go on.....

https://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/mari ... lkPTk0NQ==

firstly...The Super trawler is big !

Red hearing.

As such it employs far fewer people and catches far more.

No different to any other industry world wide today.

If the super trawler was simply a unrelated statistic, why is it that it has been kicked out from other fisheries AFTER it has been there.

Kicked out??? I suggest they have nothing left to catch and leave. But that is not because of size, but because the Country has not stopped them entering said countries waters in the first place....for many varied reasons.

It has far larger nets...Sure ten small nets may equal the width of one large....but those smaller ones dont run exactly parralel to each other at the same time on the same trawl line.

Wider nets make it harder for larger species to escape because they have to travel sideways further and faster to get past the encroaching net. Think dolphin.

No different to smaller nets. I hate net fishing because it is indescriminate. A entire school is capable of being scooped up in the smaller nets as it is in the bigger. This is also a red hearing. Fishing is about economy. No point in wasting fuel and time by taking a vast swipe of empty ocean. They target the school, and try and encompass just that school and not the empty ocean around it.

Bycatch
Even smaller nets, Bycatch being returned to the sea unscathed is a joke. Fish do not survive at the bottom of trawl nets. They are crushed. Bycatch is nothing more or less than fishfood thrown back. Sucking fish from the end of the net is no more than an efficiency.
HUGE nets have heavy gear and do much more damage to the sea bottom when they touch..Can you imagine for a second the lines and power behind these setups ?
Another red hearing. These ships are not bottom trawlers for a starter. But even so, scraping the bottom or tearing the bottom up is still damage eitherway of looking at it.

Don't get me wrong, we are both on the same page re Fishing and Sustained stocks and so on. But don't be caught up with the Red hearing of size of ship. It only takes the argument away from the real issue. The real fight is to stop over fishing and protect waters world wide. The real reason behind these Super boats is being more efficient in the effort taken to catch the fish and more economic in operation by having less crew, less ships doing the same job, and store more catch aboard so as they can stay at Sea longer. Not a lot different to have a fleet ae sea with factory processing ships taking the catch from the trawler, it's just all done on the one vessel now.

Am here in Adelaide this week and went out to take a look - it's a huge boat. Keep in mind that one of the shareholders in this company is a prominent Auckland multi millionaire. Not a fan of this type of fishing but certainly one thing to keep in mind is that compliance is going to be a lot easier having one large boat over a lot of smaller boats operated by dodgy companies from who knows where.

Not sure on this but surely such a boat would be a lot more efficient as far as fuel usage etc goes. So if you are a subscriber to global warming surely you have nothing to moan about !! Less Carbon Footprint etc etc. Those greenies can't have it both ways can they?

Why don't they f*ck off back to where they came from? Fish all gone from there for some reason?

+10 on that, I maybe a little odd in my thoughts re fishing NZ waters, but I really think every fish caught in our territorial waters should be processed ashore bycatch included ......absolutely no factory processors whatsoever and if thats a burden to whoever then they can always f*ck off and fish elsewhere

I maybe a little odd in my thoughts re fishing NZ waters, but I really think every fish caught in our territorial waters should be processed ashore bycatch included ......absolutely no factory processors whatsoever and if thats a burden to whoever then they can always f*ck off and fish elsewhere

The problem with that is sea frozen fish is a far superior product to "fresh" fish. "Fresh" fish has often sat stewing in its own juices for up to a week before being unloaded and processed whilst sea frozen (factory ship) fish is generally processed and frozen with a few hours. This issue is a little like whaling in that there is a lot of emotive crap floating around. As Wheels said, it is pelagic trawling so no seabed damage if done correctly so cancel that objection. All that being said, I left the factory trawler fishing industry in the late 90s because I was unhappy with damage we were causing so I agree with not using these huge boats, but for the sake of the cause leave the emotion at home, get the facts right and things might be achieved.

I maybe a little odd in my thoughts re fishing NZ waters, but I really think every fish caught in our territorial waters should be processed ashore bycatch included ......absolutely no factory processors whatsoever and if thats a burden to whoever then they can always f*ck off and fish elsewhere

The problem with that is sea frozen fish is a far superior product to "fresh" fish. "Fresh" fish has often sat stewing in its own juices for up to a week before being unloaded and processed whilst sea frozen (factory ship) fish is generally processed and frozen with a few hours. This issue is a little like whaling in that there is a lot of emotive crap floating around. As Wheels said, it is pelagic trawling so no seabed damage if done correctly so cancel that objection. All that being said, I left the factory trawler fishing industry in the late 90s because I was unhappy with damage we were causing so I agree with not using these huge boats, but for the sake of the cause leave the emotion at home, get the facts right and things might be achieved.

having fished commercialy both inshore and offshore in Alaska in the 80's where you carried what you caught(tanked fish holds) I've seen firsthand just how this works, yes there were processors working at sea dealing with pollock and blackcod however for the most it was catch and carry, naturally this led to "what you don't catch now'll be there for another time" one thing that did strike me as brilliant was there was no actual quota system as such, you were given times and days to fish ie 48hrs south kodiak or lower cook inlet/ north kodiak/ false pass 72hrs(straight), weight didnt enter into it openings(time to fish in season) for salmon in cook inlet for example began with 7am to 7pm tuesdays and fridays firm, catches were assessed ashore and openings either lengthened or shortened accordingly, Bering crab tended to be more straight time and go for it if you can get it home, Halibut openings were particularly tight48>72 hrs total and that was it for the season, long way to go to be near weathered off the grounds believe me, so for NZ sovereign territory I for one say it is not unfeasible for this to work and work well as for the pelagic rapists.......deny em fuel and their range shrinks dramatically,

Moments ago, the Environment and Fisheries Ministers held a press conference in Canberra to announce that the huge fishing super trawler, the Abel Tasman (a.k.a the FV Margiris), will be banned from Australian waters for two years.

The super trawler was readying to leave port, set to trawl our oceans with a net longer than the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

A huge congratulations to GetUp member, Rebecca Hubbard, who started the 'Stop the Super Trawler' campaign on GetUp's community campaigning platform CommunityRun! Over the last month, Rebecca's campaign grew to 93,864 petition signatures, over 18,000 emails to the Fisheries Minister, a series of rallies on the ground, and a huge national print advertising campaign calling on the Minister to stop the trawler. Thanks go to Rebecca, our allies at Environment Tasmania, Greenpeace, and the 14 other conservation and fishing groups who worked on this!

....and I say again....show me an example where by slowing down and being cautious that we have done damage or indeed lessened the bounty that we exploit.

Also...show me an example where "larger" has benifited the majority AND the planet.

Finite is just that. All gone is just that. Extinct is just that.We even pretend that there is a boundary between "our" fish stocks and the rest of the world.

I assure you that neither the fish or poachers understand that.

The fisheries science is not flawed as such...its just local and focused. It has no mechanism to say "hey stop...we dont know for sure..and it would be safer to wait".....they wouldnt get paid for that kind of outcome.....hhhmmmmm.....

Archived