2nd Hand Marine Oven Wanted

I'm about to swap the old mariner princess oven on Fineline for a better one that i picked up on trademe. The old one mostly works but is a bit rough and the ignitor doesn't work. Let me know if you are interested.

If you go with the option above, the old Mariner stoves can still be serviced by the original manufacturer (in fact I think probably the original staff who assembled them back in the day) although they mentioned getting a bit low on some parts when I got ours done last year. Certainly got the ignition issues sorted with ours and I wished I had done it years ago.

Happier to have the old Mariner than some of the new ones that I see in the chandleries.

Just in the interest of your bank account, there is annecdotal evidence that you need a written quote before haveing your mariner overhauled as some parts (if they are still available) are astronomically priced. I have a mariner princess that needed tidying up, I was considering haveing it done based on an estimate of around $500.00. In the course of events I ran into a fellow who had had his done with a similar "estimate" who ended up with a bill around $1200.00. Needless to say I was frightened off as I found I couldn't get a firm quote.

Just in the interest of your bank account, there is annecdotal evidence that you need a written quote before haveing your mariner overhauled as some parts (if they are still available) are astronomically priced. I have a mariner princess that needed tidying up, I was considering haveing it done based on an estimate of around $500.00. In the course of events I ran into a fellow who had had his done with a similar "estimate" who ended up with a bill around $1200.00. Needless to say I was frightened off as I found I couldn't get a firm quote.

Have to say my experience was better than that - lower total cost and pretty much as expected and as a result, I was/am happy I had it done.

Could part of the issue be the fact that they can't accurately assess what's required until it is dropped off at their premises, by which time everyone is effectively committed to going ahead anyway?

I would have thought that, in this market particularly, it is possible to say (or put in writing if you are concerned): "I have $x that I am happy to spend on this but no more, please give the top priority items a birthday and stop when you have reached that amount."

Could even tape a sign to it to that effect: "This job $500 max" or something like that.

Archived