Auckland Boat Show 2012 Report + Pics

Fogg

I don't think it is a sign of the times as such, apart from the fact that the Exhibitors are very much looking for value for money. A stand is increadibly expensive and an exhibitor has to weigh up the expense against what they get from it. For instance, one past exhibitor (and member here) said they would not be there this year, because their stand cost them $8K and they got two small sales from it. I think you need to add in the exposure or advertising, but then maybe your particular business would be better off advertising elsewhere. That will vary from Business to Business.

I also know that a few of the private boat owners that were allowing their boats to be displayed for the New Boat Brokers/Importers, were told they could not stay for "refreshments" on their boats after the show and that annoyed several.

From a perspective of a Show Go'er, I have to agree that the Show is dead boring. There needs to be far more in the way of stuff happening. Like that Trade Challenge day thing that takes place down at Westhaven, where a team builds a boat and then races it. Not saying that event particularly, just saying that kind of "atmosphere" of things happening that can entertain a crowd. Otherwise, yeah it's paying $20 to go look at a shop.

However, as I have heard so many say last week, Peter Bussfeild will announce it was "the best show ever". Which makes me wonder if perhaps the show needs to be looked at in a whole new way, starting right at the top.

And another thing I hear more and more from Business Operators that come in to work, is that Mr Bussfeild seems to have a very different view of the Marine industry than what many are finding is reality at the moment. Without a doubt, the industry has been struggling for awhile and is not looking at any light at the end of the tunnel yet. It is things like shows that will help to generate some positive atmosphere in a very negative one at the moment.

Don,t expect The marine scene to improve for a very Long time.

Mortgagee sales are at a record high, besides auckland thre are record number of houses for sale, unemployment is growing faster that a fast thing, 1000 plus people are leaving NZ for Aussie a week...

Some economists are saying this is the new economy now! Thi is our lot. People are saving for a rainy day, have finally "got the Picture" with regard to investment risk And are only seeking safe haven exposure for thier investmemts.

NZ is a very expensive place to live and the only wat to change this is to have a recession and force the " greedy organisations" to rethink their profit levels.

People are sick of hearing a company say they made a loss Because profit was down from 230 million to 20 million and they will have to raise prices!... hello :wtf: You made a profit!

The greed has to stop and the govt has to Start introducing more competition into markets like local' Airlines, power generation, toll calls...

When in london i used a lebara sim card which cost one pound from tesco's and could call NZ for 1p per minute. So why are we paying the rates we are Locally

NZ pathetic reliance on milk is a liability and one trick pony And the super yacht building industry in NZ, despite what peter busfield says, is a industry in dire straits propped up with mud and sticks.

And whats happened to john Keys big cycle way plan.

If you don,t cut you cloth to This current economy and are hoping for some kind of miracle boost from somewhere then you are dreaming.

Its not good.... but its not greece.

I went friday for the first time ever and loved it we were there till closing and talked to lots of people on the stands.Didn,t even mind the $20 entry fee. Liked a couple of 12 volt generators, 1 mounted on a rudder blade device gives 20 amp at 6 knots but at a price of $7000 dollars I had to say "tell him hes dreaming". Does any one know if you could adapt an electric outboard/ contiki drive unit or similiar as a generator, i have thought of using an outboard leg and prop and fitting an alternator/ generator on the shaft . Liked the big cats particularly the 48ft Fontaine Pajot although I wonder how well the interior finish will last.I was tempted by the $49 washing machine too but managed to resist.

Some negative and inaccurate talk happening here but there ya go. The 'talk it down' does seem to be NZ's new normal, as silly and stupid as it is.

I spend the evening with a wide ranging mix of NZ marine. It was a positive group in a very positive frame of mind.

My 2 cents worth

I have been the last few years. The on land component is a great deal better but the on water was certainly down on previous years. Less exhibitors and less boats to look out probably by about 30%.

I saw wheels comment about the boat show being expensive but some retailers bring it upon themselves. I saw some very good stands with very poor customer engagement. I attend a number of trade shows in my industry and have some basic rules.

1. No eating on the stand

2. No talking on your cell phone on the stand

3. No sitting on the stand unless it forms part of a customer engagment area

4. Have people on your stand who are prepared to engage with the customer

5. Treat everyone the same - as there are many people who dont like to advertise their wealth.

The number of stands that had staff that didnt really want to talk to people was quite high.

Some were also very good - credit to Jono at Safety and Sea. All the guys were helpful. Squids washing machine people were busy as they engaged the customer.

Some negative and inaccurate talk happening here but there ya go. The 'talk it down' does seem to be NZ's new normal, as silly and stupid as it is.

I spend the evening with a wide ranging mix of NZ marine. It was a positive group in a very positive frame of mind.

Examples KM?... or are they just talking it up to either impress fellow industry colleagues or trying to talk up a bad situation.?

Compared to ten ears ago this NZ marine market, (and I'm not talking the launch, fizz boat, launch, fishing industry which overly inflates the Market Hugely) is very slack.

As for your comment on negative and in accurate talk on this thread. Until you detail some of the positive talk you had I would say spin doctoring is alive and well.

I would say the fishing and power boat market is OK and if you seperated out the sailing figure you would be found to be over inflating the truth to suit your argument and the industry you are involved in.

After all this is a sailing web site and you and others take every opportunity to bag the fizz nasties. Yet without the fizz nastie large volume influence on supplier buying rates, many boaties on this forum would be paying higher prices for things like GPS's, anti foul, VHF,s life jackets...

Just look at launches, and fizz boats there are in Auckland compared to yachts. It'S a no brainer that without them the yachting industry would be dead in the water And suppliers would not survive on the back of just the sailing fraternity.

For example. There is thirty builders of production fizz Boats in NZ and many export. How many production Yacht builders are there now..

KM. being falsely over positive And using manipulated stats is worse than being honest and Realistic'

But I suspect you are just having a droll snipe at me and don,t even believe yourself.

Good rules Guzz. I had found rule 4 & 5 a big issue at last years show on several stands.

Yes , I only entered stands that I either wished to gleam knowledge from or purchase from and well over half weren't interested in talking or maybe too busy or didn't need the sale,not sure which but I had money to spend but I'm not interested in chasing them on there stand .

I'll do it another way.

So you'd like some examples of negative inaccurate comments would you, OK lets pick just one to start with.

Don,t expect The marine scene to improve for a very Long time.
That's sad for you as I think the future is looking better today than it has for the last few years. What's more this GFC falls into NZ hands to a point as small run, fast, niche is what it's about at the moment and NZ is damn good at that.

Mortgagee sales are at a record high, besides auckland thre are record number of houses for sale, unemployment is growing faster that a fast thing, 1000 plus people are leaving NZ for Aussie a week...
Negitive, negitive, negitive and gosh another negitive, well at least your consistent. Lets play NZ media and talk the country down, that's as smart as jambing an ell up your arse.

You could have said -

While mortgagee sales are still higher than is good at least they peaked a while ago and are decreasing, that's a good sign.

Record number houses for sale but that's cyclical and knot a surprise in these times, it is a common thing worldwide so at least we are on par with everyone else there.

Good to see more people are getting jobs than those looking for them and NZ's participation rate is one of the highest in the developed world, isn't that good positive.

While it's sad NZ is losing on average 500 people a week to Aussie at least it's knot a brain drain and those people are being replaced by people wanting to be in NZ and who are generally a smarter bunch than the lot leaving. It's that positive news?

And to quote someones latest persona -

because you don,t agree with anything I say...

GOOGLE IT! :crazy:

Once you have done that please explain how lots of negative talk is going to help anyone, especially inaccurate negative talk, when thinking positive breeds positive.

Thanks for the positive comments.

We were there with Southern Pacific and Safety at Sea. This was a changed approach for us with split stands. Overall - good immediate sales. We had people queueing for info at times. Our leads book is far better than last year too.

The buyer is far more informed. The people who needed stuff, knew what they wanted, what the internet was charging, and that if they could get a price that was fair they would buy from an exhibitor.

The people who are looking for stuff had one of the best shows in years to engage with the suppliers. Times are tough in the recreational market and combined with the good exchange rate, customers will be able to get what they want at a good price - particularly if they can wait.

The people out for a stroll were slightly disappointed with the shrunk show, particularly on the marina.

Don't forget Shows are expensive and buying habits are changing. Therefore the way we present at Shows changes too. I hope people saw a different style of stand at this Show vs the May Show. And we went technical this year. Last year was pretty girls and balloons, this year was suppliers.

Last year was pretty girls and balloons,

There were???? Darn I missed that stand.

Next year, all watch out. KM told me to start tanning up and muttered something about Topless Rope splicing. Cool, so I am assuming we will have some topless babes doing some splicing while we CRA Blokes hang around all Tanned Rugged and Windswept looking just waiting to answer questions from the lines of punters queing up.

Archived