painting prefrences

offthebow

Im getting ready to paint the topside/cockpit of my javelin but am getting a bit of conflicting information in regards what to use. I am planning on using a 2 pot undercoat and top coat but have also been told that a 1 pot system will be good enough? I want to get a good strong durable finish. any ideas or opinions would be great.

Im with him ^^. If its a refurbed older boat then single pot it. Sooner rather than later its going to get knocked about on the trailer, ramp, rigging area etc and the pretty two pot will become a PITA to repair.

Iv just got international toplac and prekote on my floor and bottom on the 3.7.. gets pretty banged up, but its cheap enough to do another coat if need be...

If you leave the banged up part aside, the two pots will give you are more durable finish that can stand up to the environment for ruffly 15yrs. Single pot is about 5 to 7yrs, with a few new singles now on the market that can now give you 10 to 12yrs, maybe even the 15.

Single is by far the easiest to apply in both application and health precautions. Two pot gets more tricky. Single pot by far the cheapest, two pots ruffly 3 times the price. So in the end, weigh up the value of job against the cost and difficulty of painting.

The toplac and precote can give a very nice finish. In this tempature you need to give it plenty of time to dry and pit it on thin. From my (limited) experience it seems that more thin coats will give you a better harder finish that fewer thicker coats and leave it for weeks between coats. Thick single pot takes a very long tine to dry and might never go fully hard.

Taking Wheels numbers my guy said he doesn't know a boat on a trailer that still looked good at 7 years, just from wear and tear, nothing to do with the paint.

I found single pot couldn't handle getting bashed around by the trapeze hook when I hauled my fat ass back into the boat after a swim. The two pot on the other hand seems to be tougher and a bit more flexible so it gets a groove in it but the surface isn't broken or separated off the timber underneath.

The one thing I didn't appreciate is that all of the paints don't like being in water all the time so it's worth either garaging the boat over winter or turning it upside down so there is no staning water in it. Definitely do single pot on the bottom though as it's heaps easier to touch up as other have said.

Archived