Free Android App to compare legs

Fer33

Dear saliors,

This summer I have been developing a free Android app, called: The Fast Track

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nautka.thefasttrack&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5uY%20XV0a2EudGhlZmFzdHRyYWNrIl0.

This is a simple application that allows you to compare legs, it is for both recreational and racing navigation, in this case also helps you to make the decision of when to tack direct to buoy.

In this version, all the courses are over ground (COG) based on true north.

The speed is expressed in knots and it is also over ground (SOG).

As this is a release 1, it is likely to have some errors so any feedback and suggestions for improvement are welcome.

There is a short english manual that you can download in pdf:

http://bit.ly/OgvMlP

H3AhHOOnKeb0O4ZEROODPO6-5uEGYMKr_eoxpA-h7AEhlj-q7FZz2WkFRe4MCw0xCg

SOXTHCvfOJv42HQxWYqomQY3CNyiGgIudtTBd-x0eJEzt28lNXZfXTsCJ0xhFUpWQcTy

Good Winds, Nautka

Any plans for an IOS version as well?

Another vote here

Sounds good :thumbup:

I was thinking something different :wink: Was anyone else thinking something different??? :?:

Mate get some air if you are looking at comparing KM's and brians legs you need a lot-a-air let alone an app :problem: (and some help :shock: )

Hi looks pretrty useful - is the disance in nautical miles or statute miles?

When you project a Waypoint, distance is expressed in Nautical Miles.

Distance to the Waypoint in the main screen, is expressed in meters.

Good Winds!

Hi, I'm based in Spain (Europe), In fact I've never tested the tool in south Hemisphere (just in an emulator) :(

You don´t need to be under any cells to use it, because it only uses the internal GPS, no GSM, no 3G should be needed.

The ETA, is a very good idea, :clap: and in fact I think I could add it easily, so I hope you will see this feature in the next release.

Good Winds, Nautka!

The first thing a cellph user needs to find out is if their ph is true GPS or GPRS.

True GPS obtains info from 3 satellites and gives you an approximate position with accuracy from 5 to 10M. However, the ph itself does not calculate the position. The info received is sent back to a server via a cell site and is calculated and the sent back to the ph as a position. So you still need a cellsite signal.

GPRS uses triangulation from 3 celltower signals to give a position. I am unsure of accuracy with this system. As it is often difficult to get cell reception in many places in NZ with even just one tower, getting 3 towers is going to be asking a lot.

I am not up with what phones have what.

Wheels, with my android Acer a200 I can use cell or GPS individually. I can be in area like cape reinga or the middle of the ocean and just use GPS.

I can choose GPS, Google's location service via wifi(phone line), or cell sites options.

No need for cell sites and I believe most Android phones have this option.

Wheels is talking about cell phone tower triangulation which some older phones used to determine position, and this would not be accurate enough for the purpose of this app. It's unlikely any of these phones would be able to run the app anyway, any half decent smartphone these days will be GPS equipped.

Wheels is talking about cell phone tower triangulation which some older phones used to determine position, and this would not be accurate enough for the purpose of this app. It's unlikely any of these phones would be able to run the app anyway, any half decent smartphone these days will be GPS equipped.

Correct but this is a android app, re original post, and most android equipped phones, if not all, have GPS option.

Re my last paragraph.

Hi, I'm based in Spain (Europe), In fact I've never tested the tool in south Hemisphere (just in an emulator) :(

You don´t need to be under any cells to use it, because it only uses the internal GPS, no GSM, no 3G should be needed.

The ETA, is a very good idea, :clap: and in fact I think I could add it easily, so I hope you will see this feature in the next release.

Good Winds, Nautka!

Where abouts in Spain? I spent a lot of time in the north. Pamplona, Burgos, roncesvelles, Bilbao, San Sabastion, Compestella de Santiago...

Loved it there. Bon Camino!

Archived