Sportboat Nationals on this weekend

Adrianp

The sportboat nationals are being sailied on the western side of the harbour bridge this weekend.

4 races a day with first race 10am.

This regatta is being run by ourselves so I'll post updates and results here when I can.

Such a shame my old Lightning is rotting away at HMB.

I'm pretty sure if the conditions were right the mighty Astro-Traveller could give you all a good run!

Maybe i should buy her back.......Hmmmmmmmm :idea:

Such a shame my old Lightning is rotting away at HMB.

I'm pretty sure if the conditions were right the mighty Astro-Traveller could give you all a good run!

Maybe i should buy her back.......Hmmmmmmmm :idea:

There used to be a similar boat in the bay called 'trauma' they had it pimped out with racks and trapezes. They tried everything to keep up with the fleet. 2 sail reaching in big breeze they were fast but not in windward lewards.

The fleet has changed a lot these days. The magics are the slow boats and now with the likes of the shaw 650s (and turbo versions), helter skelter, animal biscuts, orange peeler, I think you would find they would be MILES ahead. The magics are the backbone of the fleet and great boats but if you are comparing with them then you will be at the back of the fleet. They have also had a number of rule changes recently to speed them up such as alowing kevlar and carbon sails where as 5 years ago they were all using polyester.

The boat priaprisim you mentioned in another thread was a T650, they were not that fast. None of them sailing in auckland as they were out the back door. Atomic and the other thompsons around here are T750s, much faster.

We blew all the 40fters away bigtime up wind last night on helter skelter in 10-15 kts of breeze. The new boats are much faster than the old generation and are more like skiffs with just enought weight to keep them up at the dock.

But hey another boat in the fleet would be great. I'm sure you would get plenty of help getting it back on the water and maybe in your conditions you would give some boats a good hurry up.

HnF good luck for the regatta, I was supposed to be in turangi for the E5.9 regatta but the owner put his back out yesterday. Might race sunday or come and watch.

4 races completed today before the westerly front came through about 2pm. Tricky sailing with massive cross tide, 30 degree shifts and 2-10 knots of breeze over the course.

The fleet consist of 4 magics, helter skelter, Snatch and ourselves on HnF

Not sure how the placings would be looking at this point as everyone looked to have some good races and some shockers!

Yep, can't argue with that!

We also had a similar boat in our fleet, called Yes! originally called Zippo, (actually the same basic design) which was never competitive against us.

When i said right conditions, it would be 15-20 kts and board flat water. So maybe good today above the bridge. Any swell, even downhill, and we may as well have stayed home.

Which, i think, is why we followed PP and the Magics. We were out in the gulf doing the spring regatta and couldn't hot it up downwind without falling over on the swells. She's just too flat at the back.

Oh, and two-sail was our slowest point.

If anyone knows the owner find out if I can borrow it for a day, then maybe i can ease my mind?!!?

'Yes!', if my tracking of sail numbers is correct, went on to become Trauma and more latterly Tribal at BBYC.

She went okay at 2008 bay week but as B00B00 says, Magic 25 pace which is nothing like the pace of Animal Bikkies et al.

Is probably fair to say she's been off the pace as Tribal.

No racing today as its blowing dogs of chains!

Final results after 4 races are Snatch wins line and Team Sex wins Handicap. I'll put the rest of the results up when I get them.

Yes mark is correct. Trauma went to Bucks and was re-built. Racks and wires taken off, new keel and even a little roof.

Spent a lot of time on its side with a lot of perminently wet crew here in the Bay. New owner re-built it to have some stability with the idea of Cat 3 and the Coastal Clsaic.

Made a nice job of it too but dosn't get sailed much apart from a few social rum races.

Was for sale again on Trade Me a while ago at a very good price.

Zippo/Yes!/Trauma/Tribal was the first (and probably only) big-rig Lightning to actually be yacht-like, with a heavy bulb and decent cabin. That was when she was new.

Astro had a marginally bigger rig, empty cabin, and much lighter bulb.

Paperchase and Candy had smaller rigs.

Archived