Auckland to Bluff

chic014

+1 Well said Marshy. It seems to be that one or two of the clubs have got the yachting australia way being drilled into them. Having done quite a bit of sailing in Australia, its going to change racing in NZ and not necessary for the good! Some things I agree with but others are a what a crock of sh*t.

Sundreamer summed it up best...what a crock of sh*t...and I thought I could leave it at that but after reading subsequent posts...

Where has the $400K gone and to whom?

The race director or organiser was quoted as saying before xmas when asked what would happen if the weather was bad on the west coast of the south island he said he would simply change the course and direct the fleet to come through Cook Strait and go down the east coast...about the stupidest idea I have ever heard and I for one would not enter a race with an idiot like that running the show.

The cut and paste from various SH requirements will kill the annual Fiji race if allowed to filter through to that race.

The SH (81 boats last year) has been ruined by the cost of the box ticking implemented to satisfy the courts subsequent to the 97 race, instead of addressing the real issues in offshore racing, education, experience and seamanship.

Given the NOR they clearly don't care about the domestic kiwi fleet and have pretty much disqualified 90% of our fleet, if they are hoping for some remnants of the SH to come over why don't they start the race in bluff and head to Auckland.

Ask SSANZ why they took the RNI to SI instead of Bluff...those boys know how to organise a race!!

I could go on and on but why bother these boys are on their own commercial programme and developing an iconic yacht race for kiwi yachties is not part of their agenda despite rorting $400k of our money and using the good name of yachting in New Zealand to do it

Given the gagging clause for this race many on tis site won't be able to enter anyway

I remember reading of the changes after the 97 SH and at the time my thoughts were:

Hardly any of the changes actually make the boats more seaworthy or the crews more experienced, they seemed to be aimed at making recue easier.

When are they going to insist that every boat has its own chase helicopter in case something goes wrong? (had a good laugh about that one).

This will eventually cause the fleets to shrink.

Haven't really changed my mind on anything there.

The SH organisers seemed to have little in "the rest of the fleet", just the glamour boats.

Sundreamer summed it up best...what a crock of sh*t...and I thought I could leave it at that but after reading subsequent posts...

Where has the $400K gone and to whom?

The race director or organiser was quoted as saying before xmas when asked what would happen if the weather was bad on the west coast of the south island he said he would simply change the course and direct the fleet to come through Cook Strait and go down the east coast...about the stupidest idea I have ever heard and I for one would not enter a race with an idiot like that running the show.

The cut and paste from various SH requirements will kill the annual Fiji race if allowed to filter through to that race.

The SH (81 boats last year) has been ruined by the cost of the box ticking implemented to satisfy the courts subsequent to the 97 race, instead of addressing the real issues in offshore racing, education, experience and seamanship.

Given the NOR they clearly don't care about the domestic kiwi fleet and have pretty much disqualified 90% of our fleet, if they are hoping for some remnants of the SH to come over why don't they start the race in bluff and head to Auckland.

Ask SSANZ why they took the RNI to SI instead of Bluff...those boys know how to organise a race!!

I could go on and on but why bother these boys are on their own commercial programme and developing an iconic yacht race for kiwi yachties is not part of their agenda despite rorting $400k of our money and using the good name of yachting in New Zealand to do it

Given the gagging clause for this race many on tis site won't be able to enter anyway

Marsh,

brother...always a voice of reason!

Key comments, where has that $400k gone??? I'm guessing SMC Events who've been engaged to run this show will be taking a nice chunk,- the website was around $10k I understand...

Why not just get a experienced yachtclub (RAYC/SSANZ, perhaps NZMYC) to run the show....

For $400k they could probably run 5 editions, cut the entry costs, grow the entries and still have money left for a bar tab at Bluff.....

Hey Dan, yep don't like to be negative but this whole race smacks of the bad old corporate days where evrything was driven from the top down and us boys at the bottom of the feeding tree just need to suck it up.

Who knows the organisers might be right and this event will become the icon they hope for and they will drag the rest of kicking and screaming into the new age of offshore/coastal yachting...or not.

I just uneasy that the govt put $400k into an event that they see as supporting YNZ inc. when maybe that money could have been much better used elsewhere and leave corporate style yachting events to be funded by those who are directly benefitting

Who knows the organisers might be right and this event will become the icon they hope for
If that is indeed the intended goal and the reason this race has been set up. Maybe it's only there as it is a means to an end, an end that is totally unrelated to yachting.

Just speculating of course :wink: :wink:

Knot me, if I was just speculating I would say that you are 100% correct...it just a shame we are the pawns in the game and one of our iconic yacht clubs is the Trojan Horse

just had a look at the harbour chart, I wouldn't like to take a 100ft maxi with a 20ft draft in there, and stuff having to lay off waiting for the tide

just had a look at the harbour chart, I wouldn't like to take a 100ft maxi with a 20ft draft in there, and stuff having to lay off waiting for the tide

Should be plenty of room - they do get ships loaded with Bauxite in there....

From reading the notice of race, it appears to be similar to the Round New Zealand Two Handed NOR, which seems sensible as it is only other race that with a similar course (see http://www.ssanz.co.nz/documents/events ... %20NOR.pdf). In fact it has exactly the same motor specifications, charts, communications requirements and the 3 million 3rd party.

The RNZ requirements were greater with 100% first aid and sea survival. All funded by just 2 people. The entry fee was lower at $850 for 2, with no prize giving.

From memory, the RNI NOR was similar, I can’t remember anyone complaining SSANZ was trying to rule out 90% of the kiwi fleet.

From reading the notice of race, it appears to be similar to the Round New Zealand Two Handed NOR, which seems sensible as it is only other race that with a similar course (see http://www.ssanz.co.nz/documents/events ... %20NOR.pdf). In fact it has exactly the same motor specifications, charts, communications requirements and the 3 million 3rd party.

The RNZ requirements were greater with 100% first aid and sea survival. All funded by just 2 people. The entry fee was lower at $850 for 2, with no prize giving.

From memory, the RNI NOR was similar, I can’t remember anyone complaining SSANZ was trying to rule out 90% of the kiwi fleet.

Well they have not got © and date on any pages. nor has Yachting N.Z.

Plus these costs, Yachting N.Z. states you must indemnify them whilst racing with a indemnity policy and all racing yachts before they can race the yacht / boat it must be registered on their boat registry and you must be a current club member with a N.Z. yacht club as well.

Do they actually enforce this.

Costs

Racing: In order to be eligible for racing, boats must hold a current Certificate of Registration ensuring compliance with RRS 76.1 as outlined on pages 57-58 of the Yachting New Zealand Racing Rules of Sailing.

Emergency: Registration is strongly encouraged for recreational and racing boats for safety and security reasons, enabling rapid tracing of a boat in the event of theft, mishap or more serious maritime emergencies. An alarming number of registered boats do not have current owner details, leaving Yachting New Zealand and rescue authorities helpless in the event of an emergency. We request all boat owners keep Yachting New Zealand informed of any changes.

How long does it take to process an application?

Boat registration and change of ownership applications can take up to 15 working days to be processed

Sail Numbers and Registration Fees (GST inclusive)

YOU PAY ONCE - THE FEE IS NOT AN ANNUAL FEE

Change of ownership / Change of boat name - $55.00 for both if completed at the same time, otherwise $55.00 each. - If the boat is re-registered within a reasonable time, the sail number remains with the boat. Yachting New Zealand reserves the right to re-allocate boat numbers when owners of previously registered boats cannot be traced after two years.

New boat or previously unregistered - $105.00 - Previously unregistered vessels will be issued with a Standard Sail Number which is the next consecutive registration number.

Personalised number - The Sail Number you choose will determine the final cost;

1.General Sail Number - $260.00 - Owners may choose a sail number that is ahead of the next consecutive number, provided that number has not been set aside as a collectors number.

2.Collectors numbers - $515.00 - Owners may choose a unique sail number. These numbers are either symmetrical or mirror image or in some way unique, eg. 6969, 8448. For details of available numbers please contact Jenny Egnot

Trailer Yachts - A Sail Number for Trailer Yachts cannot be granted until Rule 4.4 of the Trailer Yacht Safety Regulations has been complied with. The NZTYA must first approve the design of the yacht.

Thanks missg for the response, great to get a background and direct response from within.

The way the race has been promoted sure leaves a perception that the organisers are chasing the semi pro/pro aussie fleet and not really interested in the domestic kiwi fleet.

I happy to be wrong...

from what i have seen of kiwi yachting our greatest triumphs have been when we have built an event and competence from within and looked after our own, then exported ourselves to the world

I suppose I just wanted to highlight there is really nothing in the NOR that is not standard for a race of this length that is cat 2 in terms of safety. If a boat was going to complete the RNZ they would have to meet the same requirements. 10 kiwi boats did and they were a fleet of cruisiers and at best crusier/racers, average people (riggers, officer workers, retired people) not pros. If a boat was going on a cat 1 race there would be more requirements.

From my point of view sailing Coppelia in the RNZ and RNI, I was very happy that we did meet all the NOR requirements. In fact most boats exceeded these requirements, and I know if we were to go to Bluff two handed or crewed, cat 2 and NOR requirements would be a minimum.

When the RNZ was put out in the media many people complained that sailing that far 2 handed was too difficult and said that is why there was only 10 entires. The A2B gives those crewed boats a chance to race.

I suppose I just wanted to highlight there is really nothing in the NOR that is not standard for a race of this length that is cat 2 in terms of safety. If a boat was going to complete the RNZ they would have to meet the same requirements. 10 kiwi boats did and they were a fleet of cruisiers and at best crusier/racers, average people (riggers, officer workers, retired people) not pros. If a boat was going on a cat 1 race there would be more requirements.

From my point of view sailing Coppelia in the RNZ and RNI, I was very happy that we did meet all the NOR requirements. In fact most boats exceeded these requirements, and I know if we were to go to Bluff two handed or crewed, cat 2 and NOR requirements would be a minimum.

When the RNZ was put out in the media many people complained that sailing that far 2 handed was too difficult and said that is why there was only 10 entires. The A2B gives those crewed boats a chance to race.

Why is it Cat 2 when auckland to fiji is Cat 1.

It is more dangerous sailing A to Bluff than sailing A to Fij in the non cyclone season and you don't really need a insulated floor life raft because of warmer waters.

Plus sailing to fiji an additional expense is having to register with the N.Z. ships register if under 24m plus with YNZ register.

The safety catergory to be used decided by YNZ and their safety advisors.

Cat 2 actually should allow more NZ boats to compete and should decrease costs.

Re your 3rd party insurance, I regularly race a Flying 15 and have to provde my insurance documentation at many regattas, the same is true for the coastal racing I do. So to answer your question yes insurance details are regularly checked.

Maybe they trying to make it easier for kiwis to enter!

There is not a lot of difference and with the additions to the nor re ssb and raft it looks pretty tidy from here.

Fiji is a true blue water race (one of the very few left on the planet), no cell phone, no crew texting on the rail, no use ringing mum for help, unlike the SH, Fastet,etc....special!

Thanks Marsh,

Yes RAYC really does try to make extended coastal sailing accessible.

Chris Skinner did a stellar job getting everything sorted so the the 3 Kings race could have cat 3 boats race in it, and the club managed to get White Island to become cat 3 a few years ago.

We will keep trying our best with the A2B.

Archived