Auckland to Bluff

chic014

The safety catergory to be used decided by YNZ and their safety advisors.

Cat 2 actually should allow more NZ boats to compete and should decrease costs.

Re your 3rd party insurance, I regularly race a Flying 15 and have to provde my insurance documentation at many regattas, the same is true for the coastal racing I do. So to answer your question yes insurance details are regularly checked.

Do they check to see if you are registered on their boat registry.

Thanks Marsh,

Yes RAYC really does try to make extended coastal sailing accessible.

Chris Skinner did a stellar job getting everything sorted so the the 3 Kings race could have cat 3 boats race in it, and the club managed to get White Island to become cat 3 a few years ago.

We will keep trying our best with the A2B.

No way the race should be Cat 3 if anything it definately should be Cat 1.

OC the difference between Cat 2 and 1 is pretty minimal, from memory you can't actually get Cat one unless you are leaving the country.

Loading your boat up with sh*t doesn't usually make it safer the most important thing in the safety of a ship is the crew.

OC the difference between Cat 2 and 1 is pretty minimal, from memory you can't actually get Cat one unless you are leaving the country.

Loading your boat up with sh*t doesn't usually make it safer the most important thing in the safety of a ship is the crew.

Right. A SSB and a parachute anchore has nothing to do with safety. Tell that to the safety regulators and safety at sea salesman.

Willow. Tell me how do you get safety with no equipement on board when your boat goes down now and the sea is rising now.

OC

from memory you can't actually get Cat one unless you are leaving the country.

going on memory now does not wear with the inspectors or the elements at sea.

The best piece of safety equipment is between the skippers ears.

OC - a huge number of ocean going cruisers would fall way short of Cat 1, but continue to make safe efficient passages every day of the year all over the planet. Remember the people writing those rules were worried about liability issues and covering their butts, as well as what would actually work.

I have made passges on boats that would not pass cat 1 and was quite confortable doing so. At times with my wife and kids aboard.

OC - a huge number of ocean going cruisers would fall way short of Cat 1, but continue to make safe efficient passages every day of the year all over the planet. Remember the people writing those rules were worried about liability issues and covering their butts, as well as what would actually work.

I have made passges on boats that would not pass cat 1 and was quite confortable doing so. At times with my wife and kids aboard.

Crew Org. I agree with you wholeheartedly, but we are not talking about tropical sailing and sailing north in calm waters in the non cyclone season. We are talking about sailing south into and near the southern ocean and a lower latitude than Hobart. I doubt if there is hugh numbers of cruisers sailing in recreational vessels to bluff or Dunedin or Stewart Island where the water gets to be about 6 deg C. Why where they and why are they worried about the liability issues when they have formed a limited liability company to run the races, insist on a liability disclaiming contract by all boats, insist on a $3m third party cover and yachting NZ insist on a indemnity cover. One would think with all that they would rate it Cat 5 and get the max enteries because they surely over indemnified and they would have no risks or liability. Plus it is made quite clear in the notice of race it is absolutely the Skippers responsibility in deciding whether he starts, continues, ect in the preamble and about three other sections, which includes the safety regs and certificate.

OC.

OC your a real glass half full aren't you

Your complaining about the costs a nd the standards

Get a grip mate.

Crew Org. I agree with you wholeheartedly, but we are not talking about tropical sailing and sailing north in calm waters in the non cyclone season. We are talking about sailing south into and near the southern ocean and a lower latitude than Hobart. I doubt if there is hugh numbers of cruisers sailing in recreational vessels to bluff or Dunedin or Stewart Island where the water gets to be about 6 deg C. Why where they and why are they worried about the liability issues when they have formed a limited liability company to run the races, insist on a liability disclaiming contract by all boats, insist on a $3m third party cover and yachting NZ insist on a indemnity cover. One would think with all that they would rate it Cat 5 and get the max enteries because they surely over indemnified and they would have no risks or liability. Plus it is made quite clear in the notice of race it is absolutely the Skippers responsibility in deciding whether he starts, continues, ect in the preamble and about three other sections, which includes the safety regs and certificate.

OC.

Forgot - thought I could edit.

Question. Would you sail to bluff with you wife and kids non stop no SSB ,Sat Nav, or SAT phone and how many times have you actually sailed to bluff non stop in a non Cat 1 sailing vessel.

OC

OC your a real glass half empty aren't you

Get a grip mate.

Where's the edit

That should read empty

Get a grip mate.

Where did I complain about the costs. Please quote.

Get a grip mate.

Where did I complain about the costs. Please quote.

Sorry did you mean that they should be insisting on more gear and higher insurance ?

Sorry !

OC your a real glass half empty aren't you

Get a grip mate.

Where's the edit

That should read empty

The edit is above at the bottom of my previous post, and full explanation not empty at all.

Question. Would you sail to bluff with you wife and kids non stop no SSB ,Sat Nav, or SAT phone and how many times have you actually sailed to bluff non stop in a non Cat 1 sailing vessel.

OC

Never been to Bluff, but did all that from here to Alaska and back.

from memory you can't actually get Cat one unless you are leaving the country.

going on memory now does not wear with the inspectors or the elements at sea.

Don't see how it's relevant but all the inspectors I have met have all been reasonable Guys.

Hmm I think it's time to stop feeding him.

I was of course assuming it was functioning correctly, my bad.
No bad there fella. Most aircraft crashes are due to smart people making the wrong call and you see that same thing on the water a lot.

Archived