Clearance to enter Fiji on One Way airticket

I am trying to get clearance to enter Fiji on a One Way Airfare Ticket and join my partner on our boat in Fiji to crew and sail onto Vanuatu and back to NZ. Can anyone advise me what is the correct procedure and best way to do this. I seem to be going around in circles with all the emails I have tried to send to Fiji and no replies. Could someone advise me if they have done this and what is the best way of doing it. I have rang and emailed the High Commission in Wellington also and the say I cannot get clearance until the boat arrives in Fiji next month and could take up to 30 days to receive! Is this correct? I have also been told by the airlines I cannot board the plane in Auckland without this clearance to enter Fiji. Can anyone advise please?

We brought a boat back from fiji last November, we flew into Nadi with 1 way tickets, If you contact Kendra at Waitui Marina at Savu Savu she can probably explain what you have to do. apparently you need a letter from Fiji customs and a letter from the skipper of the boat you are going to join. google Waitui Marina the contact details should be there.

Carry a letter form the skipper of the yacht you are returning on as conformation of your return passage.

I just had an email and it was accepted.

Be careful here. My daughter and I went to tonga about 4 years ago to jump on a boat and sail to Noumea. We had a letter from the skipper and an assurance that we wouldn't have any problems from the travel agent. We arrived in tonga at about 2 in the morning. This big fat bastard (supervisor) called us over to his desk and said we needed a permit to enter without a return ticket ($100each)

When I argued he pointed to the plane refueling for the return trip and said we would be on it. When we asked for a receipt he said the person who wrote the receipts had gone home. Obviously a scam. We had no choice but to pay since he was the senior supervisor. As a result I will never set foot in their s@#$hole country again.

Thanks twist.

It is on line search for the documentation and print it out. Carry a copy with the letter and you will be fine.

We had two crew fly up to Fiji on one way tickets to bring the boat back a couple of years ago.

You need the skipper of the boat to go to customs up there with all your details and a letter explaining that you are joining the yacht (take the boats papers and anything else you can think of). It will take a couple of visits but they will issue the required letter to get you in. You will need to get it emailed through to you and print it out and carry it with you. We did ours in Latoka.

A call to Dolly or who ever is in Savu Savu now may well be worth a try especially if you are joining the boat there. http://www.coprashed.com/

Pete may respond with a better plan as he is our man on the ground in Fiji.

Possibly a more expensive but flexible option, I did this about 4 yrs ago and bought a flexible return flight to Fiji - obviously got in no probs. Then whilst there I changed my return flight to be from Vanuatu to Auckland (via Fiji) and no probs.

Contact Eli at Yacht Help +679 9990133. Tell her you are a friend of Pete's and get her advice. She can arrange it all for you at a small cost. Only glitch I can see is if the boat has not yet arrived.

Fiji now require advanced notice of arrival for yachts, so even if the boat hasn't yet cleared customs, they should know about its imminent arrival and be able to confirm.

Archived