Davidson 40 for $26K

Atom Ant

Hmm not really... More like big buck when something goes bang.

As an idea. You would be looking at at least 5-10k to sweep that rig aft. If you did all the chainplates etc yourself. Interior fitout, well thats an endless arguement, Could be done cheap for 10k? By the time you do fridges, cruising batteries etc.

So thats probably at least $40k, then you want to make it easy to sail so an autohelm and the list goes on.

Ex race boats never make easy conversions to cruising boats i dont think. I do recall Jono did it with Archon? back in the day, But havent seen it been done since as its not that cost effective.

It came from Picton. Maybe Gulf harbor before then, but that must have been a while back. She's the boat that sailed up the East coast with us to Napier and they got a hammering, blowing out every sail they had and with us pulling into Napier first and them following our lights into port. The owner had it on my mooring for a short time and that was the boat that intimate meetings with Resolute. The owner is a nice guy, but I think the boat may have proven to be a bit of a handfull for a Family type cruiser and cost of things were more than he expected. Which is what you have to expect with a machine like that. If I had the money, I would love that boat as a racer. Even though she ain't a young'en anymore, She's still a fast machine that's for sure. But yea, the bucks ain't in the purchase price. It's all big loads/ high dollar items for that thing. And there are no sails for her. He bought a couple of second hand things so he could sail it, but they aren't really suited for anything.

If a cruising conversion is the aim - what is the story with this one:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts-sail-boats/moored-boats/auction-548982833.htm

Looks to be part way through some interior work & needs a repaint.

That has a lot more "useable cruising" features already built in than the "racing only" Davidson.

Assuming both will need painting so same amount of Time / money / effort required but the Davidson does not have the self steering, and many other things needing changing for cruising e.g. Shortening boom / permanent backstay; food stowage; comfortable seating, feeding of 2ix gorillas as crew

Consider camping on a throughbred racehorse stallion vs a relaxing trip with good meals and comforts and friends on a fast mare.

Horses for courses of course.

Couldn't help the last two words above :lol: :lol:

Depends how much you're painting and how much prep is required. Prep is where all the hours go and is the significant determinant in how the end result looks. Just topsides - maybe $10-15k. Decks double that + some. Inside ............

I know how much was spent on my Cat to paint her. Seriously scary - you could buy a very nice 35' boat for the price of the paint job.

Yep MB, thats exactly what I did with my last boat. Had an out of work professional boat painter at a good cash rate, hired some students and got stuck in myself. Cost me about $7k all up for labour and materials for a top end spray job for deck and hull. Took a surpisingly long time (2-3 times my initial thoughts) to do the prep work and a lot more in tapes, plastics etc than I expected.

Luckily the new boat was mint when I purchased her.

Archived