A case for a manslaughter charge?

ScottiE

I'm sorry, but unless they find this poor kid alive, I just can't see how this can be anything but.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10859942

It's situations like this that mean the rest of us will suffer

It appears they are all family members, prosectuting them is not going to help, I'm sure they are all devastated as it is.

Darwinism in action.

It was blowing pretty hard out there last night and to top it off we saw 2 guys in a 12 foot tinnie out fishing this morning on the way back in one of the 30+ squalls. Not a life jacket in sight...muppets

Darwinism in action.

Normally, yes. In this case the stupid bastards killed one of their children, toward whom they owed a duty of care. Prosecute them as far and as hard as possible.

"pour encourager les autres" as the French would have it.

Sometimes the punishment for one needs to serve as a deterrent for others. Would this be one of those times?

Not sure that you can punish commonsense into people...

The boat capsized halfway between the Coromandel and Waiheke Island, which Mr Rutene said was "a place that you really don't want to be in the water''.

I am confused: From TVOne tonight I am sure I heard them say that the boat was just off Ponui Island. :?:

They went out from Kawakawa Bay and were picked up just off Ponui Island around 9am this morning after about 20hrs in the water.

They apparently had life jackets onboard, but not wearing them. The Kid was wearing a Hoodie and long trousers, so I imagine he would be dragged under. I don't think this is going to be a good outcome.

The wind was really blowing and it must have been very ruff, especially when the tide would have been running against it.

Sometimes the punishment for one needs to serve as a deterrent for others. Would this be one of those times?

Very true. But how many cars pass us on the motorway with (projectile!) kids playing in the back seat!!??? Its always the case of "it will never happen to me.." or any use of the "just"... "only" excuses. Education? We are trying that as a nation but like any scenario where the amount of users escalates, the probability of the idiot falling foul of consequence is going to increase. Just spend an hour, just 60 minutes at the Halfmoon Bay boat ramp and you will see these indestructible "it won't happen to me" types putting to sea expecting everyone to come and save their sorry arse. We simply do not have the enforcement. It is illegal to not have sufficient lifejackets for all those on board (nothing about WEARING them?) and persons under the age of 16 must wear them. Enforcement does not exist! Ambulance at the bottom of the cliff?? Question: how many actually REALLY stop at a stop sign anymore?? Even the cops don't!! Try that in Aussie!!.

Dont think there is much chance at all of it ending up as a manslaughter charge (not saying it shouldnt) - especially when you consider what happens with Child Abuse cases -tho some do - a lot get off quite lightly....

Am sure their extended families are grieving but wish it would stop it happening again.....

Archived