BoI 2013

Fogg

Absolutely fantastic regatta! We had a lot of fun on Crusader. Really well run races and courses the dock set up and North tent were great. The only thing it lacked was a few more boats.

Why does this regatta not seem to grow? I think it’s a world class regatta…you would have to go long way to find a better place to go sailing???

Having just done the regatta for the first time I have a little bit of a feel for why it doesn't take off. It's not because of the event itself, like you say, the racing was awesome! It's all the stress and expense for the owner of the boat taking the time off work, getting the boat there in time, finding somewhere safe to put it and then getting it back to auckland again afterwards. If you have a budget of $10k for the regatta logistics, then no problem. If you don't, then it's actually a massive undertaking to do it all yourself! I think that's why there are very few sub 35ft keelers up there.

Absolutely fantastic regatta! We had a lot of fun on Crusader. Really well run races and courses the dock set up and North tent were great. The only thing it lacked was a few more boats.

Why does this regatta not seem to grow? I think it’s a world class regatta…you would have to go long way to find a better place to go sailing???

Having just done the regatta for the first time I have a little bit of a feel for why it doesn't take off. It's not because of the event itself, like you say, the racing was awesome! It's all the stress and expense for the owner of the boat taking the time off work, getting the boat there in time, finding somewhere safe to put it and then getting it back to auckland again afterwards. If you have a budget of $10k for the regatta logistics, then no problem. If you don't, then it's actually a massive undertaking to do it all yourself! I think that's why there are very few sub 35ft keelers up there.

Yes this is exactly the same for us Bay of Islands boats to head to Auckland for regattas. Haven't found the money tree (yet).

I wonder if it would make a difference if the regatta wouldn't be so close to Christmas. .??

Interesting thought Revs.

I've done it once and had an absolute ball and would love to do it again.......but....

The year that I did it, it didn't finish immediately before Anniversary Weekend. This year it did which effects people wanting to join other events planned that weekend or just enjoy a last long weekend before the grind starts. Having it earlier in January might enable people to hang around after a Xmas BOI cruise.

Don't think so Revs, the timing has a bit of an effect on crew availability as some are required to be off over the Christmas / new year but I think that's kind of a problem no matter when in summer it is. Timed as it is, it does give the Auck boats the long weekend to get back, albeit occasionally Huey doesn't see fit to cooperate with that plan. That said, I'd personally like it just after Christmas but I'm guessing I'm a minority.

Do agree with W/T it can be a bit of an undertaking, we'll only go every second or third year.

It's no one thing, it isn't cheap when everything is added up. If you sail as a regular crew, getting most crew to have work loads and leave pan out right can be a challenge but again not the whole thing. Again, the whole organising and running around bit for accom, transport, getting the boat there and back, all doable but can be a bit painful.

It's sort of the lot combined that I think mean quite a few of the visiting boats don't go every year, keeping in mind the boats I'm talking about are recreational racers rather than serious racers.

That said, I'm sure we'd do a twice as often if only the boat would teleport itself to the bay and back.

Introduction of the passage divisions has been good, these can be done pretty competitively if you're light on crew. Confess that whilst I'd classify my sailing as recreational, I wouldn't go if I wasn't going to be a bit competitive about it and being light on crew just isn't a good way to do W/Ls.

In some respects I'm a bit surprised more of the Bay boats don't do it. Best guess is it's perceived a bit like the ex BMW whereby it's seen as highly competitive and those not feeling like they're highly competitive aren't much interested.

Suspect the Opua marina will limit the size, hasn't yet but the place is pretty full when there's 80+ entries.

It's a cool event though, never regretted going up and encourage everyone to do it at least once or twice.

Rnzys use to run a Boxing Day race to Kerikeri, which was well supported for many years and then fizzed out. Perhaps could be reignited, even as part of the series. I for one always looked forward to a Boxing Day race be it that or Gisborne.

Understand that the $ rules.

I also like what the Akarana are doing with their race to fiji next year in that they will have a division for older classic kiwi boats and even apter heaps a division for the euro imports. Food for thought?

This year was unfortunate mainly due to the weather either side of the event. Our plan was to cruise WT up to the BOI and have a week away beforehand. So during that week I was going to do some work on the boat so come race week time we were all set. Annoyingly the weather didn’t play ball so we couldn’t cruise in the BOI. Instead we ended up doing a delivery and motoring for 21 hours in no wind! That was ok, but expensive as we burnt a lot of fuel getting there. Our plan to sail home on the Saturday after the regatta was met with 25knots SE, which we didn’t fancy either! So this weekend we’ll try and get the boat back again. It’s completely out of anyones control, but it is the reality of doing an event like this. Unfortunately there’s no way to plan for these problems. By luck we managed to get a friends mooring in Russel for this week. Otherwise I didn’t have a plan B and we would have been in trouble.

I can’t fault the race management though. They were excellent. The North tent was really good also. Only thing that could have helped us out would have been the sailing committee releasing the race start times earlier. I couldn’t organise my crew’s ferry/driving movements till the evening before the 1st race as we didn’t know what time we had to be on the water. I felt that was unnecessary induced complication on the organisers part.

WT

The start time was in the notice of race.

This year was unfortunate mainly due to the weather either side of the event. Our plan was to cruise WT up to the BOI and have a week away beforehand. So during that week I was going to do some work on the boat so come race week time we were all set. Annoyingly the weather didn’t play ball so we couldn’t cruise in the BOI. Instead we ended up doing a delivery and motoring for 21 hours in no wind! That was ok, but expensive as we burnt a lot of fuel getting there. Our plan to sail home on the Saturday after the regatta was met with 25knots SE, which we didn’t fancy either! So this weekend we’ll try and get the boat back again. It’s completely out of anyones control, but it is the reality of doing an event like this. Unfortunately there’s no way to plan for these problems. By luck we managed to get a friends mooring in Russel for this week. Otherwise I didn’t have a plan B and we would have been in trouble.

I can’t fault the race management though. They were excellent. The North tent was really good also. Only thing that could have helped us out would have been the sailing committee releasing the race start times earlier. I couldn’t organise my crew’s ferry/driving movements till the evening before the 1st race as we didn’t know what time we had to be on the water. I felt that was unnecessary induced complication on the organisers part.

It seems that who ever has taken part in this regatta has nothing but good to say about it.

It is I believe the best regatta in NZ and is sailed in the best sailing location.

Sure it is a bit out of the way but that is what makes it unique.

I think if there is a problem at all it is the boats that dont turn up.

The only reasons I hear not to attend are about costs and time off work.

Perhaps a bit of planning would go a long way. Look ahead now for next year. Organize a crew and time off work.

There is plenty of cheap accomodation including backpackers and even a camping ground.

I recall back in 'the old days' when we stayed on the boat ( 30 footer ) outside the squaddy during the IMS regattas back in the 90's. Used the showers etc. in the club house and could get morning and evening meals if required. Had a ball and it didn't cost a fortune.

The same oportunity exists today at the Opua Cruising club.

One thing I have noticed here on Crew. is that a lot is made of the Coastal Clasic. I get the impression that some owners give it number one priority even if their boat dosn't suit the style of race it normally is. They take a day or two off work for one race to the Bay and return home.

Perhaps some owners would be better off making the Bay regatta number one. After all they would sail the same distance but would have the likelyhood of at least 9 races while they are up here.

How many 930's would enter if organised. Perhaps the owners group who are active at the moment could encourage a class event same as the 88's. or even race together which might sort out which design is best. ( that was an after thought ! )

I'm not on the race committee, nor am I the promotions manager but I do reccomend that if you are considering doing it next year then start planning now. You wont regret it.

Archived