Naples Coverage - live at midnight tonight

Hurts

In the grand scheme of thing the AC is about the faster boat, as clipper has stated, and this is especialy so in this new format.

There are no more close tactical battles as there used to be in the 12 metres. And to be fair the new event does not have the vibe or excitement of events like Perth had where chaps like Conner, Blackaller, Dickson, put their personality on the event.

This event is different or sure. But the excitement is more akin to a mixture of demolition derby and formula one. Than the exacting tactical battles of the past.

I loved the 12 metres and the subtle differences and nuances, the personalities, the bigger entry list, and the likes of Conner Sticking it to others both on and of the course.

These new sailors are just bland Muppets that have nothing interesting to say and the depth of the fleets numbers and tactical skill is quite average.

Tactical skill has been replaced by boat handling skill and technology. But once this is mastered it will be boring... then what?

And the price to compete is just over bearing and ho.ding this even back

While some are having premature postulations as the AC has yet to happen, I do have to agree a bit with Swell. I watched the Naples thing but found it hard to follow as it's like watching a video game designed by someone swallowing huge amounts of Uppers. I can see the appeal for the sound-bite short attention span generation though.

Naples was pop-corn racing where Perth was a frecking big lump of meat and big pile of veg.

In the grand scheme of thing the AC is about the faster boat, as clipper has stated, and this is especialy so in this new format.

There are no more close tactical battles as there used to be in the 12 metres. And to be fair the new event does not have the vibe or excitement of events like Perth had where chaps like Conner, Blackaller, Dickson, put their personality on the event.

This event is different or sure. But the excitement is more akin to a mixture of demolition derby and formula one. Than the exacting tactical battles of the past.

I loved the 12 metres and the subtle differences and nuances, the personalities, the bigger entry list, and the likes of Conner Sticking it to others both on and of the course.

These new sailors are just bland Muppets that have nothing interesting to say and the depth of the fleets numbers and tactical skill is quite average.

Tactical skill has been replaced by boat handling skill and technology. But once this is mastered it will be boring... then what?

And the price to compete is just over bearing and ho.ding this even back

Swell, your comments are seemingly in line with a lot of other sailors, and initially, I could see your point(s).

However, over the last few flights I have made, I watched a highlights package of the 95 cup, which was a couple of hours, and covered the racing pretty well. Maybe knowing the result ruined it, but boy oh boy was it dull. I know boat speed isnt all, but man they were slow boats. And the starts, which I remember as benig the most exciting part - mostly very dull. Almost no passing ever. for sure, there was the odd tacking duel, but actually, they are few and far between. Give me the cats anyday.

As for the personalities, You have half a point there. But I'm not sure any of the sailors could be called muppets, and Sir Ben Ainslie could never be called bland. I do find barker a buit dull when interviewed, but who cares, his job is to sail, and he does that OK.

To me, this is the most exciting cup ever, and I'm going to see a little of the racing in San Fran. Would never consider going overseas to watch the leadmines wallowing around anywhere.

tactics are still critical ,as its so much easier for a boat to overtake than in the leaners. Just different tactics.

yes its expensive, yes there are less competitors, but other than that, not much to complain about.

definately more accessible to the non sailing public in terms of who is winning and whats going on.

This is the most exciting Americas Cup bar none. Cant wait for the racing to start. My only concern is how boring it will be to watch once we find out that ETNZ has a much faster boat and wins every race by a long way. Good problem to have though :thumbup:

Who are you trying to kid Royale.

The crowd aren,t bored at the presentation.

http://www.americascup.com/en/news/4/ev ... ies-naples

http://www.americascup.com/en/news/4/ev ... mpionships

Who said they have the fastest boat, there has not been any comparison made in the same waters or conditions.

Naples light winds. the old monohulls would have more boring to watch in those wind speeds.

I can remember when NZ had the fastest boat. Remember the Farr design red boat. It was rated as the fastest boat but lost to Paul Cayard over a cheating infrigement.

I can remember when NZ had the fastest boat and lost doing a penalty turn by 1 sec.

I can remember when Chris Dickson had the fastest boat for the conditions and was about to knock Conner from the cup with a race to go - PERTH Freemantle. However the doctor arrived with 30 plus knot winds and conner suddenly had the fastest boat.

Oracle team all in San Fran Sis working on their 72 and put a new guy on the helm with not much experience in large boats or multihulls, Small dingy class sailor.

Energy team had Ainsley absent in the ORACLE shed working on the new boat that nobody has seen or been tested for speed. They put a small dingy sailor on helm with not much sailing experience in big boat or multihulls sailing and they score more points than ETNZ at Naples.

Was coutes sailing in Naples?

The story on the day was who could read the music the wind was playing during the race. There one minute and gone the next minute. The good guys won by being able to hear the sounds in the music the wind wispers to those in tune.

LUNA ROSSA COULD KEEP ON RISING NOW. YANMAR IS A BAD OMEN. COFFEE HAS TOO MUCH CAFFEINE. AND WELL WHO CARES. 100, 000 at the event plus all those watching on the internet. NZ was blocked didn't pay their fee.

IT appears its only boring to some when they ETNZ is not winning.

The question has to be asked WHY are thet not winning, They aren't in tune with the wind songs, and the water music ripples and Dalton didn't want support or provide support, wants to bring ina residential clause if he wins the Cup, to be able to say I don't like you and you can't sail for NZ and you can't have a job any where else in the world sailing against ETNZ.

OC.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

While some are having premature postulations as the AC has yet to happen, I do have to agree a bit with Swell. I watched the Naples thing but found it hard to follow as it's like watching a video game designed by someone swallowing huge amounts of Uppers. I can see the appeal for the sound-bite short attention span generation though.

Naples was pop-corn racing where Perth was a frecking big lump of meat and big pile of veg.

Yahoo Sports.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/news/article ... NCLICKURL/

You seem to be in tune with the drug scene yak.

OC

Very interesting comments Clipper.

I might watch it again with a different mind set.

Maybe it was me, looking for something it is not?

I want Barker to show some fizz and excitement and really stick it to them. but maybe the boat is all the excitement you need.

Ainsle is the best sailor ever but boy is he bland. But i think that is society influence and not him. He certainly showed some balls bailing up that official pre olympics last year

Got to say the post race interviews at Perth were just bloody fantastic.

Conner is a great guy under all the bullshit. A great sailor and pretty honest. read his book, it is a great read.

i guess i am not used to the Fast and hard tactics of this stuff.

Knot me. i love that analogy. Brilliant :crazy: ... that is the best meat and veg comparison ever :clap:

They help to make your posts almost readable, take enough and you can almost fool yourself they even might make a smidgen of sense sometimes.

Again me and Swell think alike. The current batch of AC sailors are as exciting as wallpaper paste. Nice people I have no doubt but yaawwwnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!! All too PC to have the good biffo that use to inhabit and be a good part of why the AC is the AC. But I suppose it's all geared up to be about the boats rather than the sailors and sailing these days. I hope it works out for them and they do swing the large number of cynicals out there but we'll have to see. Why some are saying this is the best AC yet when there hasn't been even one race seems strange......... or is it just spectacular marketing?

Careful Swell, we can't have a reaoned and sensible discussion can we? this is the emotional cuptalk... :D

Ainslie is a brilliant sailor, and has a likeable bit of mongrel in him if you ask me. If you think he is bland, then I see why you'd think all the skippers are!

There are some amazing sailors racing in this and related events, but I think the 'professional' aspect to sailing these days perhaps puts a gag on some of the more controversial stuff we may have seen in the past. A bit like the way there is very little fisticuffs in rugby or league compared to the old days?

The onboard mikes pick up a bit of blue language during the racing, which is quite fun to hear.

Go to youtuibe and have a look at some of the racing in the IACC boats. For sure there are amazing tacking duels and tactical battles, and thats what we remember. But overall, lots and lots of dull dull follow the leader shite! And sooooo slow (not a problem in itself).

I'm just amazed ow these guys pick laylines and starts on the seat of their pants, and race hardout for short races. Definately makes sailing an athletes sport in the way some keelboat racing is not...

They help to make your posts almost readable, take enough and you can almost fool yourself they even might make a smidgen of sense sometimes.

Again me and Swell think alike. The current batch of AC sailors are as exciting as wallpaper paste. Nice people I have no doubt but yaawwwnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!! All too PC to have the good biffo that use to inhabit and be a good part of why the AC is the AC. But I suppose it's all geared up to be about the boats rather than the sailors and sailing these days. I hope it works out for them and they do swing the large number of cynicals out there but we'll have to see. Why some are saying this is the best AC yet when there hasn't been even one race seems strange......... or is it just spectacular marketing?

This is sailing action at its best. speed, thrills. spils, onboard viewing, ...

and we have not even got into the 72's racing yet.

The next step is to put a short offshore race into the mix and yeee ha!

i can see RTW boats foiling to new jules verne records. :thumbup:

Speaking to freinds in San Fran and they are gearing up for a big event.

do wish we had more verbals from the team and a bit of outrageous commentary.

Will PJM be there? i hope not. After all we are sick of "fires in the y fronts" :crazy:

Hate to say it but I agree with you on this one... What has the world come to :lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived