Foil or hanks?

nz moth

Both for us on new boat. Twin foil on furler headsail to carry wing on wing headsail downwind.

Hanks on inner forestay for #3 and storm headsail rather than a second furler.

Having experienced hanks in heavy weather Vs foil they would be my short handed heavy weather choice every time!

Hanks.

If swapping speed is an issue just get a pre-loader and bingo sail on to the forestay in 10 seconds or less ready to hoist. I have one and it's great but as I have headails only a smidgen bigger than a Optis I have no real need the loader but I probably will with the new bigger sails, especially when short handing.

Hi

I'm not sure what kind of boat you have, but if you are planning on doing a lot of crewed racing as well it might be worth having both. If you get just a few jibs with hanks, and the full set for the foil you can run the foil inshore/fully crewed, but take it off and use the hanks short handed. Its only worth the cost of the extra sails if you are planning on doing a lot of regattas and stuff where you would need the foil though

That would be great if it is. Mine is rooted from smoking the gennaker sheets over it etc. Probably won't last the winter as it's getting brittle and lose.

Looks like it is... I can drop it of to you at work. I'll probably be out that way tomorrow.

Scratch that it has 1706 stamped on the feeder so its the next size up.

Still for sale if anyone wants it.

I single hand a lot, and use brass hanks on the head sail. When it pipes up, I'd rather not go forward.

Sure, you can dump the halyard, but you've still got that sail flapping away out there.

Any advice on how to rig a jib downhaul that won't hang up on the forestay?

http://home.comcast.net/~catalina22flee ... nhaul1.jpg

Attach downhaul below top hank.

Fit small lizards (thimbles fitted to lizards) to 2 or 3 hanks.

Run downhaul through the lizards on the hanks then through a lizard at the tack and then run downhaul back to cockpit.

I have found if the downhaul is run through the hanks you will find it jamming at random times.

Also once sail is set take the slack out of the downhaul and make fast.

Being single handed, my thoughts are sail trim is not the main focus (staying safe and ease of handling more important) so would a line leading through the tack of the sail, tie to the head of the sail work just as well ?

No need to run through hanks or tie to lizards (whatever they are :?: )

Thanks Mr. Rigger. I best lots of sailors have wrestled with this.

Yup, if the downhaul is attached directly to a hank, it will pull one side of the hank down - leading to hang-ups.

Any chance we could get photos of those mysterious reptiles (lizards)?

Splashed my boat today (Western Lake Erie) - so life is grand.

Kiwi slides are a solution with a foil, you can get the sail down without losing it over the side. See

otherwise hanks +4

Absolutely agree, foils and kiwi slides, you can pre load and peel, drop and tidy later, easy up and easy down. :thumbup: And they're cheap :clap: :clap:

Any chance we could get photos of those mysterious reptiles (lizards)?

Only pic I could find - This one has a thimble in each end (is used for running a buntline), for the headsail lizard only on end has a thimble the other end has an eye and you can hitch it on, or splice it on, Also the lizard should be much shorter for the downhaul, no more than 4inches long when fitted.

System works well, might take a bit of tweaking to get it just the way you want.

lizard.jpg

Kiwi slides are a solution with a foil, you can get the sail down without losing it over the side. See

otherwise hanks +4

Absolutely agree, foils and kiwi slides, you can pre load and peel, drop and tidy later, easy up and easy down. :thumbup: And they're cheap :clap: :clap:

Kiwi slides are ok if you can get the cartridge that swivels. Otherwise if you have 1 on 1 side, t'other on t'other and you go down 2 sizes of jib you're unloading/loading cartridges all day. Big time pita

I had hanks on the Demonstrator... and slugs on the main

Too easy

Archived