Stanchion

banaari

291 is the common utility sika for bedding down etc. Small tubes from the chandlery. When you come back after a month and the nozzle is all sealed up you can prick a hole in the tube and scavenge out the rest, or if the job you're working on has gone bad , stab it with a screwdriver.

if you can countersink the bolt holes in the deck ,that forms an extra little O ring of sealant which helps prevent leaks after you've popped the brace in a 30 knot squall, smacked the pole on the forestay and rebent the staunchion inwards to a 15 degree angle just like it was before you got it straightened.

Was it sikaflex 192?

It is indeed Sikaflex 291. Of which I happen to have most of a tube :)

The 3 port stanchions were removed last night and dropped off for welding this morning.

So far, for:

(a) Rebuilding the rudder brackets with larger-diameter pintles

(B) Straightening one stanchion, welding end caps and guide tubes into all 3

© Fabricating stainless backing plates to replace the existing plywood

Less than $180 :)

Slight thread diversion.....but I seems to me that stanchions across the board seem to be pretty weakly attached things at best. I'm very happy to be corrected, but I cant help thinking that when you really need them most.....you know....big wave....washed across the deck.....grab the top wire as the last stop before a swim with the dolphins......The forces on a two or three little bolts/screws are massive with that sort of moment arm (top to bottom of the stanchion). I've yet to see one that I'd have confidence in if my life depended on it......and, in the end, isn't that really what they're there for???

In my opinion, stanchions and lifelines really only mark the edge of the deck. If you're seriously relying on them to keep you on the boat then I believe there's something wrong with your planning. Jacklines are supposed to stop you leaving the boat, lifelines are of limited value in keeping crew onboard in serious conditions. They're useful for retaining crew in mild conditions (maybe) and they tend to give people a sense of security, but that's about it.

I have come up against one once, but it was more a balance thing than a giant deck sweeping wave, but it was on dusk and plenty of wind and scared the pants off Angela, I am glad it held.

Surely there is a better way?

Why cant they be attached more securely without being butt ugly and impeding movement between the topsides and coaming????

A few weeks ago I slipped while going forward to drop the anchor (and it was dead calm in a bay !). Went through the lifelines between top and middle wire and ended up upside down over the side of the boat. The only thing that saved me was hooking my arm over the top wire as I went through. plenty of bruises from that one. Since then when moving around the boat I take it slow and slide my hand along the wire as a steady.

Best sealant I have found is Sikaflex MS (Placemakers). It is very flexible and never lets water in. sailed to Nelson andback via the west coast and no deck leaks anywhere. The other advantage over some the tougher sealants is the ease of removal of fittings without wrecking them.

The only thing that saved me was hooking my arm over the top wire as I went through.

Did you damage the stanchion fastenings, or did they hold up ok?

The only thing that saved me was hooking my arm over the top wire as I went through.

Did you damage the stanchion fastenings, or did they hold up ok?

Not a problem, but what I don't like is when people try to manouevre the boat by pulling on the tops of the stanchions - way too much leverage on the base.

Last season we had a bit of a rough one on my mates wee boat - I was catapulted over the coach-house and though the life lines with arms flailing - I stopped and they held up just fine.

I do think they give a false sense of security though, and this is born out by the amount of pressure people tend to put on them as per:

.. what I don't like is when people try to manouevre the boat by pulling on the tops of the stanchions - way too much leverage on the base.

This just makes me cry - I see it so often.

To my horror, I discovered that mine were merely bolted with penny washers through the ply deck - all now have SS plates on the under-side but I still don't trust them...

unbent_ii.jpg

Final outcome: Stanchion unbent, endcaps and guide tubes fitted to all six, and six stainless crushplates cut for the princely sum of $180. Now there is Sikaflex in places I'd rather there weren't, but that's better than the converse situation.

Archived