Weiti Winter series

Kiteroa

Yeah, they were doing about 9 knots and we were comfortable on 11, with 17 in the squirts. I think it's a Hanse 40? They were all over us upwind though. Above 20 knots we struggle against these larger heavy boats. we can't compete with their waterline length and displacement upwind in the breeze.

We have titanic struggles with a needly 7.9. Upwind where sitting pretty but down wind it can be depressing! I'm glad to see this playing out elsewhere :)

Really nice days sailing up in the tropics today. 8-12 knots and flat water. Perfect small boat conditions and that's pretty much the way the results read. Planet X first on line in white division, us 2nd for us on Wild Thing, then the big Hanse. On corrected it was Unitec 1, WT, then Settlers Reach.

Poor old Kirsten J had a hard race, The boys on the 780 managed to demolish their prod on Kirsten's transom, then Settlers Reach did something to upset them also. No doubt they will be armed with a protest flag next race!

Saw What's News having a good battle with Prozac. Not sure who won out in the end, but the News boys were looking good.

Bets days sailing this winter for us. Nice!

Is that Phil's 780?

What are you thinking Phil?

You should know trailer trash can't tangle with a real keeler, if its dodgems you want to play you'll come off second best every time. Just like that time Charlatan and Settlers had a wee coming together...

Yup good day overall, but a stupid, stupid mark rounding decision probably cost 1st or 2nd on handicap.

We'd had a great race up to the 2nd top mark. we were gassing settlers and unitec upwind and picking good shifts. Had a good set for the reach, good gybe and drop. 2nd beat was also all good still in front of settlers, unitec, Kirsten j etc etc. Then withchy woman Young 11 called starboard on us. rather than dipping then as I should have and sailing my own race in clear air I slam dunked em. Well a r780 is never going to gas off a Y11, dumb!

Then as we sucked their bad air, bad got worse and we couldn't lay the mark. we tacked onto starboard and then back onto the port lay just behind Kirsten J and accelerating up on them. As they rounded the mark wide, the red mist descended on me and I decided to try to gybe around the mark inside Kirsten J. No overlap, no rights just thought I could make it.

sh*t, not going to make it pull out!!!

BANG!!

Caught them right at the stern on the end of the prod. Ripped the prod fitting off, snapped a prod spreader, scarred my bow.

Put a small scratch on Kirsten J.

Bugger, 360 penalty turn saw us drop 4 places, got the genny up on the kite pole and gained 1 place back by the bottom mark.

last leg turned into a drag race which we were never going to win. 4th on handicap was a pretty good save after a bad mistake like that.

Really nice days sailing up in the tropics today. 8-12 knots and flat water. Perfect small boat conditions and that's pretty much the way the results read. Planet X first on line in white division, us 2nd for us on Wild Thing, then the big Hanse. On corrected it was Unitec 1, WT, then Settlers Reach.

Poor old Kirsten J had a hard race, The boys on the 780 managed to demolish their prod on Kirsten's transom, then Settlers Reach did something to upset them also. No doubt they will be armed with a protest flag next race!

Saw What's News having a good battle with Prozac. Not sure who won out in the end, but the News boys were looking good.

Bets days sailing this winter for us. Nice!

I dunno where we upset Kirsten J?? we dipped Raferty and gauged down on kirsten J where there was no action required by them.

All in all we had a shocker and dunno how we managed a 3rd as we did not deserve that one.

I'm glad we managed a clean race. Today we decided to swap around crew jobs on WT just to keep everyone interested, and we did some nice work actually. Although that knock right at the start meant we couldn't lay the pin. So a bit average there, but we came out in clear air in reasonable shape. We also a glamour drop at the bottom mark and stopped the boat with the A2 kite in the drink. Usually that big A2 demolishes itself within seconds of touching the water, but somehow we got it back in one bit which was nice. Apart from that, we were actually doing really nicely today. Boat felt fast for the most part.

I have been surprised how fast Rafferty has been this winter.

Phil, your rig looked really soft yesterday, it it supposed to have a set of check stays fitted? Looked like your main was blading out and you were struggling for drive.

Think our trusty old carbon #3 is nearing the end of it's life. It's finally starting to look a bit funny up the leach after 8 years of being our most used sail!

Archived