Rigid Vang

Taniwha

With mine, I tried a gas strut at first. I think that idea had some really good promise, but the strut I had was not quite strong enough, nor was it SST, so hence going to a spring. I think squash balls would not have been strong enough for mine. Possibly would have burst them. I think a decent SST spring is still a good choice.

Also in the unit I made, the end fittings had sheeves in them, so the unit itself was also the Vang purchase.

I really need to learn how to draw the pictures you guys seem to be come up with.

I haven't used that particular Strut. I did make my own rigid strut from two tubes and a long spring. I really liked it. But as it was a try and see, I used a Zinc coated spring. SST was really expensive. When that finally corroded, I removed the strut with the view I would reinstate it one day. I haven't found a calender with "one day" on it it yet, so I have never re fitted it.

There must be an alternative? I was thinking 4 gas struts that are used to hold tailgates etc open?? Rust? A small inner tube folded with the valve sticking out so you could pump it up or deflate it?

. . . I think squash balls would not have been strong enough for mine. Possibly would have burst them. . .

What about those solid SUPER BOUNCY balls as in toy shops.

Solid for basic strength / support but . . . bounce back really well, and high too.

Unlike squash balls, you don't kneed to warm them up before use . . . :thumbup:

Wheels, I'm sure you could make a jig that could test the load a squash ball could handle.

Please video

I'm sure the results when using one ball will be totally different to situations where 3, 5, 7 etc balls are used on the odd occasions or 4, 6, & 8 for racing on even days.

:eh: :shh: :shh: :shh:

For further testing, will inserting a golf ball or two change the dynamics.

I have access to floating golf balls for marine use so after a decent broach, they can be recovered more easily. :shh:

Mind you, big boys could handle tennis, netball or soccer balls.

Perhaps the oblong thugby ball would present less windage, and different ball pressures are obtain-a-ball. :think:

WT Do you have a drawing of Wheel's balls :?: Just asking you understand :silent:

It is important to have plenty of travel, so you are going to need a lot of balls of whatever type. A Gas strut or a decent spring gives a long length of travel. The beauty of the gas strut is that you have a constant pressure over the length of travel. A spring has the most resistance at the highest compression, yet you still need a decent amount of strength at it's least amount of compression to hold the boom up. But like the balls, a Sprig was easy.

I played around with the Gas strut idea for awhile, but just couldn't get it just right ad they are expensive things, so not a great deal of playing. There is a manufacturer of Rigid Vangs that uses Gas struts.

I must say, even after not having the Rigid Vang for a couple of seasons now, I still forget to release the topping lift to let the boom free. It was so easy with a rigid vang. The boom just sat in position when the Vang was released and the sail was down.

No. I would use a soft rubber hammer, not a cold metal sledge or claw hammer.

Carefully round off the metal ends of the tube.

On one boat there are some nicely turned nylon end pieces.

Be VERY careful and be very afraid of pinching your extremities with inserting and hammering :shh:

Archived