Rigid Vang

Taniwha

I haven't used that particular Strut. I did make my own rigid strut from two tubes and a long spring. I really liked it. But as it was a try and see, I used a Zinc coated spring. SST was really expensive. When that finally corroded, I removed the strut with the view I would reinstate it one day. I haven't found a calender with "one day" on it it yet, so I have never re fitted it.

Zen has one. We love it. We wind the boom down to flake then release the main sheet and it springs back into position. One advantage we've found is that we've set it up so it lifts the boom higher than where it would normally hang with the main up and this gives a pile of twist in a drifter. The alloy fittings at either end are a bit light and I've had to rejig it all with ss bits which are a bit more sturdy. I have 2 spare glass struts which I might consider selling to a good home.

Zen, I have a heavy boom which is OK at the moment as heavy means strong for the deep blue, but in the light it fecks me sail shape so I want to put on something I can lift the boom with or at least try to take weight off the leech.

If you had to redo your vang for some reason would you replace the Barton strut or would you go for one of the other type systems like the spring inside the tube type ones?

Pretty much the same thing by the looks SD.

Yes FbF dose have one or one very similar Bally

I like the simple of it all as well as being able to run massive purchase vangs but was wondering if there is any significent performance or other differances between those and the other types.

Looking at them they shouldn't be hard to copy Taniwha but it would be best to check out costs just to make sure you aren't spending $500 to save $100 sort of a thing.

Have seen some really nice, super lightweight home built ones, using squash balls as compression springs to set the height. Very effective with a weight less than a kilo for a 40ft setup. Not to mention cheap and no potential for corrosion.

I'll draw you a picture when I have a moment. Beauty of squash balls is that they come in all different grades of hardness, so you can really tune the dampening of the system.

Totally agree with Steve, that is both damn clever and damn simple.

Wheels, we have a new project on Monday. Yes of course, another one of those totally work related ones :lol: :lol:

Zen, I have a heavy boom which is OK at the moment as heavy means strong for the deep blue, but in the light it fecks me sail shape so I want to put on something I can lift the boom with or at least try to take weight off the leech.

If you had to redo your vang for some reason would you replace the Barton strut or would you go for one of the other type systems like the spring inside the tube type ones?

Yes we have the boom kicker variety. If I built a new boat I'd use this system again. When they're straight it takes an extra effort to start bending them which works out well.

Archived