Invercargill saves Auckland sailors.

rigger

So total funding required for 'the race' is 1.5million.

Where is that going to be spent?

Anyone a bit surprised that the first most of us heard about this race was in the national news.

The whole A2B race has been setup as a docu / movie deal that sounds more and more like a reality show in the making.

BTS I know you are trolling for comments.

What is your actual opinion of how much this race organisation is budgeted to cost? The consultation that was undertaken - if any - within the NZ sailing community.

I hope a success can be made of the race, but something about the amount of funding is not right.

1.5 million :shock:

Each boat must get given a welcome to the race container chocker with Bollinger, Beluga and a handful of virgins to serve them.

All the media rights are his / organisers.

He / organisers are film / doco makers.

Lots of funding from Tim de Southland Invergiggle

Funding from central trough as well.

Seems like the film / doco / Reality TV show seems a sure winner.

Now perhaps there needs to be a little local encouragement.

What would happen if they really wanted lots of boats, good stories etc for a film.

Instead of entry fees, what would happen if each boat was "GIVEN" to offset costs, R&M, some new sails say a basic fee of $5k or $10k plus an extra $1k or $2k per crew plus $1k for every meter over 10m for the size of boat.

So a 10m would get $10k for boat + $2k per crew member x 5 crew = $20k.

There would be a rush of entries. $20k to go sailing so new gear, good food, beer and rum and all you have to do is to go sailing . . . . in warm February.

Can't be all that bad,

So for the doco / film/ TV reality show, an expense of say 20 boats x $20k = $400k for free actors (most of dubious ability but generally fun loving), outdoor filming = venue hiring or studio work by and large covered as anything else would be in a Yacht Club or first bar ashore.

Such an event, with add breaks and recapping every 5 minutes, a few charts and graphics, with repeats and next week's trailers could easily fill 10 or 12 weeks of television half hour shows.

Definately more interesting IMHO than yet another cooking show, or another dumb asian at airport customs. :shh: :shh: :shh:

Nothing like seeing a "good old chunder in the old pacific" with great sound affects . . . . . :thumbup: :thumbup:

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Nice idea. Although getting any kind of money for an NZ doco is very difficult. Girlfriend and I are currently doing one for the great waikato seagull race, and it's pretty tough out there!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8801324 ... ails-pitch

Wow, it's on the Internet, $1.5 mil, it must be true :shock: to run a yacht race :think:

Check out the organisers quote

"People want to know more and be better informed . . . I am sure there are some people who've questioned what we're doing."

Yes!

Hay KM, In response, organisers have designed a partly demountable mooring system.

Is a partly demountable mooring system some kind of inflatable doll for 50fters?

I'm smiling at the part about going around Cape Reinga and heading down the east coast.

Given Stuff's scant regard for spelling, grammar, or any other aspect of the English language, I tend to ignore these now. Much easier than ignoring geography, I must say.

I'm smiling at the part about going around Cape Reinga and heading down the east coast.

There is NO problems with this course using the Manukau start line. 8) 8) 8)

Archived