Auckland-Marlborough-Fiordland, Stewart Island Jan/Feb 2014

Magique

Hi SanFran, Thanks for the info I was not aware of the web site but will take an interest from now on. I did the Advanced Sea Survival course with John Croft who is excellent, as is Bob.

However I had a good look around the site but could not see anything about a trip to Fiordland? Do you have a link please?

Cheers, Dave

Spent a month in Fiordland last year, sandfly protection is vital as are lots of DVDs and books. If you can read up on the history of the place it makes it lots more interesting. Plan on cooking lots of blue cod and make sure you have a big pot for the crays you will catch or be given. The Fiordland cruising guide is a must. You could spend months there and only scratch the surface.

Lovely photo sailing history David. I don't suppose you knew my uncle Graham Thomson who sailed out of Lyttleton in the 1960s and 1970s?

HK as a diplomat?

I was busy with Port Nick (Hon.Sec;Racing Sec; Vice Com.)in the late 1960s to 1980s and did a couple of Wellington Akaroa Races and so must have met your Uncle but, sadly, CRAFTs disease has taken it's toll, and I cannot recall the gentleman.

Hi SanFran, Thanks for the info I was not aware of the web site but will take an interest from now on. I did the Advanced Sea Survival course with John Croft who is excellent, as is Bob.

However I had a good look around the site but could not see anything about a trip to Fiordland? Do you have a link please?

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave...

I have contacted Bob McD at CANANZ who hopefully will respond with some info.

Nick

Bob seems to be having difficulty logging on to Crew.Org, so here's what he replied to me:

CANANZ is willing to help promote the A2B Rally around NZ this coming summer--- but we have no active plans to get involved ourselves and none of our members are taking part to my knowledge—we did ask at our Annual dinner and no one put their hand up.

You can post this info on crew.org and mention that there is a weather preview for the South Island summer at http://www.a2b-race.com/cruise-info/weather-forecast/

Note that the A2B Race has been put on hold and I suppose the A2B rally is as well, but that doesn’t stop those wanting to sail to Fiordland cruising grounds.

Hope it helps....

Nick

Thanks Nick,

Yes I saw the rally was postponed which probably means it wont go until 2015 now. So I expect the will be a limited number of yachts/launches in the Fiordland area, like myself.

The weather info from Bob is interesting and helpful.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Matt, that would be great to catch up.

I will be fitting the Optolamp next week, looks like a cool piece of equipment. I will email you another suggestion I have on equipment.

Cheers

Dave

that's nice to read :)

On, another note, What do people do for anchoring in Fiordland? I mean it's DEEP right up to the edge in many places. Just tie up to a convenient tree?

Archived