Coastguard Vision

Clive

Anyone got any real statistics?
Yeap and I put them all up on Crew a month or 2 back. Can't remember in which thread though.

Us lot aren't a high risk mob. I think more have drowned from suicide than they have by yachting.

A guy drowned about 2 months ago, they surmise he went in to rescue his tender that got away, by accounts an experienced yachtie.

We have blanket speed restrictions, why would life jacket rules be any different, comes down to the same thing, lack of common sense on behalf of the people involved in the activity.... be it boating or driving.....

SteveC that guy did not drown while using a tender. he was swimming, so counts in the swimming stats. or it should.

regs are not going to stop idiots.

part of the issue for me is security. we go ashore from a sheltered anchorage, leave the dinghy on the beach. don't want to leave our expensive lifejackets with it, but don't want to carry them around all day either. if worried, or away all day, we usually chain and lock the dingy to something, but there is no locker in the dinghy to store anything.

Some numbers from the Water safety council.

As these are from their latest report being 'Provisional 2012' it could explain why things take so long to happen. 2012 was 8 months ago now and surely they aren't waiting for people to rock up and say 'I drowned, count me please'.

With the 5 year average for 'sailing' being only 2% we as yachties are doing OK.

I had other info which broke the numbers down further again. I'll see if I can find that as how some drown did surprise me and in the numbers they do it, like the before mentioned suicide and car related.

I wonder if you crash your car into a river and drown whether that's counted as drowning or a road death.... or maybe both??? The other numbers I has suggested in that situation you would be included in the drowning Stats.

post-646-141887225209_thumb.jpg

Tenders could come in under 2 of the categories listed there .... either non-powered boating or powered boating, depending on whether they were rowing or outboard driven tenders.

It's interesting to me that the highest risk activity on a long term average is swimming and if you wanted to have an impact on the drowning stats you'd want to pick off the highest risk activities first, surely .... yet, they're targetting small boats which include the lowest drowning risks. So instead of picking the low hanging fruit first, they're trying to get to the top of the tree. Doesn't make any sense to me. Unless its because they're all too stupid or lazy to devise ways to reduce drownings in the higher risk categories and its just easier to slap a blanket lifejacket message on everyone in a boat and leave the high risk activities to sort themselves out. :roll:

Also interesting to see the 65+ age group accounting for 15% over the five-year period.

Following on from KM's questions, if you suffer a stroke or similar issue then end up in the tide (as someone unfortunately did off the launching ramp in Tut a couple of months ago) does that also go into the stats as a drowning?

One day of course I will think that 65 is quite youthful! :thumbup: but in relation to the current topic, I think there will inevitably be some that due to medical conditions or the shock, it is game-over from the second they hit the water.

Anyone got any real statistics?
Yeap and I put them all up on Crew a month or 2 back. Can't remember in which thread though.

Us lot aren't a high risk mob. I think more have drowned from suicide than they have by yachting.

Was it this one KM?

After hearing that many of the organisations on the Water Safety Council do want to keep the status quo and a lot of the whole 'compulsory' thing is being driven by the money up for grabs, I had a look at who drowns.

Interested to see that as much money and promo they push at this it'll never go away as over the last 20 years approx 25% of people who do drown do so due to being trapped in a crashed vehicle or due to committing suicide. Those 600 odd deaths are included in the national drowning stats.

The numbers, these are totals for the years 1992 to 2011-

- Unknown - 3

All the following are under 'Recreational'

- land based fishing - 174

- Non powered boat - 159

of which canoes get 24, kayaking gets 43, rafting gets 20 and rowing craft/dingy gets 72

- Powered Boat - 204

of which jet boats get 8, Jetskis get 5, Over 4mts gets 92 and under 4mts gets 99

- Sailing - 44

Keelboats 19, offshore sailing 14, dingy sailing 3, trailer sailors 4 and windsurfing 4

- Underwater - 152

snorkelling gets 48 of that, scuba 88 and free diving 16

- Water Sport/Recreation - 450

board sailing 19, boogie boards 15, diving/jumping 33, other recreation 66, Tubing/Canyoning 12, water skiing 2 and swimming a whopping 303

The following is non recreational

- accidental immersion - 603 (it doesn't say what that exactly means)

- Flood/Civil Emergency - 5

- Rescuing others a sad 43

- Commercial fishing - 73

Other reasons

- Aircraft - 14

- Homicide - 20

- Off road vehicle - 2

- other commercial - 29

- passenger ship - 1

- road vehicle - 268

- Suicide - 300

A quick summery of the above numbers in relation to the total 2542 drownings of the last 20 years -

Unknown -3 (0.12%)

Recreational - 1182 (46.5%)

non recreational - 724 (28.48%)

Other - 633 (24.93%)

The over all trend is downwards in all categories even if there is the odd spike along the way. We are generally a lot better now than in the late 90's. No categories pop out as out outstandingly improved or the opposite, all are trending along a similar path and have for the last 20 years, that I did find interesting. About the only one that has shown an improvement, even if small, is sailing, but I again note 'it's there but small' with a total of 8 in the last 9 years.

As it appears us yachties are a pretty safe bunch with only 1.73% of all drownings, I wonder if YNZ would like to tell us what their recommendation or which way they voted as our representative on the Water Safety Council. Going on another thread there is some concern over their communications so here's a good place to start.

Now everyone Please please please do knot let the loonie left nanny state fringe in Akl Super Shitty see these numbers as if we do we'll all have to wear lifejackets just to drive across the harbour bridge or worse, they will install life jackets on the bridge which must be worn by anyone who wants to 'fall off it' :?

I'm amused that the solution to swim ashore, due to refusing to wear life jackets is approx 6 times more dangerous than what we probably include under sailing.

For a stubborn prick like myself, and by the sounds of it, squid, we will be 'forced' into unsafe behaviour.

I'll not be wearing a lifejacket in a tender if I dont think it is neccessary.

Was it this one KM?
That's the bugger. Nice work Holmes :)

And note those ones cover a 20 odd year period so will have had the spike and troughs blended in.

Archived