New mast boot in situ?

John B

I think the stuff Wheels was referring to is called Spartite. Go to http://www.spartite.com/default.aspx for more info. This got my aqttention as I have a round peg in a square hole - so to speak. My collar is square and the mast of course is oval. Usually once a year I have to reseal it with Sikaflex to stop water running down it. Any suggestions?

We use a 3M product offshore called Scotch Cast 2130 for potting cables. It dries semi flexible but you wouldn't want a 50mm depth of collar filled with it. The mast would never come out. If you can make a mould around the underside of the mast that won't allow any to run past (it is runny as hell, gets through any small hole and makes a mess) you could pour this in to about 20mm thick, or thin enough that you could cut it with a stanley knife afterwards to get your mast out. It is brilliant stuff.

Comes in a plastic bag, 2 pot with the hardner and resin seperated by a heat seal that is cunningly designed to pull apart. So you pull the heat seal, mix the stuff in the plastic bag, cut off a corner and pour. As long as the surfaces are clean and grease free, it will stick OK.

Only downside is that it is BLACK.. :crazy: :crazy: I will try and get some photos of it and post 'em.

AA for your boat it sounds like you need spar-tite or if its too expensive at least it will need some chocks to stop the mast moving around (we used to make these out of acetal) and then sika over the chocks. If the gap isnt too much and you want to sika it up you can always pack it out with Plastercine and then sika over it quite thick so it doesnt sag. Then Remove the plastercine when its dry. You use plastercine to make the Dam for the spartite to pour against. Awesome stuff. Just dont forget to vaseline the mast colar before you pour! Or you will glue your mast in place haha

Cheers Marshy. The mast doesn't move too much as it is chocked, it seems that once a year it starts to leak and I wondered if there was an alternative to sikaflex. Having said that it's only an hours work. I think Spartite is quite pricey though. Looks like I'll keep on plugging away with what I've got...

Maybe Scotch Cast would be cheaper AA? It must be virtually an identical product from what I have read, except it's black. Available from most electrical wholesalers, and 3M have a big warehouse in Albany, so they would be able to tell you where to get it. It comes in various sizes... Photos in the next post.

And this is how flexible it is.. I reckon it would be perfect and would seal well because it is so runny, not viscous like sealant. This one was poured into a mould made of shrink tube.

Finished splice-flex.JPG

That scotch cast looks pretty cool stuff! Very useful... And maybe a good solution.

You wouldnt be able to bend spartite like that, Its far to hard setting for that, It sets like plastic, Basically it is a way to chock masts to stop movement rather than a way to seal masts. It sets like hard plastic.

Hey Marshy. This stuff would set pretty hard too. It's just that it is a long and thin section. When we use it to say waterproof a cable going through a bulkhead (when we have no cable glands) it is pretty hard. I am just very suspicious that it is virtually identical. I don't think the flexibility would hurt and there is no shrinkage. It mixes in similar ratios (is easier to mix, no mess!) and gets warm when mixed (exothermic).. I dunno, if I could make a neat join, I would use it. I have absolutely no idea how much it costs but it is not "marine" so you could probably cut the price in half!! :thumbup:

We seal diver's umbilical electrical cables with it and it is good at 300 metres keeping the water out if you do it right...

I'll find out where I can get it from. Cheers.

Smithy Boat's Bits & Sh*t. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got heaps out here. Might have to smuggle some home. Knowing my luck it would explode in my bag on the plane...

I think the stuff Wheels was referring to is called Spartite. Go to http://www.spartite.com/default.aspx for more info. This got my aqttention as I have a round peg in a square hole - so to speak. My collar is square and the mast of course is oval. Usually once a year I have to reseal it with Sikaflex to stop water running down it. Any suggestions?

AA. Got home yesterday, and have a present for you. :D PM me when would be a good time to catch up!

Use Silaflex MS - you can get it from Placemakers.

It is a great general purpose sealant for just about anything including deck fittings and is cheaper, more flexible and in my opinion better than most of the products at the chandlers.

We have used almost exclusively on our boat and no leaks in 8 years

It is also easier to remove than say sikaflex - doesnt wreck your deck if you need to remove a fitting

I usually use white as it is less messy - you can clean up with meths

Bruce Elliot used it as a mast boot when installing our mast about 4 years ago and no leaks so far

Probably not suitable below the waterline

Archived