Cascading Washboards

DrWatson

Just seen these while trolling around the intertubes looking at new boats for ideas. They look pretty nifty, and a nice idea to prevent a guest from chucking your boards in the tide when they stack them on the coaming.

Anyone got these? Thoughts? Drawbacks, strengths or general comments?

A few of the boats I've sailed on have them or at least a version of this

Great concept and means they are always at hand

But

They are often incorporated into a bridge deck and I wouldn't have a boat with one, as it's another step up and down every time you enter or exit the boat ( remember we spend atleast 90% of our time onboard not offshore )

If you can do it so they drop into the cockpit sole somehow that would be great.

Just a thought

For cat3 you need to be able to leave the bottom washboard in to deck level so I don't know how that would work on anything other than a bridgedeck setup.

Links pictures ?? hard to comment otherwise :-)

Yeah, I know... kinda hard to find good pic. I think in this vid they have them, but I can't get youtube to work at the moment so can't tell you at what minute it is...

I see that they're always on boats without bridge decks. I kinda like bridge decks... kinda make me feel safer if the cockpit is suddenly filled with water from a large following one...

True it's a pain at anchor and that you spend a lot of time at anchor, but before you can do that, you have to get to the anchorage. It's a long way from Europe to Port Fitzroy...

Around 5:30 in the video I posted above, for those of you who've not stumbled over them...

Other versions have them in two, three parts. My question is how do you get a good seal? Trad. washbaords are trapezoidal and get tighter and seal better when you thump them down...

Definitely solves the "where to store them" problem.

Around 5:30 in the video I posted above, for those of you who've not stumbled over them...

Other versions have them in two, three parts. My question is how do you get a good seal? Trad. washbaords are trapezoidal and get tighter and seal better when you thump them down...

Definitely solves the "where to store them" problem.

I rather suspect that an absolutely hermetic seal has been sacrificed for convenience. Would also be keen to know what happens to the rain and spray and other muck that must accumulate in the recess below.

I rather suspect that an absolutely hermetic seal has been sacrificed for convenience. Would also be keen to know what happens to the rain and spray and other muck that must accumulate in the recess below.

They have a hose off the bottom to a skin fitting

But they are the best collector of crap ever invented

If you're going to have a sliding door Doc, why don't you have it go sideways in a pocket rather than up and down..

The best , least complex system I've seen on a bridgedeck boat is a seperate little slot or pocket for the washboard to go in on the deckhead, sort of like an extra little hatch garage. You can pull the board out and put it away right there beside the companionway, all while still on its lanyard.

food for thought.

Archived