And you thought Ak Hr was crowded

.....Marley point yacht race, Gippsland lakes, some ten (or more, im gettin old) years ago. Think it still holds the record of the most boats on an inshore race.

AT NIGHT...from a big lake up a narrow connection to another lake....with a huge thunderstorm...

Carnage...

YEP GOOD OLD DOCTOR GOOGLE.. :D

fROM THE OFFICIAL RECORDS

. The halcyon days of the high rolling eighties saw the largest ever entry of 657 yachts in 1986 making it at that time arguably the largest yacht race in the world.

Imagine that amount of boats TACKING up what is like an average river, in the pitch black, lit only by lightning bolts...

An early sports cat with a large stick out the front kept on playing "shishkabab" with the trailer sailors..

Giveway rules where a joke and only led to being hung up in the overhanging trees.

If some boat yelled tack then the ripple down effect, down the straights was like someone slamming on the breaks on a bumper to bumper freeway !

Oh and then torrential rain took the vis down too about 5 metres...

Its sure one I will remember because the other people on the boat I was on got friendly with a bottle of scotch down below, while I sailed the boat mostly on my own..

ahhh the good old days, and only four boats sank.

Hey and if this ever comes up in your club as an idea....

The race boasts a proud history, commencing in 1969 after a discussion amongst club members about the merits of a long distance night time race.

Tell em to cap the race numbers at....600 :D :D

Ahhh the Marley Point race...

Quite often a drifter in the narrows at times. One bright crew found winch handles tied to the kite helped with the trim... Underwater!

I have only been once, blew like stink and the race was cancelled. Great... except all the cars and trailers were at the other end of the lake. We sailed the course, 12 knots boatspeed, wicked chop, in a Nolex 25

Archived