Leaving the boat in QLD

Black Panther

That's OK, I can handle it! Not sure what the prices are now, but here is the web site; http://www.lawriesboatservices.com.au/

Its well sheltered, and you should get up there fine. A dingy ride to "town" and the main beach. All boat services available. Bus to the airport...

We stayed there for 3 weeks or so, enjoyed all of it!

I can second IT's comments. I left my boat at the Mooloolaba YC marina for several months and its a great spot - good amenities, reasonably priced, friendly bunch etc.

Theres lots of good sheltered mooring options up the Mooloolaba river, from marinas, to poles to swings etc.

Cant remember what I paid for the berth, but it was similar to Auckland and a whole lot cheaper than the likes of Sydney.

Mooloolaba is about an hours drive north of Brisbane and the Brisbane based customs were OK with us "checking out" in Brisbane then driving north to leave via boat, im unsure about entry though.

BTW - if you get the customs agent with the initials TC, i pity you.

Sounds good. WHat happened was I looked at IT's photos of his trip and now the itchy feet are driving me crazy. Realistically I've got 2 years to wait (plus pay off the boat and get her ready).

But my brother called last night and I made the offhand suggestion that I could take the boatto the Whitsundays next year and they could join us for a while. He was all over it and an hour later my sister called from CA saying they would come too.

It has gone from a casual comment to something approaching a plan. But I would have to fit it around a bit of work etc.

Bundaberg, cheapest

I have taken a NZ boat into Bundaberg on the way back from Hamo last year. Great marina, great facilities and great staff. Also have a very large dry stack for cruising boats. Would recommend this to anyone. Better than Mackay which is very over priced. You can clear customs at Bundaberg as well. If looking at Mooloolaba you have to go right up the Brisbane river before heading back out. I'm currently in Brisbane if you wanted help or any questions.

Carl

And as I typed that I got the reply from Bundaberg, very nice , and they are sending me more stuff to read, plus they'll pay the quarantine fees if I stay there. Impressed so far.

wasn't there a write up about a yacht that spend a week anchored in a field when they had floods through there?

Many writeups, some even factual. Marina that had the problems is gone, other is business as usual. There should be a start on another new one at Burnett Heads shortly.

Archived