Anchor time.

These new fangled Bugel knock off anchors like the Rocna should come with a seabed mining permit re the damage that they are causing to the sea floor.

Rumour has it that the more environmentally sensitive Europeans are looking to ban this design. :D

Not to mention premature terminal over load failure of windlasses and human backs and very grubby fore decks.

They are simply the wrong shape IMHO.

The latest Rocna Vulcan has removed the roll bar and is a marriage of design between a Massey Ferguson tractor seat and a traditional spade anchor.

NS0RB2N.jpg

This Sarca Excell looks like it would be a more 'bottom" friendly shape.

ACf0eZH.jpg

I have neither the space to stow nor any interest in sea bed mining so I am "sticking" with a 316 stainless plough copy.

Z7jkxmT.jpg

Mud and crap free.

someone will complain about everything!

IMO an anchor that sets fast and stays put does less damage to the seabed than one than moves more before setting, and possibly drags.

I used to have a Manson CQR type. I now have a Rocna. No way would I go back, after over 1000 nights at anchor.

Have used many different types of anchors - current one is an Excel. Best ever. And it never comes up without some seabed on it, suggesting that it has done its job.

For a mob who bleats like stuck pigs Manson and others have copied them the Rocna team are 100% full of excrement. The Rocna was a Spade copy that finished as it did so they didn't breach patents, they then copied the shank off the Manson Supreme. The Vulcan is the Rocna holy grail, what it wanted to be but legally never could be, a 101% directly knocked off copy of the genuine Spade anchor. I suppose Rocna making them in China allows them to flick the bird at Patents and other peoples IP. And the general boating public as they sell them as 'the NZ anchor' even though they have been made in china for years. Now they'll spin this knock-off as them being some legends when in fact they are only a bunch of dodgy copying hypocrites.

Rumour has it that the more environmentally sensitive Europeans are looking to ban this design. :D .
It's not a rumour. In Aussie it's being called the Rocna Pox, which is a bit unfair as Rocnas are far from the only culprit. It's only a matter of time before the Supreme, Spade, Bugle and some other of the area based designs get dragged into it. There are some greenies throwing photos around of some bays with seagrass bottoms with a before and after action. they do show carnage. What's happening in Aussie is also happening in Europe. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Yes one must be careful - when knocking another product, as Peter actually borrowed a selection of Simpson Lawrence Delta anchors from me to trace around the shank, when 'designing' the original Rocna . Because of all the testing they had paid for in the UK he knew that it presented well to the sea bed, then I explained to him what CQR stood for.

Well, when I order my Salona 33 I suppose getting any sort of a anchor and roller will be another extra.qBeJjSF.jpg

Or maybe these cunning Croats have done away with anchors ropes and chains altogether.

Ahh the power of the human mind.

Just put an Excel on AC. Based on limited usage so far stopping power is hugely improved over Manson. When setting anchor motoring slow astern Manson used to bite like I've reversed into a sponge. Excel bites like I've reversed into a brick wall.

A few people could have done with a decent anchor or instructions how to use one on mussell fest day at Fitzroy.  What a drag fest , and no , I'm not talking about Motorbike dressing up funny.

I had to shorten up from 40 to 20 metres and hit hard reverse to plough out a trench and pluck the whole shebang out from in front of the cabin boat raft up that was happily doing 1/2 a knot onto my bow. Bedlam around the whole anchorage I gather after that as the gusts came through. I did watch three other boats take off  as we were leaving but heard some other stories from other people there too.

There is no safety in numbers when it comes to anchoring. If that raft up to windward is anchored with a piece of rebar, best to move before they drag and engage the whole fleet!!

Archived