Mid Atlantic rescue

Yep, pretty much what I thought. They are towing something, but if it is a drogue, its pretty useless! 9m seas apparently. Boat looks ok... I wonder what the story is...

Four yachts called in to shore for help because of the severe storm, the Associated Press reported.

One of the boats was carrying a French couple and their two children, officials said.

The sailboat sank and the 6-year-old girl, who had spent hours in the ocean while they were waiting to be rescued, died later of hypothermia, according to the AP.

The mother and 9-year-old son were picked up by a merchant ship after managing to climb onto the yacht's lifeboat.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/dramatic-video-shows-air-rescue-stranded-passengers-mid/story?id=30902426

I saw that erice, very sad. That was not the boat in the video above, which looked OK to me. I'm not saying conditions were not bad, and there may have been a good reason to leave the boat, but I could find no info. 9m seas are "less than pleasant"!

yes looks like the media are mixing video and stories of the 4 boats caught in the storm

at least the ones that radioed for assistance?

could be that these weren't blue water sailors crossing the atlantic

but coastal? sailors tripping around the azores

helos don't have a big range...

I'd say the crew were probably a bit scared and wanted off, looks quite rough but as was said the boat seems to be handling it fine.

They may have had the helo near by and were given the chance to get off so took it, the rescuers usually give them the option.

If I were by myself or with a race crew there would be no question but to ride it out, If I had the responsibility for the family with small children the answer may well be different. Pretty easy to say from the comfort of the desk but different from out there.

From memory after various training's and briefings with Helo Guys our NZ ones have about a 100 mile range allowing for only a short window at the site before they have to return.

They are jumping off a perfectly good boat. :wtf:

Awww look, its gotten a tad too wavy and uncomfortable, :roll:  I know lets call in the chopper......

It looks like a Swan of a generation that were extremely well built, I would take my chances on the Swan thanks.

Kudos however to the chopper pilot- quite the flying when you think of a swimmer hanging off the line with 9m seas rolling through

• Upvote 1

I don't have enough info to make a call on whether the boat was ok or what condition the crew may have been in or how good tie downs were inside for floorboards, equipment and crew and therefore risk of injury. Or whether they were pumping water etc etc.

I did think it was getting along at quite a clip even with the drougue, but as long as the drouge prevented broach and roll, good!

Problem could be cross seas later causing broach and roll from a different direction and I don't know what was forecast.

I think it is a big call Rats to say they are jumping off a perfectly good boat without knowing the real story. Pics never show what it's really like, and it looks pretty rough to me. 9 m seas don't come from nowhere! All sorts of situations could have lead to this - could have been pumping 24 7, no power left, crew to tired to continue etc etc...

Agree it may be a big call but reviewing the vid I do not see a boat that should be stepped off of.

Did not look like it was wallowing and full of water  and it seems that not all the people were recovered leaving some to navigate home?

• Upvote 1