Pocket Offshore Cruisers

in "2 years before the mast"

dana speaks well of sailing abilities of the sandwich islanders (hawaians)

A considerable trade has been carried on for several years between California and the Sandwich Islands, and most of the vessels are manned with Islanders

by whatever names they might be called, they were the most interesting, intelligent, and kindhearted people that I ever fell in with. I felt a positive attachment for almost all of them; and many of them I have, to this time, a feeling for, which would lead me to go a great way for the mere pleasure of seeing them

Old “Mr. Bingham” spoke very little English—almost none, and neither knew how to read nor write; but he was the best-hearted old fellow in the world. He must have been over fifty years of age, and had two of his front teeth knocked out, which was done by his parents as a sign of grief at the death of Kamehameha, the great king of the Sandwich Islands. We used to tell him that he ate Captain Cook, and lost his teeth in that way. That was the only thing that ever made him angry. 

........He had been to sea from a boy, and had seen all kinds of service, and been in every kind of vessel: merchantmen, men-of-war, privateers, and slavers; and from what I could gather from his accounts of himself, and from what he once told me, in confidence, after we had become better acquainted, he had even been in worse business than slave-trading. He was once tried for his life in Charleston, South Carolina, and though acquitted, yet he was so frightened that he never would show himself in the United States again;

check out the reference to nz kanaks eating people

http://www.bartleby.com/23/19.html

Peacekeeper (Carpenter 29) did the Auckland -Suva race a few years back. They are rock solid boats with a really good strong rig on them. I think Stormy Dawn did the round North island too. They would easily handle an off shore cruise.

Very interesting. I have done several thousand miles in a Chico 30 called Auriga - Suva, Vila, across the Tasman and back for a Hobart race and numerous Akl-Gisborne and White Island races. At that time there was a large number of 30 foot ocean capable yachts in Auckland. A well founded Chico 30 would be about as good as you can get in that size if offshore is where you want to be ... and you can park them close to the settlement at Lord Howe island for the Friday Night Fish Fry ... if the fancy takes you.

That book looks awesome Zozza. It's on my list too now :)

When I was buying my boat I had look into a Jouet 24 for sale up in Weiti. She needed some love on the exterior (hadn't been touched in a few years, so she'd grown a reef, running rigging was dead and standing rigging was questionable), but the interior was apparently pristine (I didn't end up having a look). she'd been sailed here from Denamrk in the late 80's. over the course of researching her I discovered more of the story, unfortunately mostly not in English: http://www.ontdekkingsschrijver.nl/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/WimvanDijk.pdf you can google "Asfaloth Jouet 24" for more.

My Stratus is faster than her but she was seaworthy. I will admit I experienced some regret choosing the Stratus -- I did have some fantasies of travelling the world in the Jouet, something I'm less confident to do in the boat I chose. Realistically, though, my goals right now are local racing, so the Stratus was the better choice. I'll get my ocean cruiser another day...

Peacekeeper (Carpenter 29) did the Auckland -Suva race a few years back. They are rock solid boats with a really good strong rig on them. I think Stormy Dawn did the round North island too. They would easily handle an off shore cruise.

Funny that, I own one !. Stormy Dawn won the RNI race.

Someone mentioned earlier in this topic, the best one what you have... follow this line I would consider Nova 28 as a very capable candidate. I only referring to the FG version as I don't know too much about timber or plywood ones. Based on my very limited experience (two days at sea from Dunedin to Akaroa upwind all the way) will handle 5-6m waves while the wind sustained around 35-38knts with massive gusts. At the time I only had a bit of concern about the rigging as I did not checked before we left Port Chalmers, other than that wasn't that bad. In my understanding nowadays people tending to expect to have the same comfort as they have at home, so the desired boat size increased regardless their budget. In the other hand we always will see adventurers out there who leaving safe waters with the boat what they have, like Andrew Fagan or this chap who I found on Youtube last year. Good on them.