Nexus NX2 system displaying 0 wind speed and angle

What I have learnt about this stuff:

- Molly's advice at Kiwi Yachting has cost me about $2k and I still don't have working windgear

- before submitting your kit for testing at Kiwi Yachting, make a note what age you were when you took it in.  It won't make it any quicker but it does help when trying to work out how long it's taken.

- Garmin Help is run by either a talking chimpanzee or a bot.  Whatever the answer is they are f*in useless

Please advise your progress on this.  My experience has led me to begin designing and building a Death Star.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Might be a good time to update it. $2600 for a B&G wireless (mast unit, rest is wired) Triton 2 depth/speed/wind pack. Comes with masthead unit, receiver, Triton 2 display, N2k starter kit, DST (d

Here was some good info:   nx2_service manual.pdf

The masthead unit will have failed most likely.  The new network units which you have just sit on the bus sending info direct to all displays. The reason you are getting true wind speed is i

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Dtwo said:

What I have learnt about this stuff:

- Molly's advice at Kiwi Yachting has cost me about $2k and I still don't have working windgear

- before submitting your kit for testing at Kiwi Yachting, make a note what age you were when you took it in.  It won't make it any quicker but it does help when trying to work out how long it's taken.

- Garmin Help is run by either a talking chimpanzee or a bot.  Whatever the answer is they are f*in useless

Please advise your progress on this.  My experience has led me to begin designing and building a Death Star.

And so what is the issue with your gear. 

There's nothing available except wired wind transducers and speed and depth transducers Garmin have made everything else obsolete so pretty hard to service gear when you cannot get parts. 

13 hours ago, ballystick said:

The unit is a wired unit straight into the bus. I would like to hear how Kiwijon gets on, weather not the best at present

Bally mast cables and masthead units are available ex nz around 650 inc Gst for the set. 

Over the weekend I removed the wind transducer from it's base and took it to the local Garmin agent who set up a bus network to check it with a new one. It produced a 0 knot signal when compared to a new unit. So I've ordered a new transducer as mentioned in previous posts.

It wasn't straightforward testing of the output like a normal transducer but luckily had a test rig to try it out.

On 21/07/2020 at 3:37 PM, ballystick said:

Over the weekend I removed the wind transducer from it's base and took it to the local Garmin agent who set up a bus network to check it with a new one. It produced a 0 knot signal when compared to a new unit. So I've ordered a new transducer as mentioned in previous posts.

It wasn't straightforward testing of the output like a normal transducer but luckily had a test rig to try it out.

Whilst physically looking the same the difference between the Nexus wind transducer (wired) and the Garmin gWind transducer is in the output. The Nexus wind transducer outputs a pulse on the yellow and white wire where the pulse rate is wind speed and the pulse duration is the wind direction. The Nexus server decodes these pulses and outputs the data on the Instrument rs485 network/bus.

The Garmin gWind does that pulse decoding up in head unit and outputs it as rs485 serial data which is why the Garmin gWind has to be wired to the Instrument rs485 network/bus. I am surprised that Garmin could not repair your transducer with new electronics.

I am still waiting for the rigger to replace my transducer. This will be my 3rd wind transducer in 32 years. The first was the original Silva Nexus transducer. That was replaced, after a very close lightning strike fried the electronics up top, with the NX2 tranducer I am now replacing.

Hi KJ, I didn't ask them to repair it but that may have been a good option as the bearings were all OK. They didn't offer to repair it either but I will check it out when I get the old unit as I work with some electronic people and have access to some test gear. I hope the new unit will offer a few more years of service ahead.

• 4 weeks later...

After some time I opened up the sensor to find it full of dirt and dust, covering the opto-sensors and partially covering the opto-ball?? What an amazing idea I reckon. I will try to test is with oscilloscope, the pulse frequency is the speed and the pulse length is the direction, all on 2 wires. Results to come!

20200818_151657.jpg

20200818_151714.jpg

20200818_152131.jpg