Living aboard in Auckland

Hi,

I'm moving to Auckland (from Opua) in Feb to spend a couple of years at uni. Plan to live on my boat down there (been 7 years, why change now!) and looking for a convenient place to find a mooring. Don't know Auckland very well.

Ideally need somewhere within a few km from Auck centre, relatively sheltered with somewhere to keep car and dingy. Boat is 14 m LOA 1.5 m draft. Any ideas?

Cheers, Lily

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a total pratt!

How the hell is living on a boat bludging? Rates are a charge based on property. Property owners pay them and non property owners don't. As over 50% of the population don't own property then thats alot of bludgers. Maybe we should go for the Council Tax as used in the UK which puts a 'tax' on every individual but is not related to property?

Tamaki River up by Panmure is a good location, or up near Herald Island. Both offer shelter and facilities ashore. Also Westpark Marina and Bayswater Marina offer facilities for cruising yachts.

cheers

People who pay rent are paying the landlord's rates.

How is it bludging? Oh I don't know?????? I wonder who pays for the road maintenance and the rubbish collection, and cleaning the streets, and the parking spaces, and the parks and foreshore where you might park the dinghy, and administering the city, and the stormwater system, and the sewers????? Oh its probably the same people who pay for all the items that dumbarses are always saying the Government should pay for.

And yes half the people at Uni are bludgers who would rather do a degree in flaxweaving than do something useful. And yes I think it is sad that Paul Henry was pilloried and the same with Jeremy Clarkson in the UK.

If you want to live on board your yacht, then that is just fine by me, just don't come ashore to use any of the facilities.

People who pay rent are paying the landlord's rates.

How is it bludging? Oh I don't know?????? I wonder who pays for the road maintenance and the rubbish collection, and cleaning the streets, and the parking spaces, and the parks and foreshore where you might park the dinghy, and administering the city, and the stormwater system, and the sewers????? Oh its probably the same people who pay for all the items that dumbarses are always saying the Government should pay for.

And yes half the people at Uni are bludgers who would rather do a degree in flaxweaving than do something useful. And yes I think it is sad that Paul Henry was pilloried and the same with Jeremy Clarkson in the UK.

If you want to live on board your yacht, then that is just fine by me, just don't come ashore to use any of the facilities.

You're confusing direct with indirect contributions. If you go ashore to catch a bus or rent a car you are immediately paying something into the local economy. If you buy things from the local shops your purchase contributes towrds the shop's costs some of which go towards rates and services. On your argument, BBW, anyone who visits without living ashore is a bludger. Maybe we should ban tourists and the spend they bring when they step ashore?

amadis - don't be put off by this response, he doesn't speak for all Aucklanders.