Men Injured on boat

Yes MNZ can investigate any incident commercial or private. My neighbour was once on the receiving end of a prickly MNZ investigation after telling his fellow drinking buddies in the yacht club about hitting the bricks the previous weekend. He suspects one of his race rivals dobbed him in - and it worked MNZ spring into action. Make of that what you will.

On 14/02/2021 at 5:53 AM, Fogg said:

Yes MNZ can investigate any incident commercial or private. My neighbour was once on the receiving end of a prickly MNZ investigation after telling his fellow drinking buddies in the yacht club about hitting the bricks the previous weekend. He suspects one of his race rivals dobbed him in - and it worked MNZ spring into action. Make of that what you will.

Was someone injured? There may not be any need to report some accidents unless there is third party damage (including environmental) or injury.

1 hour ago, DrWatson said:

Was someone injured? There may not be any need to report some accidents unless there is third party damage (including environmental) or injury.

Yes, one critically, both had to be flown to hospital by chopper.

3 hours ago, DrWatson said:

https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/commercial/safety/accidents-reporting/faqs.asp

Says commercial but I think recreational report to Harbour master??

All near misses/mishaps are suppose to be reported but who wants to be tied up in red tape?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, harrytom said:

All near misses/mishaps are suppose to be reported but who wants to be tied up in red tape?

Near-misses are a pita in reporting environments.  Its pretty hard to define.  I could write up 20 or so near miss reports based on my 20km daily commute each day.

OTOH, if your insurance company was to get a claim from you and then uncover a history of unreported indiscretion, that could be a problem.

Lose/lose as they say