Westhaven-Bayswater Marina Berth wanted

smithy09

After spending about 12 years on and off a Ross 40 (Messy Games) don't stress too much about the inline rig as the others here have already stated, it's just a part of the fun.

Bloody good boats - you'll love it

and my budget was limited

Poor Smithy could only afford a mint Ross 40 - my heart bleeds for you Smithy! :lol: You're gonna love it dude :thumbup:

Hahaha. Yeah fair call AA. I have stretched everything to get this boat though. Mero says I am nuts!! Considering I started looking at 88s 2 years ago, this is quite a change!!

Considering I started looking at 88s 2 years ago, this is quite a change!!

This is inspiring stuff for a young player such as myself Smithy - any more information you can provide on how you carried off the up-sell strategy?

Yeah, he's worked his arse off over in an unstable part of the world doing all hours God gave him while sacrificing a good life back here in Godzone so that he could achieve his goals. All the while hoping some hapless diver didn't get his guts blown across the boat because some other tech went to sleep while doing a poo transfer at high pressure. That about cover it Smithy?

Kind of a modern-day version of "lick road clean wit' tongue" AA. :lol:

Given all of the above I will stick with the 88-and-a-lotto-ticket strategy in the meantime.

Hah! AA.

Nice write up, but probably not quite as tough as that, but thanks anyway!

Actually, what pushed me to do it when I should be paying off mortgages instead, was the fact that my kids will probably only be interested in sailing with me for another 5-6 years, and I have had a few freinds and quite a few aquaintances either die from cancer, or drop dead from heart attack. Who knows how long we have left?? I also see quite a few poor sad bastards holding on to their last 2-3 million bucks with really tight fists while their health slowly fails.. What for??

So what started as a $60K budget rapidly escalated to something more.... But it is a project for all the family not just me.. (I hope anyway)

As AA hints at, the new job has helped a lot, and also the confidence (touch wood) that I will continue to get work as there is zero job security..... Of course being away from NZ for 5-6 months of the year is not great..

Last but not least, it is a replacement for my other passion, motorcycle road racing, which is just great and I love it, but it can be bad for your health.. And the partner and kids are bored by it...

As a previous owner of Jesse James (messy games to Wal) I concur with the commentary about the runners. They can be a pain in the arse if you are racing and put a bunny on them with issues such as over rides etc. Other than that gybing in fresh breezes with a fractional chute will be your only challenge and all you really need to do there is bring the main in with the new runner or folllow the mainsheet man in, all the time keeping the boat under the chute and banging off the old runner at the appropriate time. Takes a bit of practice, the occasional mare, me more times than I care to remember , but satisfying when you do it right!

Have fun!

Jesse James. I looked at that boat and liked it a lot but couldn't get my hands on the cash fast enough, and I beleive she was snapped up at around $150K.. Funny enough, she is just across the pier at Bayswater, and that funny French name has gone with big Jesse James logos down the side. :thumbup: :thumbup: I think JJ was built a few years later than the Marshall and has a foam core rather than balsa. It had some trick gear on it, but wasn't as nice inside as the Marshall and still had the engine under the cockpit wheras the Marshall has had it moved forward.

Nice to know so many people on here like Ross 40s and have so much experience with them.. I may need to call on that in the near future! :D :D

Congratulations Craig, what a beauty. Looks like she's got more carbon fibre on her than my TZ :D John.

Hey John. Thanks mate. Yeah, must have been the supressed bike racer coming out in me. Saw all the carbon... SOLD! :D

Oh, Marina Berth is sorted. Bayswater. Couldn't resist pissing KM off every time he comes past the end of G pier...

You guys could form the Bayswater Ross Owners Society or BROS for short.

Sorry, best I could do... :roll:

Oh, Marina Berth is sorted. Bayswater. Couldn't resist pissing KM off every time he comes past the end of G pier...

We could get a bulk deal on Dirty Dog sunglasses...

Oh, Marina Berth is sorted. Bayswater. Couldn't resist pissing KM off every time he comes past the end of G pier... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

while horrendously drunk and barely in control of his own vessel..... at the best of times. Nothing to worry about I'm sure ;)

That's actually a goodie Murky, I like it :thumbup:

The BROS AGM would be long and messy I'd think. Just walking past one of the other members boat during a 10min flyby of the marina a month or so back. An hour later I couldn't drive home and even walking was marginal. One quick beer... yeah right!

Jesse is around 1/2 way between me and Smithy knot far from No Worries. I'm at the poor people end of the marina.... unlike some here ;) :)

Fineline, stop posting Y Boat crew photos please. Some in Ponsonby may get too excited... in that bad touching sort of a way :twisted:

Archived