Whats in a name......?

Hey there Toles

Love the logo*, glad to have helped with the name ... and yet slightly tinged with regret that someone else gets to use it. Meh, nevermind, I'm sure liberal application of Mt Gay will fix that ;)

Would be honoured to come down to the boat prior to race start to take delivery of a bottle ... and to wish you luck. let me know when and where and I'll be there with bells on (well ... maybe not with bells on but you get the idea anyway). If you have a need for some rail meat I could even come out and keep part of your toerail warm.

Have fun with the re-naming ceremony.

* as a marine biologist I feel duty bound to point out that your logo is actually an octopus rather than a squid, but hey, never let a geek get in the way of a great logo. :D

Oh Grinna - so pedantic you are lol. What sort of visual impact would a logo of a squid have? ha ha ha - the imagination is running riot here!

Looks great Toles. :D

I s'pose you'll be expecting to run rings around the competition.....

Groan!!! :clap: :clap:

Yeah, you're right Meg ... I'm pedantic as hell sometimes ... I just thought I'd mention it so y'all knew I was awake. I still like the logo as it is.

I was trying to imagine a squid with a mohawk and a safety pin thru it somewhere but I'm afraid my limited artistic talents have come up short. A punk squid (or perhaps a pink, punk squid).

Maybe something like this?

Punk Squid.jpg

and he's lost a leg. :P

I s'pose you'll be expecting to run rings around the competition.....

This is indeed a very sad place. Who would bother to count the number of legs on an octopus?? Well, me actually if I had thought of it.

And steve is just a sicko :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

* as a marine biologist I feel duty bound to point out that your logo is actually an octopus rather than a squid, but hey, never let a geek get in the way of a great logo. :D

There's always one isn't there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love your work G :thumbup:

Larf- It did have to be said... I just couldn't get a proper squid to look right for the job.

Still playing with the logo- so we will see how it goes.

Anyone else here good with graphics!?

Next thread to start on of course - is to sort out the "proper" naming ceremony process.

I don't know too many virgins- I'm told I need to have on e piss on the bow!!!

Larf- It did have to be said... I just couldn't get a proper squid to look right for the job.

Still playing with the logo- so we will see how it goes.

Anyone else here good with graphics!?

Next thread to start on of course - is to sort out the "proper" naming ceremony process.

I don't know too many virgins- I'm told I need to have on e piss on the bow!!!

I believe my son most probably is . . . and he would love to perform such a service lol. Unless it is supposed to be a female virgin of course. :lol:

Yeah, that I'm not sure of. I'd guess that Boreas is still the god of the North wind, but has scalding breath here in the southern hemisphere, while Notus is still the god of the South wind, but here has freezing breath.

The greek names for the gods of the four winds are Boreas (N), Notus(S), Eurus (E) and Zephyrus (W). Greek god of the sea is Poseidon.

The roman names for the same gods are Aquilo (N), Auster (S), Vulturnus (E) and Favonius (W). Roman name for the god of the sea is Neptune.

Take your pick ... greek or roman. Don't think it matters much.

Yeah, that I'm not sure of. I'd guess that Boreas is still the god of the North wind, but has scalding breath here in the southern hemisphere, while Notus is still the god of the South wind, but here has freezing breath.

The greek names for the gods of the four winds are Boreas (N), Notus(S), Eurus (E) and Zephyrus (W). Greek god of the sea is Poseidon.

The roman names for the same gods are Aquilo (N), Auster (S), Vulturnus (E) and Favonius (W). Roman name for the god of the sea is Neptune.

Take your pick ... greek or roman. Don't think it matters much.

Hmm - I would think that a God is defined by his attributes. So, if Boreas brings Winter, then here he comes from the Sth. Notus, being the bringer of storms in late Summer and Autumn would have to come from our North (or NE would be more accurate), and Zepherys, the bringer of light Spring and early Summer breezes - does he not come from our East? Definately not the West, as they are right strong breezes round here :wink:

Ah yes - the breeze is from the South this morning, and it has a wee nip to it.

Bugger it - go North young man - go North - one must do these ceremonies in their rightful place. Greece it is Ladies and Gentlemen. Sail the boat home!

(What am I doing here sparring with Grinna when I am supposed to be sleeping?)

Awww Megwyn .... I'm not sparring with you ... or anyone. Y'all seem to think I take this stuff seriously .... I'm just here for the rum. :)

I agree that sleeping would probably be a more productive use of your time than worrying about wind gods, their names and respective attributes though. Working would probably be a more productive use of my time I must admit. ;)

I really don't know whether the name is the most important bit or the attribute and I'm not schooled up enough to be able to advise.

Grinna - I am disappointed, I was primed for some fun :wink:

From Wikki - so it has to be true:

Boreas (Greek: Βορέας, Boréas) was the Greek god of the cold north wind and the bringer of winter. His name meant "North Wind" or "Devouring One". Boreas is depicted as being very strong, with a violent temper to match. He was frequently shown as a winged old man with shaggy hair and beard, holding a conch shell and wearing a billowing cloak.[1] Pausanias wrote that Boreas had snakes instead of feet, though in art he was usually depicted with winged human feet.

Boreas was closely associated with horses. He was said to have fathered twelve colts after taking the form of a stallion, to the mares of Erichthonius, king of Troy. These were said to be able to run across a field of grain without trampling the plants. Pliny (Natural History iv.35 and viii.67) thought that mares might stand with their hindquarters to the North Wind, and bear foals without a stallion. The Greeks believed that his home was in Thrace, and Herodotus and Pliny both describe a northern land known as Hyperborea ("Beyond the North Wind"), where people lived in complete happiness and had extraordinarily long lifespans.

Boreas was also said to have kidnapped Oreithyia, an Athenian princess, from the river Ilissus. Boreas had taken a fancy to Oreithyia, and had initially pleaded for her favours, hoping to persuade her. When this failed, he reverted to his usual temper and abducted her as she danced on the banks of the Ilissus. Boreas wrapped Oreithyia up in a cloud, raped her, and with her, Boreas fathered two sons—the Boreads, Zethes and Calais—and two daughters— Khione, goddess of snow, and Cleopatra.

Greco-Buddhist fragment of the wind god Boreas, Hadda, Afghanistan

Tower of the Winds in ancient Athens, part of the frieze depicting the Greek wind gods Boreas (north wind, on the left) and Skiron (northwesterly wind, on the right)

From then on, the Athenians saw Boreas as a relative by marriage. When Athens was threatened by Xerxes, the people prayed to Boreas, who was said to have then caused winds to sink 400 Persian ships. A similar event had occurred twelve years earlier, and Herodotus writes:

Now I cannot say if this was really why the Persians were caught at anchor by the stormwind, but the Athenians are quite positive that, just as Boreas helped them before, so Boreas was responsible for what happened on this occasion also. And when they went home they built the god a shrine by the River Illisus.

The abduction of Oreithyia was popular in Athens before and after the Persian War, and was frequently depicted on vase paintings. In these paintings, Boreas was portrayed as a bearded man in a tunic, with shaggy hair that is sometimes frosted and spiked. The abduction was also dramatized in Aeschylus's lost play Oreithyia.

Now, in the past, I have studied such things as gods, goddesses and magic, (*in my search for universal truth - as you do) and the attribute of the deity is part of who they are. As the Greeks liked to depict Boreas as "shaggy hair that is sometimes frosted and spiked" either they believed him to be incredibly vain (which is highly possible as he is a god), or he represented the cold.

I mean no disrespect to the Greek gods - heaven forbid :lol: but when in Rome, do as the Romans. What ceremony for name changing comes from the southern Hemisphere? :lol: Maybe some Polynesian legends could unearth some interesting ideas - mind you - did they name their boats?

Much food for thought. But I have digested just about my lot for now. :wink:

However, if you come back with a parry, I may be able to stir myself to respond.

*edited by M

Goodness- this ceremonial stuff could be hard work....given potential for rum and gods being involved.

I wreckon we might need to hold a fair rigorous ceremony and seek blessings- and or forgiveness from the lot.

Could take a while- so extra rum may be needed. Or champagne- depending on the ritual.

Been playing with logo ideas tonight again.....any thoughts people?

Not easy work given it's not what I do!

Any design ogres about?

post-1784-141887200367.png

Thanks wheels- could be a useful icon to use somewhere on the boat....

Archived