Anyone Seen Stolen D28 Le Cure

cjpjlang

Our lovely D28 has gone missing (presumed stolen) from Westhaven Marina

It's called Le Cure, white hull and decks with grey anti slip. Sail no 4014 also on hull sides and transom. Very distictive as has one long dark tinted perspex window (normally D28s have two windows each side)

Went missing sometime between mid-late May and Saturday 2 June

Was on on a Swing Mooring 15 outer-aisle opposite Wynyard Quarter silos and adjacent to channel to Oram, Z pier etc

Any sightings?

Cheers

LeCure in hoist.jpg

Will keep an eye out for you that sucks, never heard of that before do yachts get stolen from West Haven regulary sounds bizarre.

Not the ideal way to have to introduce yourself to crew.org.

I was only looking at her from the floating dock the other week, nice looking boat.

Fingers crossed someone here will spot her.

Lets hope its a repeat of the Herreshuffling incident and you'll find her safely moored up in the tropics. ( I mean Whangaparoa way, not the islands. .. thats where the H28 was taken from wasn't it?)

My commiserations, I know what you're going through.

I've had two (yes 2) boats stolen from me.

My 33' ketch was taken in broad daylight from the Royal Singapore YC in 1975. Stolen, we believe, to order for an Australian owner but abandoned after piling up on a sandbank near Surabaya.

The second was a 45' Piver Tri left in my care to sell as broker. She was taken from the Tradewinds Hotel in Suva by an Argentinian family of German extraction who, it seems, were fleeing Mossad agents who arrived in Suva the following day.

The Germans piled up on a reef in the Solomons, were rescued, and arrested. Boys Own Annual stuff I'll admit but nevertheless kosher.

My advice is this. If and when your pride and joy turns up somewhere you will experience

very mixed emotions. Try to subordinate those of relief and joy to a very hard-nosed attitude about the condition of the vessel.

When I heard that my ketch had been found I had just negotiated a total loss with the insurers. I should have stuck to that arrangement.

Instead, filled with enthusiasm, I traveled to Surabaya and became embroiled in bribery and hassles with officials, missing gear, dreadful damage to paintwork, a seized engine, and a thousand mile return trip to Singapore. Both underwriters and I would have been better off with a total loss.

The second was a 45' Piver Tri left in my care to sell as broker. She was taken from the Tradewinds Hotel in Suva by an Argentinian family of German extraction who, it seems, were fleeing Mossad agents who arrived in Suva the following day.

The Germans piled up on a reef in the Solomons, were rescued, and arrested. Boys Own Annual stuff I'll admit but nevertheless kosher.

That's a great story though isn't it? I mean if you're gonna suffer theft a story like that beats a couple of toss-pots taking it for a joyride down the harbour one Fri night!

You ardvice about taking a hard, detached view if/when she turns up sounds good advice.

I'm still amazed that so many boats are stolen. Especially given NZ's size and location means getting away undetected for any length of time must be virtually impossible.

I don't know - a boat of Le Cure's size could be overnighted quite some distance, rig dropped and boat slipped 1st thing the next morning, and transported with the keel either attached or removed by the afternoon to dissappear into a farmer's (by way of example - not picking on that particular trade) shed for a repaint etc.

I don't know - a boat of Le Cure's size could be overnighted quite some distance, rig dropped and boat slipped 1st thing the next morning, and transported with the keel either attached or removed by the afternoon to dissappear into a farmer's (by way of example - not picking on that particular trade) shed for a repaint etc.

But surely the effort and cost you'd need to expend to exstuinguish all traces of her previous ID would be disproportionately high compared to market value? Otherwise someone, somewhere would recognise her in such a small boating community as NZ.

Would she fit in a 40' container? She looks very tidy - might appeal to the Australian Market.

Would she fit in a 40' container? She looks very tidy - might appeal to the Australian Market.

Shipping and associated costs to AU, even if it did fit in a 40ft container, would probably be close to the total value of the boat.

I'm really quite certain Le Cure was on her mooring on May 20th, the day we did the Singlehanded race but I'm not at all certain I remember seeing it on May 25th.

As I go passed her every time I go sailing i do get used to seeing her there.

The day of the singlehanded i raced down stairs to get the boat hook and when I came back to the helm I had veered slightly toward Le Cure.

Hope she turns up soon un harmed.

I take it offenders H28 was taken from stillwater? and left at westhaven.

That particular Herreshuffling piece was removed from Sulphur Beach and turned up at Westhaven having done a few miles in between.

I hope the OP can take the time to thank the posters on here who have offered to keep an eye out and offered other support.

Thanks for all your messages of support.

Someone mentioned contact details if sighted (here's hoping!) try - 021 2600385 (Penny)

Really helpful to know it was still there on 20th -thanks for that

Interestingly, Westhaven Security told us today that a RIB was stolen from X pier and another boat on a swing mooring broken into during same period - all sounds connnected.

The question we asked when we found out was why. D28's are not really joy riding fodder nor profit making items!

Interestingly, Westhaven Security told us today that a RIB was stolen from X pier and another boat on a swing mooring broken into during same period - all sounds connnected.
And they have nothing on security cams ?????

Archived