Who lives on their boat full time ?

idlerboat

Hi Booboo and others..

I have known about Booboos history (and a few others here).

Some really wonderfull stories (that I hope get written down)...

I also know that there have been faliures in the past too ( but we seem to hear only of the big bangs not the quiet fizzles))..

BUT...I still seem to have only come up with Two ? Actual permanent live aboards at the moment.

I am begining to wonder how many there realy are?

Is this a thing of the past ? ..a dream ? ,",well back when I was a kid..." kind of thing

Is it no longer possible ?..

IB, I think you'll find that most of the people who frequent this forum are living on land but mad keen about sailing. Mostly there's a heap of racing going on and that's what interests a lot of the bods here, though many get out for extended cruising over the Christmas period as well as the long weekends ... but generally most people here aren't "cruisers" as such.

Obviously there are some exceptions and there are some with plans for the long term liveaboard lifestyle, but I guess that doesn't count.

And then you basically appear to be a bum to those in "society".

First thought is a quote from Feynman- What do I care what other people think?

But

That's an interesting aspect. I always considered living aboard an upward move. But by doing so a lot of people read it as rejecting their choices (live in a house, have a job.....) and then they actually take offence. A friend once described it as "calling someone else's baby ugly", i.e. but choosing A, I am implying that B is wrong. In this case there may even be some truth in it. But we are hugely outnumbered. This appears in negative attitudes to liveaboards by local councils, unenlightened marina operators, even other "normal" sailors.

The best thing I've found is to keep a very low profile. Keep the boat looking reasonable, and don't stay anywhere too long.

The best thing I've found is to keep a very low profile. Keep the boat looking reasonable, and don't stay anywhere too long.

That's precisely our plan .... not to avoid offending anyone, but because that's what we want to do.

Maybe not tell anyone that you are living aboard. Just going for a cruise for a while. I'm surprised at how few are into "Crew.org" and fulltime cruising.

I'm reading this thread with interest.

Four years ago my marriage went belly up. Two years later I'd sold the house and had money in the bank, not a fortune but enough. I went boat shopping, or should I say, looking?

Instead of buying a boat and sailing off into the sunset, I put my money into starting a business.

Now, two more years on, I am working 14-16 hours a day, probably making less than the interest I would have earned on my cash and sailing maybe one day a month in the summertime. Bugger!

However, I have a plan... :think:

I looked into living aboard two years ago and found a massive variation in costs; some were as little a $6 per day including shore power. Does the cost depend on the length of stay or size of boat or both? Some marinas discourage or even prohibit living aboard.

What are the rules as far as certification is concerned if you cruised around NZ waters? I'm thinking Cat 1. Is there a limit to how far from land you can sail before you need it?

Inside NZ waters you do not need Cat 1 or any Cat rating unless you are racing.

Though kitting your boat out inline with the equivilent Cat rating may not be a bad idea, lots of people with ideas on what is essential.

Most Marinas in NZ charge on length. You may get a cheaper rate paying a month or more in advance

Some marinas are more welcoming to liveaboards - West Park being one - casual rates there start at somewhere between $14-$15 per day +.

I agree that the profile of Crew.org users (based on the noisiest traffic) seems to be:

1. A large number of keen racers

2. A slightly lesser number of keen cruisers - mostly land-based but some of whom dream of sailing off

3. A mix of the two

4. Newbies keen to get into the sport

5. A very small number of genuine liveaboards

I suspect that the last group who have gone sailing are too busy enjoying real life and running their boat to spend much time on a mixed-purpose forum like this. There are other forums aimed more specifically at liveaboards where they seem to hang out e.g. discuss cruising plans, weather, technical assistance and general liveaboard gossip.

Hii, we live aboard full time. Currenlty in PNG, headed home by about christmas. Be almost 3 years since we left, and we need some more money!! yep, no job on return, I'll be looking... May work for myself again. Still own the house (unfortuately. It's rented, but for sale)..

Looking to return to Gulf Harbour probably. Wellington has too much crappy weather!

You can never afford to go. There are always things to do first. Bugger it - just go!! We did, (left the kids - flatting, 18 and 20 at the time) sold the business, and went. Not a great financial decision, but life is not about money!! GO NOW!!!

If you have young kids, take them! We took ours the first time, at 11 and 13. It was great. did the pacific that time...

Matt and Jo

Island Time

I feel a quote from Frank Wightman is in order.....

~

"The courage you need to go on living your present life of frustration

is far greater than the courage you need to make the decision to leave

it. And when you see this you will leave it. If everyone lived a

life of fulfilment there would be no insurance companies. And that

life is yours for the taking. For some incredible reason (incredible

to those who have taken the jump), man teeters and jibs at the little

hurdle which separates frustration from fulfilment. I am speaking

always of those who have the right to their freedom. There is of

course that fortunate being, perfetctly equipped for the 'herd' life,

who is truly gregarious by nature. Him I salute with respect and,

what is more, with envy, He will not want to escape. What I have said

is addressed to those who do".

~

Btw - I would suggest people that try to dissuade you from doing something that is outside the realms of what is considered "normal" are just pissed off they don't have the balls, or they have made life decisions that stop them from doing what you are wanting to do.....why should you be happy if they aren't? Ignore them, flip the bird to what someone labelled earlier as our "consumer driven crap" society and go live your dreams, and if that means living on a boat and / or sailing off into the blue - do it.

My favourite , from Thoreau

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation. From the desperate city you go into the desperate country, and have to console yourself with the bravery of minks and muskrats. A stereotyped but unconscious despair is concealed even under what are called the games and amusements of mankind. There is no play in them, for this comes after work. But it is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things.

One more

“To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea… cruising, it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about. I’ve always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can’t afford it.” What these men can’t afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine – and before we know it our lives are gone. What does a man need – really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in – and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That’s all – in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade. The years thunder by, The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed. Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?”

- Sterling Hayden

errr, slightly off topic, but what the heck....

“Safe sex, safe clothing, safe hairspray, safe ozone layer,…too late! Everything that’s been achieved in the history of mankind has been achieved by not being safe.”

– Lemmy Kilmister, Mötorhead

TOTALLY off topic. I prefer this from the great cartoonist, Michael Leunig. It needs the cartoon to go with it but the text is classic:

A BAG OF ROOSTERS. (1983)

Life is like a bag of noisy, struggling roosters.

It is entrusted to us

but is difficult to hold.

Sometimes we lose our grip

and the roosters escape

They disperse in a wild panic.....

....And fooliishly we spend the rest of our days trying to round them up.

Worse still: as we search we drag the empty sack behind us and obliterate our footsteps....

Archived