Who lives on their boat full time ?

idlerboat

Hah! Yep that's the collection it comes from. The actual cartoon itself - with a drawing for each line of text - is on the in side cover.

Fabulous stuff (sorry for contributing to the drift)

And more....from Arthur Ransomes

Houses, are but badly built boats so firmly aground that you cannot think of moving them. They are definitely inferior things, belonging to the vegetable not the animal world, rooted and stationary, incapable of happy transition. I admit, doubtfully, as exceptions, snail-shells and caravans. The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting-place.

"The years thunder by.

The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience.

Before we know it the tomb is sealed."

Quote by........someone I can't remember. Damn this getting old thing happening................

We live full time in our boat. We are currently in Pier21 and here are several other liveboards. We bought this boat 2006 and did some cruising for 4 years, about 35 000 nm. This is our 4th boat and second one we live onboard. We moved into a house here in Auckland for year and a half but we are back in the boat now. I have done some deliveries the last few years but only short trips, two times Fiji and one Noumea, nothing longer. People have put up other peoples quotes here, so I can post one too:

"All men dream, but not equally.

Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds,

wake in the day to find that it was vanity.

But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,

for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."

T.E. Lawrence

...Libertas, it was that exact quote that got me over a big hurdle when I was building my boat. I was sitting and thinking......about how hard it had been and how hard it was going to be....

I then read that ...said some very rude words with a wicked smile on my face and had another big slug of my beer... I then did a "tour of my large piece of rusty metal...and it was good...................... the rest is history....

:thumbup:

idlerboat: I just got that quote from another cruiser (SY Aliisa from Cairns, Australia, circumnavigation 2003-2010) but I liked it. I don't normally post quotes and that is probably the only one I know. I have seen the wicked smile you talk about in several other places on boatyards all over the world. Normally it is a steel yacht 25-38' and I would say 90% of them never leave the dock. And I have seen too many boats, so beautifull and ready to go but the owner/companion beeing too old or sick to leave. I agree with some comments posted here earlier, if you think about it, leave now when you still can. You will never be ready for it.

....would that boat be a 31 foot hard chine steel boat ? (Alissa)

Sailing Yacht Aliisa

Design: John Pugh "Moonwind"

32 feet / 9,75m of steel hull, put together by Bill Erich in some backyard in 1983/4

Hard chine hull, two bottom chines 4mm plate, the rest, including the decks, 3mm plate.

A 10 meter mast, one set of spreaders.

A 3 meter beam

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :!: :!:

If so...the world is a very funny place.....if it is the same boat, then only one hour ago I was talking with a friend of mine who has just bought the sister ship to her and emailed Aliisa's details as a vessel of similar stats...my friend also said he liked the owners style....

I have never heard of this vessel until tonight....

I was looking for that quote when you posted it Libertas - nice.

Out of interest, back in the early 80's we tried to calculate how many full time liveaboard cruisers there were in the world. The criteria was something like more than 12 months aboard full time and more than 1000 miles from home port. Our best estimate was 5,000. I saw a piece in a cruising rag a few years back that put the number at 30,000+ . Can't remember their criteria. Probably a few less now with the economy and some political issues globally.

Just recently, Jimmy Cornell published an estimate of the number of cruisers.

His estimate was 10,000 bluewater boats voyaging globally.

where-we-explore.jpg

....would that boat be a 31 foot hard chine steel boat ? (Alissa)

Sailing Yacht Aliisa

Design: John Pugh "Moonwind"

32 feet / 9,75m of steel hull, put together by Bill Erich in some backyard in 1983/4

Hard chine hull, two bottom chines 4mm plate, the rest, including the decks, 3mm plate.

A 10 meter mast, one set of spreaders.

A 3 meter beam

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :!: :!:

If so...the world is a very funny place.....if it is the same boat, then only one hour ago I was talking with a friend of mine who has just bought the sister ship to her and emailed Aliisa's details as a vessel of similar stats...my friend also said he liked the owners style....

I have never heard of this vessel until tonight....

Sounds like the same boat. SY Aliisa was sold recently in Cairns after the circumnavigation. I don't know the current owner.

Hi,

We've lived aboard since 1978 to the present, first on a 31' for three years, then an old-fashioned S&S 40'. We were working in the UK for 19 years while living aboard, then left in 1997 and have been cruising or based in NZ ever since. Also race the boat including Fastnet, Bermuda Race, Hobart, RNI, RNZ, etc. 170,000 miles in current boat.

The only problem is what do you do when you get old and soft?

170,000 miles in current boat.

Holy schmoly that's 2/3 of the way to the moon!

Please tell us more about your boat, pics etc?

What does a man need – really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in – and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That’s all – in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade. The years thunder by, The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed. Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?”

- Sterling Hayden

That's it - time to get rid of the internet, computer, sky tv, the tv's, the mobile phone, the phone, and all the gadgets that rely on electricity. Hell, let's just sell the house.

"Time to get back to the basics again" my heart screams at me.

If only I could convince Himself to come with me for the journey . . .

Some day I shall shake off the shackles of this existence.

To leave behind my life-mate is unthinkable at this stage.

(Just lost my companion of 16 years last Wednesday, life feels so empty without my wee shadow. She chose to die on the 6th anniversary of her best friends death. There is less and less to hold me to this shore bound existence. And if Himself would agree to come, I would be gone tomorrow - nae - this evening. Wind or no wind.)

RIP Carrie Cat

HI There,When not working in south island I live aboard my 28 ft cruising cat,spend most of my time cruising the gulf.It's great if I get sick of the scenery I just move.However I must be getting old as I am beginning to long for somewhere I can put my feet up infront of a nice warm fire.

Archived