Who lives on their boat full time ?

idlerboat

They get old. Megwyn...

cold cooper.JPG

This is my grumpy old man...a couple of days ago..notice the three crossed paws = cold..

He has been 18 for a while now.......as I type this he is fast asleep on his special towel in front of the heater...

My boat and I will be a little less when he goes to the big yacht in the sky. 24 / 7 together for (18+) years.

and heres a thought..I have spent more time with cooper and my previous dog than anything else on this planet ...longer than partner, kids,cars,boats,parents,siblings,.....

Been living on board since 2007 when we left NZ. Got to the Carribbean so far although home at the moment(hurricane season in the Carribean) trying to survive the colder temps :shifty:

There are hundreds no thousands of people living full time on boats...yachts and power. Came across the Atlantic with 10 other Kiwi boats this year. We had 50 odd boats on our daily SSB sked for the crossing. Will continue to live on board for a while when we get home. More to do in the Pacific and around NZ.

Plenty of options on Waiheke.

Just get a house boat, crappy old multihull or bilge keeler and park it on the putty like the rest of them here: http://maps.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/aucklandcouncilviewer/?extent=1781655,5925247,1782605,5925719 (hit the globe symbol to turn on aerial photography)

Same also applies to house boats here: http://maps.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/aucklandcouncilviewer/?extent=1783598,5924591,1783978,5924780

Not the best of evenings to be doing this with three wines up.

First to Grinna....Sometime at the eve when the tide is low I shall slip my mooring and sail away......with the hope never to return to be gone forever. Such is the live aboard love for me. To all those that are hesitating - you only get one shot at this life, just get out there.

Me getting old and many errors made, mortgaged to the ears, no hope in sight. Yep home, good street, good area, never ever get to follow my dreams at this rate, a true ball and chain.

Big risk went crewing, rented home, great time, few issues. Back, sold home, went crewing again. Again a few issues but had so many great times and meet wonderful people visited places I would never have done without living aboard and sailing.

Back home my own little yacht and waiting for retirement to make good use of her.

Dont wait until tomorrow, I have so little in the way of $'s. But I do have wonderful memories and many dreams to come without the ties of convention.

Yep just an old girl who followed some life long dreams.

Should have made it clear I crewed with long term live aboards.

So I also was a live aboarder, being go getter and cook. Which also included night watches and everything else as needed. No not a bed buddy.

Many years ago Sister and brother-in-law also live aboarders, all over the place, back when you knot to know a thing or more other than turning on a GPS was likely to be fatal.

I had the pleasure of joining sister and b-in-law in my teen years, but prior to this as only a six year I fell in love with the life of living aboard, via other family members.

All I can say to anyone thinking about going sailing/cruising is just go do it. You will never regret it.

Its is just the best. Smile. Smile. Smile. So wish I had gone done it many years before I did.

It's inspiring to hear from people who have lived aboard, cruised extensively and who heartily recommend the lifestyle. We're currently working towards a long-term cruising future and the only real question marks for me are our two dogs and whether I can prevent my wife from becoming bored. Challenges to overcome, but there seem to be many, many advantages and only a few potential negatives.

The freedom to quietly slip your mooring and sail off for parts unknown when and if you feel like it is a big part of the attraction, although my sig line actually comes from a poem by Elizabeth Clark Hardy about dying (called "The Unknown Shore").

It's surprising how many people there are who just can't wrap their head around the whole concept of not owning a house, not living on land, no big screen TV, no daily commute, no lawns to mow and for many the concept of being a perpetual traveller just doesn't compute at all. Even amongst those who love sailing there are plenty of people who can't imagine living on a yacht fulltime. I have no doubt that adjusting to the lifestyle will take some time ..... but I'm willing to give it 20 or 30 years to settle in and then see how I feel about it. :)

Hi Grinna.

When work required me to travel a lot it took the shine of travelling, I'm more than happy for now to put some roots down and enjoy being ashore, I get my on the water fix most days at work, and a number of nights.

No big screen TV - the unit we have is smaller than a number of the plotters I use when working.

Different people have limits on how long they can happily be a sea / cruising, my limit differed depending upon what we were doing, sadly with work I have been spoilt with lots of space, hot water and generally not being too badly affected by moderately bad weather.

Good on those that enjoy cruising, Takes all sorts :thumbup:

A few months in the islands over winter here appeals to me ,and then back here for 8 for summer cruising and family etc.

Whats your plan Grinna, do you keep a house and rent it out , or go apartment or smaller unit, or get off the property ladder all together? I don't mean to pry , I just always ask cruisers ' how they do it?'

The Americans are often interesting. One guy I met at Minerva and again Savusavu this year has a couple of rentals in Seattle. Get this... he 's refinancing for some cash to carry on with and the rate is miniscule... 3 or 4 % from memory.

Thats not the big thing though.. he has that rate fixed for 25 or 30 years! Not a fixed mortgage like we have renegotiated after 5 years or whatever.. fixed at the rate for 30 years... thats the contract.

We're looking to sell our lifestyle property as its too difficult to rent out and the value tied up in it is quite substantial. At this stage we're not sure what we're going to do but thinking along the lines of buying some kind of reasonably cheap residential property (probably not in Auckland) as a rental and potentially a "Plan B". Interestingly, I spoke to someone whose opinion was that a "Plan B" just made it easier and more attractive to give up the cruising lifestyle when things started getting a bit tough. Without a backup plan you just have to keep calm and carry on. Interesting thought.

Grinna dont worry about your wife/partner getting bored while out cruising. Successful and enjoyable Full time or part time cruising is a partnership after all so planning, shopping, boat work, navigation etc etc is a shared job and takes time. There are jobs that are more blue or more pink but for safety and harmony sake most things on board need to be able to be shared. I am not saying I want to do the oil changes but I have watched enough and passed things enough that I could do it if I wanted to. My husband now cooks a lot more than he did ashore. We talk through problems on the boat that come up and sometimes he thinks my out of the square thinking re engine/mechanical issues are plain wacky but there have been a couple of times when he has tried all his ideas and has been verbally motivated by me to try mine and bingo my idea worked. Not often but enough for me to remind him when the next issue arises.

Cruisers swap books, movies, music and of course now there e books to swap.

There are so many different types of cruisers, ones on a budget ones who dont have to worry about money but most are in the middle, have to be a bit cautious spending wise but all of us like a good time. So you always find the money to do the things you like. Some people live aboard full time spending off seasons at anchor or in a marina, there are the fly in fly out cruisers who have 6 months on board and 6 months at home. In Europe many of the Europeans go home in July /august when the Med is busy and very hot. In The Caribbean we met Americans who had been cruising Trinidad to BVIs for 10 years or more, some of those fly home in the off season and some stay on board mooching around Grenada watching the weather forecast. NZ is well placed for sailing up to the Islands for the winter every year.There are so many different aspects to living on board they all have their merits no one way is right or wrong you just have to find the way that suits you and your partner.The thing is you always meet new people and through them learn new things about the area you are cruising or going to cruise.

As far as budget goes you live the same on the boat as at home so if you dont mind shopping at Pakn Save your cruising kitty will go a bit futher but if you shop at Nosh and like your meals out then you need to make sure your kitty is a bit bigger if you want to cruise for several years.

I think some people forget that their boat is their home, they are not camping so it is nice to have comfortable beds a hot shower when needed, nice plates to eat off etc etc A boat load of the latest nav gear, engine dodas etc will not keep most females on board if there are no home comforts and the odd luxury that floats her boat. :thumbup:

just follow your dreams and unless you really want to be a single hander make sure the dreams are shared.

Your right Grinna... sell your home and go rental, to keep pace with the market. Three or so grand a year will store all your stuff in a good safe storage unit. Sell, purchase the rental, pack up and go. I only experienced a fraction, but that fraction so so much more than many get to do. For me come retirement plan is again to long term cruise, likely keeping local.

Hi all,

Its great to read this post as it runs. I started it as a bit of a poke in the ribs of long term live aboards....there are a few of us out there...

'Just do it" I have heard that over and over again :for years. (and I add my own sentiment to that).

I have heard directly, so many stories of I wish I had....and only a couple of I wish I had not.

I dont want to pretend that long term live aboard is like a land house on water....its not ! But for those who embrace the differances it is a whole lot better.

Jean...wise words.

I would add that the use of the boats electronic gear (especialy navigation) does not require any boy bits !!!

Blokes who dont encourage all crew to be equaly as competent with all the gear are ...to be blunt....dickheads !

Try this on....you are wrestling with a stuck furler in rising winds with a set of VERY BIG nav lights heading towards you.....you yell down the companion way..........."whats that ship doing" ?...

A calm reply..."its Ok , I have had it logged on MARPA on the radar for 20 mins now and its already passed our CPA ..(closest point of aproach)....relax alls clear...and the storn cell is heading off at 45 degress......

And you (the bloke) reply...few..I was stressing there...I have three loaves of bread in the oven.....

Me thinks its going to be a prety good night for our mythical cruisers. You can well imagine the other side of the story.

Loving this thread. Really gets the imagination going.

I would love to cruise nz in the summer and head up the the islands for winter. I think I could do that for 10+ years :D

The Mrs is REALLY keen :thumbup: but we have a 4year old dog that we cannot leave behind.

Has anyone cruised with a dog? Cruising NZ will be fine but what are the risks / disadvantages cruising the islands? Has anyone done it or are there to many hassles and red tape?

Hi Royale 780,

scroll back a few posts and you will see some pics of this boats sea dog. He is very old now and has sailed for his whole life. Its quite possible but can create some limitations.

National parks usualy wont allow them along with some marinas.

The practical side is up to the training, Cooper dosnt know any differant. He uses the foredeck as his dunny....eats and suns himself on the forwards coach roof, and knows exactly what he wants and when.

He will bark to alert me of an impending need even in a heavy sea with the boat rolling. He then goes out the back hatch and will do his stuff while me and my safety harness hang on to him.

He just knows that sometimes dignity has to take second place.

He sleeps most of the time now and lives on his special towels in front of the heater on the saloon floor.

Having a wife that's keen is HUGE!!!!!

Angela likes the travel but wouldn't be doing it on a boat if it weren't for me, so I try to do everything i can to make it enjoyable for her (like a 500 mile detour to avoid going upwind).

She likes opera and musical theatre type stuff and I go along and don't really mind most of the time (but I draw the line at ballet). On the way home tonight from a concert she was mentioning some shows she like to see at venues she'd like to visit, I suggested putting an itinerary together for cruising that would take in as many as possible and that idea is really getting some traction (as long as we start with carnival in Rio).

Next time I have a few hours to spare I'm going to look more closely at it.

FOund this this morning on Lat 38:

$2k+Used Engine=Cruising Boat

July 20, 2012 – San Diego

(Click on the photo to enlarge it.)

"I'm almost free," exults Justin Jenkins on the bow of Ichiban. It may be incongruous to have a boat with a Japanese name and Jamaican colors for trim, but why not be different? Photo Latitude / Richard

© 2012 Latitude 38 Publishing, LLC

It's tough being young these days. Jobs are hard to find. Good paying jobs are as rare as altruistic politicians. The cost of education and housing have gone through the roof. As if that wasn't enough good news, the younger generations are faced with the happy prospect of having to spend their entire lives working to pay off the various government Ponzi schemes created by the stupidity and profligacy of previous generations. Who can blame younger folks if they want to bail?

And bailing by sailing south to Mexico and perhaps beyond is exactly what 30-year-old Justin Jenkins of San Diego is planning to do this November with his girlfriend, Anna Wiley, 30. We met Justin at Driscoll's Boatyard in San Diego, where he was enthusiastically working on Ichiban, his 1972 Columbia 34 MK II, surely the 34-ft production boat with the most headroom ever.

Whether they are cognizant of it or not, younger folks such as Justin and Anna seem to intuit that they have one big advantage over older generations — their youth. So while lots of folks over 40 think they can't afford to go cruising because boats with all the comforts and luxuries they want cost so much, younger folks, who have had to accept the fact they can't be so picky and won't be able to afford as many creature comforts, know different. They realize that by being frugal, cruising south of the border can be dirt cheap. As in being able to live like kings and queens for what would be below the poverty level here in the States.

Having previously owned a Cal 28 that he "sailed all over hell," Justin paid all of $2,000 for his Columbia 34. As you might imagine, the boat wasn't in perfect shape, but elbow grease cured a lot of it. She wasn't loaded with sails, either, but when a Hunter 35 owner decided to replace his sails, Justin offered him $100 for his old full-battened main. The man laughed the offer off. But he was back an hour later, not only agreeing to it, but happy to throw in a headsail for another $100.

Justin, green-rimmed sunglasses and all, ready to check out the rest of the world.

Photo Latitude / Richard

© 2012 Latitude 38 Publishing, LLC

Jenkins' biggest problem and expense has been an engine for Ichiban, which didn't have one. He initially outfitted the boat with a transom-mounted outboard bracket and an 8-hp Suzuki. "While I did use it to motor my boat all the way to Dana Point, it doesn't really work. The problem is that, when there is a wake or something, the engine gets swamps and the show is over. So while the outboard is a Plan B for calm conditions or in an emergency, I had to put in a real engine."

Or maybe he just hasn't read the books by the Pardeys yet.

After a lot of work, Jenkins ended up installing an Atomic 4 gas engine with a V-drive. A gas engine is not the perfect engine for a cruising boat, but unlike politicians willing to borrow 40 cents for every dollar they spend, Jenkins understands that he has to live within his budget.

We think Justin and Anna will do well. In part, because they're smart. For example, Justin loves to surf and will be taking several boards with him. When we asked if Anna likes to surf, Justin said, "She wants to learn from another girl, she doesn't want me to teach her." See, we told you they are smart.

Anyway, we wish Justin and Anna — and all younger cruising folks heading out this year — the best of luck on their voyages. We think you're going to have a great time, and we know that when you come back, you're going to be both much smarter and much wiser.

- latitude / richard

yep sorry if I gave the wrong impression..coastal cruising of Oz and NZ with a dog is possible (and has limitations)

stepping out of coastal waters and back is not worth it...either financily or for your dog. The customs regime is very strict (and I think for good reason)...but I dont want my old fella to spend that amount of time in a quarantine cage on my return. SO...if I go "offshore" sadly he stays behind.

Archived