at last

finally after months of looking i found and brought my first yacht, tracker 7.7, 10hp diesel :clap:

still learning to sail, should be easier now :crazy

post-10785-141887161237.jpgpost-10785-141887161238.jpgpost-10785-14188716124.jpg

still learning to sail, should be easier now

Never mind learning to sail, you've got a crew song to get right. Sure the basic background chant is pretty straightforward but you need someone who can hold those high notes without it all coming unglued.

Of course with a couple of rums on board we are all excellent singers. Maybe you need a field trip to a karaoke bar or two...

That_song.jpg

Yeah well, I'd think making sure you don't scare the crap out of 'the wife and kids' on your first few trips out will be the difference between a long and satisfying yachting/ cruising lifestyle, and not.

Congratulations and remember the first 3 rules of boating.

don't yell at your wife

don't yell at your wife

and don't yell at your wife.

:D

Guest Dry Reach
just keep the kids and wife away :wink:

Boo hiss DR!!! You just went waaaay down in my estimation! :thumbdown:

Keep the kids and wife away...From the painting, maintenace, sanding, cleaning... they will soon be put off!

Get in context BBBB, the lead up post were about cost and hard work!

presumption :roll: my dear BBBBB :wink:

Yeah well, I'd think making sure you don't scare the crap out of 'the wife and kids' on your first few trips out will be the difference between a long and satisfying yachting/ cruising lifestyle, and not.

don't yell at your wife

don't yell at your wife

The best yachting advice you will ever get!!!

I OBJECT!!!

I bought my first boat a year ago and have spent the last year doing not much else but sanding, painting, maintenence, etc - with great success, little yelling, and sustained love for my boat AND sailing.

The one thing that may very well have put me off sailing for good (had I not been such a pig-headed feminist) was the unmitigated sexism that seems to abound around yacht clubs and the racing scene, particularly, dare I say it, in Auckland.

Having been told one too many times to 'sit behind me dear, so you don't get in the way' or 'don't go down there love, we don't want you getting sea sick now do we?' I decided to hell with you lot and bought my own sodding boat.

So perhaps, if you want to enjoy a successful sailing partnership with your life partner, maybe giving her the benefit of the doubt and not treating her with the same contempt you would bestow on a five-year-old might help.

So there. :P

Guest Dry Reach

don't yell at your wife

don't yell at your wife

Oh "shock horror" that is so sexist!... you should never hide anything from you love interest. Marrige is about sharing everthing!

Tell your wife everthing. Tell her about the maintenace costs, new equipment costs etc... and make sure she pays (oops i mean shares)for half of it! :lol:

Guest Dry Reach
I OBJECT!!!

I bought my first boat a year ago and have spent the last year doing not much else but sanding, painting, maintenence, etc - with great success, little yelling, and sustained love for my boat AND sailing.

The one thing that may very well have put me off sailing for good (had I not been such a pig-headed feminist) was the unmitigated sexism that seems to abound around yacht clubs and the racing scene, particularly, dare I say it, in Auckland.

Having been told one too many times to 'sit behind me dear, so you don't get in the way' or 'don't go down there love, we don't want you getting sea sick now do we?' I decided to hell with you lot and bought my own sodding boat.

So perhaps, if you want to enjoy a successful sailing partnership with your life partner, maybe giving her the benefit of the doubt and not treating her with the same contempt you would bestow on a five-year-old might help.

Order ... order!... Objection over turned!... now back to the kitchen! :wink: :lol:

Actually on a more serious note are you a pom? just with that word "Sodding" you used,... it reminds me of what all the pom chicks say... about 15 years ago!

Guest Dry Reach
I OBJECT!!!

Hey BB that last line could refer to you and your male "life Partner". Do you give him the benefit of the doubt and let him help with the maintenace...?

I do agree with you regarding the Arrogance of some "boating people" when it comes to females in their "percieved" Male Domain.

However the same applies when Men enter into Female "historicallly Dominated" domains to!

Men are protective of there "man Zones" as they are places where we get away from the woman for thinking time etc... (Cave) IE - workshops, sports club bars,hard stands, ...

It is actually quite hard to find these places in our "equal Rights" "save the gay maori whales" society these days. so some men protect what they have with complete arrogance and rudeness.

Some woman do the same too!

Woman are the same with their domains... like "chicks lunches, girl guides. Beautician/ health spa's...

don't yell at your wife

don't yell at your wife

Oh "shock horror" that is so sexist!... you should never hide anything from you love interest. Marrige is about sharing everthing!

Tell your wife everthing. Tell her about the maintenace costs, new equipment costs etc... and make sure she pays (oops i mean shares)for half of it! :lol:

I'm not sure where you get sexist out of that DR.

There's a loose generalisation in that I'm assuming that most boats are bought by the male of the house and I think thats true.One of my close friends is the opposite of that and she drives the boating and the boat for that matter...an exception to the rule and not common to my knowledge.

Over the years I've seen several dreams destroyed on both sides of a boating marriage leading to wistful blokes making lots of singlehanded trips and sometimes even boats being sold . I might enjoy a bit of single handed stuff meself sometimes but in general....Not good... it kinda spoils the chrissy cruise.

I'm a lucky bastard in one respect anyway.. my wife and family are lined up at the door on friday nights come summer. That comes after the ' can we go sailing this weekend earlier in the week.

I OBJECT!!!

Well said, we've all been guilty. It's the old story in yachting, watch what you say as you never know who you're talking to. There are plenty of very experienced women in yachting and it can be an embarrassing mistake to assume they're all clueless. The funniest thing is when some rum filled nobody mouths off about his own prowess to a very quiet national or even olympic champ, then finds out later who was present.

When I was teaching opti kids, a future champ turned up. Little slip of a girl who, within a couple of seasons, was a better tactician and helmsman than I'll ever be. By age 12 she was regularly thrashing Jo Aleh. Music, dancing, windsurfing etc etc got in the way and I lost my Olympic champion. I was fully prepared to take full credit for the gold medal. :) Did manage to get her to helm for me at a Jollyboat Nationals at age 15 and we did very well. Go the sheilas!

DR, you run your life how you like, but I gotta say that I actually enjoy sharing the whole boating experience with my wife. My wife happens to be my best mate and its kinda nice to be able to not only share the load, but share time together on the boat ... and that goes for maintenance work as well as sailing.

Call me a bit strange, but I don't think you actually have to have testicles to be able to work a piece of sandpaper.

Let's stir the pot

Racers are more sexist than cruisers.

Most cruising (particularly the long distance types) is done by couples or families, it's on the race boats/in the YC's you get the rugby club mentality.

OK I'll go hide now.

Archived