One Ton Cup revisited

tuffyluffy

The ex-owner (from Germany) thinks Heatwave succumbed to fire, after a long racing career in the Med. That photo above is from about 2003, another one attached. The name lives on through his next yacht, a JV One Tonner (ex-Saudade)

It's been great to hear about the possible One Ton revival event - have added the press release to my blog (address posted above) and couldn't help embellishing it with some photos :-) Helping Alan with some leads on actually tracking down the One Ton Cup - such a great trophy and it would be pretty cool to have it back for this series. Hope to get a spot on one of the boats too - surely there will be some room for those of us that were too young the first time round! And especially since the long offshore race has been reduced from 300+ miles to a more civilised 100 miles!

Thinking that there are a few interesting challenges with the initial proposed format. I wonder how many owners would want to get an IRC rating for it (not sure how expensive/involved this is? Jono?). And how many boats would make the trip downunder - hopefully a lot more than in 1977! And I'm not too sure about the division bands - the 30.5ft One Ton rating only applied from 1983 (e.g. Farr 40), so they're all 27.5ft (e.g. Cavalier 36s, Farr 1104s) up until that time. I think maybe it would be better set up in three groups - the heavier displacement types (1967-1974), transition era 1975-82, and the 30.5ft era from 1983 onwards. I guess once they have an idea of potential entries they can play around with the divisions a bit.

A lot of our top One Tonners took one way trips to the offshore regattas, but some of the local boats I could imagine could be involved include Rainbow II (one that came back!), Wai Aniwa, Pathfinder, Quicksilver, Tempo, the Cav 36s, 1104s and another notable returnee Pacific Sundance. There is a late 80s yellow Davidson 40 lurking about somewhere too. And of course the Townson 32s - perhaps Wandering Star could pick up where Moonlight left off back in 1971.

Heatwave 2003.jpg

There are several eras to consider.

RORC IOR transition

Rainbow is the most obvious, but Conchord, possibly Skinflint both spring to mind.

Then the large early IOR Waianawa, Young Nick, Pathfinder vintage. The Townson 32 comes in here as well.

Then the Cav 36 vintage. There are a couple of C&C 36/38s around too.

Then the Farr 1104 and Lidgard Result /Domino -Note Mardi Gras is getting very cheap.

I'm not aware of any of the Red Lion vintage in NZ. There's possibly 1 ex centreboarder but I don't know her history. I've seen her on the water in cruise mode, and then on TM in the past. There were some very cheap ones in Oz in recent past. Granny Apple, Sminoffagen

Then the John Bennett Tamaki 1104s.

Then the first of the IOR 1 tonners.

Davidson - Archon, Branch Practise

Farr - Pacific Sundance

Davidson - the yellow ex Holidaymakers. What is she called now?

I know I missed a few but this is off the top of my head.

Re handicaps. Depends if you want a festival for giggles or a regatta. In Europe IRC is very well sorted for the ex IOR boats in conversion to one rating factor. We also have boats with furlers, interiors etc. And we should remember that part of the Rainbow legend is her win under an international rating rule - the first time it was achieved.

I'm sure YNZ would give a healthy discount with this much notice on new certs.....

Outrage , the steel one tonner is still around somewhere. Whangarei perhaps. If they have some latitude on size I can imagine a whole lot of earllier RORC boats .. Satanita, Jupiter, Reverie( ex one of the Cotton Blossoms). Then there's boats like Quicksilver and Tempo.

My boat doesn't fit but it is 1975. I'll sit on the boundary wearing bellbottoms and playing Tom Jones. Anyone know where you can buy stick on sideburns?

Guest Saturday Night Special

The townson 32s don't fit ,Moonlight did but was fiddled with to rate the Twighlight,s are slightly different in shape and there was a Bastardised Saraband which was got to Rate as well.but the standard boats don't fit like the Late model Demon 10,s Impact and Imp were the only 2 that did Is that right Fossil?

The keel nearly fell off Chantel on her way home from the Sydney Hobart in 72 keel bolts threaded into lead with no nuts ,I remember her new at Christmas 71 (I was 5 yr's old )being motored round on parade By Noddy and Pandy Marshall as a launch with no mast

The keel nearly fell off Chantel on her way home from the Sydney Hobart in 72 keel bolts threaded into lead with no nuts ,I remember her new at Christmas 71 (I was 5 yr's old )being motored round on parade By Noddy and Pandy Marshall as a launch with no mast

Nothing like that happened but 72 dozen Cascades where knocked off.

Funny story about Brer Fox when I was a young lad sitting with my dad and my uncle when Impact had been in the water for a small amount of time a couple of weeks I think they burnt Brer Fox off with Impact in some trial testing , the Marshall brother came back down The harbour for another beat uphill against Impact, which was the Miller boats best point of sail and said Hang on Geoff can we put on our Racing main on(they did not expect the little Lidgard boat to be competitive)same thing happened again,I remember The laughter about it on Monday morning on the building site . Impact only had a very limited sail wardrobe unlike the miller boat ,and was a much smaller boat, The Day of reconing had arrived for the big heavy clunckers ,Unfortunately for The Roper family The Farr era arrived not long after with Prospect of Ponsonby and it was game set and Match to Farr .

So now I have a year to pull all the cruising crap of Hot Shot and get her back into racing mode.

It's got to happen that's what Farr 1104s were built for.

We've got to get the boat ready for a trip up the coast, find somewhere to berth it, storage unit for the coastal gear then learn the harbour!

Is the rating system going to be irc?

Archived