71 replies to this topic

#11 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:19 AM

That sounds interesting, can we hear a little bit more?

#12 rossd

rossd

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationRaglan NZ

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:35 PM

I have a DD kauri Nova 28  bilge keeler, my first and only yacht, had for must be 8 years now. Still learning, have a spinnaker thats never flown and I wouldnt know how to, maybe this summer. There was a site with a lot of information called "Alderwicks web" but cannot find it now, out of Wellington and a lot of stories and infomation on trips to the Sounds etc. Someone might be able to find it. Yacht called SV "Smile" also had a list of all the other Nova 28s he knew of.  

#13 w44vi

w44vi

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:17 AM

I think Alderwicks page will have gone, They have been though some big life changes lately 

#14 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:37 AM

Yes I noticed Alderwicks page has disappeared, which is a shame as this site was the only source of information about Nova 28 apart from sailboat data which is very brief anyway. 

Hi rossd, don't worry about to try the spinnaker the rig is strong enough for errors... I can tell you.

We tried already a few times and if we not looking the 10 minutes recovery time, which was spectacular indeed, we had a nice 5 minutes run before. In the other hand that specific time we gained only one extra knot (7.5 knts max) of speed against the large genoa, we had around 15knts of wind that day. So that was a success, in terms of nobody got hurt and we did not break anything. Also lots of space for improvement.  

#15 waikiore

waikiore

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:28 PM

Sea Legs of the Milford Cruising Club, just finished the last two coastals, north shore boatbuilder Neil Beken has the glass moulds as far as Im aware. A good safe family cruising yacht. 

#16 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:44 PM

By the chance do you know how should I contact with Neil, I was searching for a while last year but no luck. He may have some record about boats what he built or hulls what he sold with no finish. 

#17 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:32 PM

I'm not a Nova 28 owner but am currently the owner of another Alan Wright design a Lotus 9.2 and hopefully soon to be owner of an Oceans 12. I'd be keen to hear more about the Nova 28.

Hi Robin, seems to be you are on a same track as myself, Only difference is you doing lot faster. Good on you.

I think you already experienced how great could be an Alan Wright boat, so I only could repeat that. Definitely not the fastest especially the Nova, but I think it is a worthwhile compromise. I really like the masthead sloop as they have pretty impressive appearance. So I hope you will get your Oceans 12 soon and you could start to make you improvements on it and on your technique as well.

At this point I will keep Waimanu for a five six years at least than I'll see.

#18 robinm

robinm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:34 PM

Nagy, thanks for the reply. We finally went unconditional today on the Oceans 12! Our track probably does seem fast, but the dream has been a long time coming and there will be a lot more work to do to get her up to Cat 1.

Sojournie, our Lotus, has been fantastic for us, she's clearly had some unknown history too, but we've done several coastal passages in areas between Nelson and Wellington and has given the family great confidence to go bigger and further, being such a capable boat. The wide beam has given us lots of room for carting all the gear we need for a 2 week holiday with all the toys and still room to be comfortable. We've not really had that much of a problem in light winds.

Speed on boats always comes up in discussion, and I have been often reminded that the Lotus 9.2 is considered slow, but 7.8kn around Wellington harbour always felt fast enough for me. The currents in Cook Strait help with the speed, we hit 12kn over the ground and 11.5 sustained for about 45 mins on the last crossing, felt like it too! Your Nova is probably fast enough for you and would be for me too.

Running out of time is something that does worry us, we really want to head off before our daughter is too much of a teenager to join us. Thanks for the good wishes, we are all excited to be at the start of the adventure.

I often see the Nova 28 Gypsy Girl sitting at Seaview and wonder why she's been on the market so long, seems like a great boat... from the outside at least. The owner has a huge Beneteau called Millenium Spirit now and is trying to sell Gypsy Girl, he's probably got some good stories for you.

#19 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:55 AM

Congratulation. It just getting exciting from now. I guess we will hear details later on.

I was looking at Gypsy Girl from the distance and she was on my list (unfortunately that time was only one boat in Welli  so the trip there was pushed away in obvious reason). I think the price for her is quite reasonable and shame how difficult to sell. She is well equipped boat and looks in better nick as Waimanu, probably the engine is the weakest point but I'm possibly wrong.

Speed... hmmm if you did that speed upwind I'm just jealous. I need about 20knts of wind to reach 6 knts of boat speed i think the new sails would help a bit (new genoa is on the list for this Christmas, I try to find sailmaker to make a traditional crousing sail) The main is lot better condition so that will be fine for the next few season.

#20 L00seM00se

L00seM00se

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationLeeston

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:55 AM

Hi Nagy, I'm enjoying your videos on YouTube. The boat seems to handle the Lyttelton winds well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users