55 replies to this topic

#1 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:41 AM

As the topic title, I attempted to build a (good looking) hard dodger to my Nova 28. Main goal to get shelter from the elements on the go, or on anchor. Keep the companionway dry, accommodate some built in equipment and provide some joy to eyes is secondary, but important too.

That's what I ended up yesterday when I trimmed the edges and made the rough positioning before painting and installing other features like built in lighting and GPS aerial, pre wiring for the solar panel....

Any professional opinion out there? (I can take criticisms, just please be gentle). 

Attached Files

#2 lawless auckland

lawless auckland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:56 AM

It looks good , maybe to high to sheet the main on going to windward as the main normally does angle down a bit when sheeted on

#3 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:10 AM

Good effort. I saw the pics that show the work that went into it.

Can it be dropped another 2-3"? Would give your boom more room and I think it would look better as well. Just my thoughts...

#4 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:10 AM

Looks very practical. Looks a little higher than a soft dodger would be, which I think makes it look high.

Not sure it provides joy to my eyes, but not a bad effort. I've seen plenty worse. Nice job

#5 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:13 AM

On 2nd thoughts I think I like the height.. just not sure you have enough room to crank the mainsheet on?

#6 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,027 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:22 AM

If you still have time to make changes csn you bring the aft edge furthr back along the coaming to provide more shelter to someone stiing with their back to the bulkhead? Difficult on many boats due to winch placement. Otherwise nice job.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#7 vic008

vic008

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationChristchurch

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:42 AM

Hi, spoke to you yesterday. Looking from afar, methinks too, too, high

#8 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:03 AM

Thanks guys you to confirming my feelings. Down and move it aft... I can easily lower it by 50 mm (2") but only before fiberglass it to the boat as the front cross member alone, under the middle window would be too weak. I was thinking to lower it further to cut the mentioned part and move it up, reduce the size of the middle window, but that is quite a bit of work, but still can be done in last minute... To moving aft is quite possible as well and I will consider it but I have to change the main sheet position on the boom. The boom position is set to the lowest possible position what I measured earlier, so the boom will not come lower unless something is broken... With reefing is even better as the reefs just move the boom higher. Another thing, the boom cover will be replaced for a "stack-pack" so it will keep the sail away when not in use. 

Unfortunately the "joy to the eyes" part, hmm the title says everything.

#9 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

Hi, spoke to you yesterday. Looking from afar, methinks too, too, high

Hi, yes I walked around, tried to judge from the distance... but you know cutting off in any stage is lot easier than adding to it... I planed to haul out early next month to install it. You are welcome to come along.

Edited by nagy592, 17 August 2017 - 11:07 AM.

#10 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,687 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:34 AM

I'm trying to do similar but the heigh angle is proving a bugger when balancing against the visuals. I think it will always be a compromise especially on shorter boats like ours.

I agree with BP and would look at trying to get the back down to say the corner where the teak just forward of the winch stops. That may also help visually shorten the whole thing.

Impressed with the shelter you'll have though, very nice,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users