12 replies to this topic

#1 muzled

muzled

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:00 PM

Just stumbled across this website, bloody brilliant.

Flick between LINZ charts, Navionics Sonar, Navionics nav, Satellite, Street, the whole shebang.

And uses location services so GPS enabled.

Chapeau whoever did that!

#2 splat

splat

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:19 PM

Very cool

#3 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:54 PM

Oh charts, yeah that works as well.

I saw wetmaps and thought it was a menu for what is available later in the evening up K Rd way :wtf:

#4 tuffyluffy

tuffyluffy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:11 AM

Good app!

Is there anything similar using Council/LINZ data with property boundaries?

I'd like to wander over a 2 acre, hilly bush block with my smart phone and see where the boundary lines are

#5 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:41 AM

^ Funny, I was just doing that a couple of days ago. Just enable location , use google maps and toggle between default and Google earth, gets you close enough to find the pegs, depending on the satellites.

#6 tuffyluffy

tuffyluffy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:47 PM

^ Funny, I was just doing that a couple of days ago. Just enable location , use google maps and toggle between default and Google earth, gets you close enough to find the pegs, depending on the satellites.

A huh, I'm assuming you used the council website and put in the GPS co-ordinates for the pegs on your device?

My problem is that the pegs are 100m+ apart on a hilly, bushclad site, with no line of site and i want to walk the boundary line. Its not easy and i assumed there would be an app for it, but no luck finding one yet!

#7 Kevin McCready

Kevin McCready

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:58 PM

The "app" for that was invented more than 2000 years ago by Han Dynasty Chinese. It's called a compass. Set the bearing you want and walk the bearing, keeping the needle on your bearing. You can get an electronic gps app to do the same. Good luck.

#8 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:13 PM

A huh, I'm assuming you used the council website and put in the GPS co-ordinates for the pegs on your device?

My problem is that the pegs are 100m+ apart on a hilly, bushclad site, with no line of site and i want to walk the boundary line. Its not easy and i assumed there would be an app for it, but no luck finding one yet!

No , if you zoom in on maps it shows the boundary lines. I also used paper with measurements and bearings from our land title stuff to find one and get a parameter for error in the GPS position.

#9 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:50 AM

I used the "draw-dimension" off a power pole base and another fixed point and measured off, scribing arcs.

Relocated the old pegs on a job I'm on. No good for my 2.5acre native block tho. 

Not that there is any reason to, as its zoned untouchable.

I'm back in design mode (reluctantly) as client/friend has had  a hash made of his secondary dwelling  consent.

Any one recommend a surveyor that can cert footprint? Mines retired.

Wetmaps-- very useful, thanks!

#10 tuffyluffy

tuffyluffy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:33 AM

No , if you zoom in on maps it shows the boundary lines. I also used paper with measurements and bearings from our land title stuff to find one and get a parameter for error in the GPS position.

Ahh, got it thx! The boundary lines are only visible on certain base maps that I hadn't explored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users