18 replies to this topic

#11 Cazzate

Cazzate

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:56 PM

Pourable silicon as in mould making stuff?
What about foaming epoxy?

Yep mold making stuff , it’s a bit easier to get the level correct with the drain hole

#12 Sail Rock

Sail Rock

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 22 August 2019 - 02:22 PM

If using pourable silicone, first check there are no old rivet holes or other gaps in the mast wiring conduit that the silicone can flow into. Otherwise you’ll fill up the conduit and not be able to replace or draw new wires through it!

#13 ballystick

ballystick

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:16 PM

Who stocks pourable silicone? I haven't been able to find anything that will pour and self-level except a Sika product for teak decks that has to be bought in bulk and has a short shelf life!

Edited by ballystick, 22 August 2019 - 03:18 PM.

We cannot direct the wind but we CAN adjust our sails

#14 Sail Rock

Sail Rock

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:45 PM

I purchased some tubes from a Sika agent in East Tamaki a few years ago. It’s quite expensive. Google the Sika catalogue to find the specific product.

#15 ballystick

ballystick

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:47 PM

I know what that is, I was looking for an alternative

We cannot direct the wind but we CAN adjust our sails

#16 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,870 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:07 PM

try https://www.sculptur...ble-starter-kit

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#17 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:40 PM

When I did a mast on a previous boat I did the balloon trick, poured a thin epoxy slurry (it levels out the balloon top) then teak deck sika product. Epoxy would have done it except that heat/cooling cycles could have eventually broken the seal hence the teak deck stuff, (which was eyewateringly expensive) 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#18 Chewing Gum

Chewing Gum

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:35 PM

I did as suggested by Steve Ashley and removed a halyard sheave box near deck level. If you don't have a hole there I imagine cutting one around 50-60-70mm dia should be ok - check with a mast fabricator

Next shaped some flexible foam to approx mast shape and pushed it in through the hole and down say 15mm below sheave hole.

(Flexible foam - might have used the stuff Burnsco sell for seating - not sure.)

Then spread flexible sealant from Sika on top of foam and left to set. This was a few years back so can't remember the name of the sealant but it was not silicone. As Steve mentioned it was thicker than what Sika used to produce so dificult to push around back of cable tube so we still had a slight leak.

Next mod was put in a layer of slightly thickened epoxy on top. Voila no leaks and been there at least 5 years.

PK

#19 Cazzate

Cazzate

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:40 PM

The Fibreglass shop stocks several different brands at varying prices . If you do an NZ specific search online for “liquid silicone “ there are quite a few suppliers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users