Jump to content

Berend de Boer

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  1. NZ Herald says the fourth winch was a body recovery, so had already died by that stage.
  2. Sorry to revive this thread, but I thought it would be helpful to make thread complete, so I'm adding this story in the guy's own words.
  3. What does that mean? I thought balsa was only used for the deck?
  4. What do you guys know about the Easterly 30 Keeler? Goal is coastal cruising, i.e. Hauraki gulf, sail to Bay of Islands and further up, longer term goal sailing around NZ. I was looking at H28, but the Easterly 30 definitely has more room, a lot wider. I'm interested in how it sails. What would be typical speeds if trimmed well and with favourable winds?
  5. As I understand it the inspector is pretty flexible as long as he can see you have thought through the issue, and you can explain your alternative plan. I.e. you need to address the topic, not do it exactly as it is written. But let us now.
  6. Can't answer that in general. But we were there in September during the Australian school holiday, and we mostly anchored as we prefer it a bit away from the crowds. Probably most moorings were taken during that time I would say. Definitely not crowded according to my definition, but it's not lonely.
  7. I'm pretty sure all boats come with the cruising Whitsundays cruising guide, so you get all the spots. Easy anchoring, lots of mooring options too.
  8. I had a great time there. On a 32 foot. Did it 5 days, as that was all I had at that time, but should have done more like 10 days.
  9. I support extending the wharf. By digging a canal on the shore.
  10. She said she was able to repair the second watermaker with parts salvaged from their first. She also claims to have restored her boat. So certainly would indicate technical abilities. On the other hand, how common is it to have two watermakers? It seems these things are pretty expensive, so is having two common?
  11. Here link to interview with a completely different story than you have seen so far: Forget everything you have read on the fake news sites. In this interview they appear to be knowledgeable. It appears they had a force 11 storm on day 1 (hmm), then did fine for a long time, their spreader broke, but they arrived still fine in Kiribati. The boat was too big fit into the lagoon there they claim, so they decided to continue to the Cook Islands. Arriving in that area, and due to counter currents they decided to go North. That was May 25. They lost the ability to start the motor due to flooding of the boat caused by rain. Then they arrived in the "Devil's Triangle." According to them this was Tiger Shark territory. They had two water makers, the first one failed. Other's pointed out they had a wind turbine and solar panels, so that seems to have provided the power for the water maker. Also the lady on the left claims she repaired this boat for 2.5 years before they set off for a three month cruise in the South Pacific.
  12. In the mean time every fake news newspaper has printed this story and received the click bait. Job done!
  13. And Krakatoa II did too I think, just got dropped off by a drone or something
  14. It feels I just got home, and these guys are already at Cape Brett!
  15. Auckland's mayors have been a bit too busy to care about mundate things like stormwater control (and roads, and house prices, and ...)
  • Create New...