yacht in big trouble off Whangarei

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Coastguard attempted FOUR rescues. Including from helicopter. I'm fairly sure they would have 'just towed the boat in' if they could have. It certainly wasn't a case of not thinking of it...

Jetski registration came about because they are essentially unidentifiable and there are now lots of the little suckers. We all have sail numbers or names on the side.    I learnt not to swim anywhe

the fact that cg couldn't get out to them says a lot about the conditions, i'd say.

Posted Images

We have registration for jetskis,why?? it is only time before we will all need a licence/registration. Act leader David Seymour called us all rich pricks in a public meeting about 2yrs ago,

This incident will no doubt be followed up by MNZ and depending on their findings I will would give 5yrs before something is introduced,look at restrictions in place now,cannot take a dump in a bay without a holding tank and that is only the start,give it 5yrs you wont be able to discharge it,it will have to be pumped ashore.

Look at NRC and Marlborough with their hull clean restriction,wont belong before it is enforced through out NZ.

look at restrictions in place now,cannot take a dump in a bay without a holding tank and that is only the start,give it 5yrs you wont be able to discharge it,it will have to be pumped ashore.

Funny, if you actually choose to not take a dump in said bay where I was going for a nice swim, we probably wouldn't need the damn rules around not dumping in bays. A little bit of curtesy and responsibility would go a long way to avoid the need for rules, licencing and regulation.

I think the reason jet skis now have compulsory registration is the high number of complete fuckwits that drive them with no respect or courtesy for other water users. (not all jet ski users, I have seen some really considerate users, many more than the wankers recently, since registration was introduced)

You can cure ugly but you can't cure dumb.

Fizz boat nasty behavior may well respond positively regarding registration so I am keen to to see it introduced.

Now as for the complete twerp in the aircraft carrier sized sailing cat that I encountered on the wrong side of the fairway a week ago at Westhaven no amount of rules are ever going to alter his thinking or lack of.

I am sticking to my aim straight for the bastards manoeuver which up until now has proved to be very effective.

"look at restrictions in place now,cannot take a dump in a bay without a holding tank and that is only the start,give it 5yrs you wont be able to discharge it,it will have to be pumped ashore."

​Actually the rules in this case work to everybody's advantage and wtf should I or my whanau be swimming in the remnants of your lasts nites dinner.

Pump out facilities will come quicker driven by less boaties complying with the simple holding tank requirements as they stand.

You would be amazed at the amount of poos discharged every time it rains in Auckland,the overflow pipe from sunset rd sewage works runs about 1/2 km out to sea from mairangi bay.(ever wondered when sailing in that area you come across dirty water in that area?)there is not one beach I would swim at in the inner gulf. Not just sewage but all the heavy metals/waste oil/sediment from storm water. The bay next to shark bay ,ponui,chamberlains??its the one that dries right out,use to be plentiful cockles found on soft mud,was there a few weeks ago and where we use to collect cockles is now black sludge and that over a period of time is from the subdivision works from pine harbour down to kawakawa bay. The small island off pine harbour use to have nice firm mussels but now they are soft smelly things caused by antifoul/dredging that has gone on over the years to form pine harbour

Have done water testing at woody bay (rakino)over a long weekend when there has been roughly 40/50 vessels in that vicinity and sample taken were clear. it may be because of holding tanks but I doubt it.

Got it one harrytom.  After all is it not true that every time it rains in Auckland the council pumps raw sewage straight out into the harbour ?  Its just easier for those underworked and overpaid council employees and councilers to lay the blame on boaties.  Heaven forbid that they should fix up there own crap first.

Goff has blamed the sewerage issue on the bad underground pipes. He reckons it has been a 100yr old problem. I think that is a load of rubbish. Or should that be sewerage. He also reckons it could take 30 to 40yrs to fix. I think that is simply due to Auckland being broke and money wasted in other areas, while the important infrastructure is left in ruins.

Thanks for the PM sent, without going into what I do for a profession, I also know a lot about water quality and the source of contaminants in Auckland, and other parts of NZ. Yes septic tanks and failing wastewater systems are a large source of faecal contamination.

But I think you've missed my point. Just cause there is an existing water quality issue doesn't means its ok to sh*t in a bay. The primary problem with doing that off yachts is the what can be described technically as 'visible gross contaminants' - I don't want to see giant turds and toilet paper in the water when I'm swimming, or washing up on the beaches where my kids are playing. Its just a common curtesy, in exactly the same way that everyone is so upset with freedom campers shitting in the bushes.

Its really not hard to use a holding tank. Its very easy to empty them in deep water. I really don't see what the issue is?

Goff has blamed the sewerage issue on the bad underground pipes. He reckons it has been a 100yr old problem. I think that is a load of rubbish. Or should that be sewerage. He also reckons it could take 30 to 40yrs to fix. I think that is simply due to Auckland being broke and money wasted in other areas, while the important infrastructure is left in ruins.

Most of the central isthmus area has combined stormwater and wastewater pipes. They are in the order of 100 years old. When it rains, the wastewater goes straight into the harbour. Meolia / Coxes creek is worse.